PDA

View Full Version : my twin gauge clock pod

Gly
04-06-2007, 04:05 AM
made this yesterday, too the best part of 7/8 hours to do,
damn i hate sanding!!

so since its queens birthday today i thought i would celebrate it by putting it to use...

GroundControl
04-06-2007, 04:15 AM
nice :2thumbsup

chch thomo
04-06-2007, 04:27 AM
very well done, hope you havn!t slapped a patent on it.

bradc
04-06-2007, 04:51 AM
that looks good, almost as good as Rhys's one :) He managed to texture it though, I have no idea how though!

Gly
04-06-2007, 04:55 AM
it was textured paint, i dunno where to buy that thou

bradc
04-06-2007, 05:20 AM
It looks great! I think I'll be able to get some more cups next weekend, and I'll drop them off to you when I can.

Gly
04-06-2007, 06:13 AM
just went for a spritted test spin, stays on the dash no probs :P

does'nt even shake with the sounds cranked right up :P

also wired it up using a relay, so when the dash powers up so do the gauges.
but they draw power direct from the battery, so no dimming on the bass notes,

bradc
04-06-2007, 06:20 AM
thats good, I can't imagine it would fall off or anything anyway.

d i c k i e s
06-06-2007, 11:16 AM
i like that...

BraindG
07-06-2007, 09:01 AM
having made oen myself, i know the pain of sanding! argh - looks sweet, i cant tell from pics, but are the gauges pointing towards driver?

Gly
07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
no. they are centered, was just easier....
and they sit so far forward that i have no issue reading them.

might make a "Mark II" later which will face the driver.

pitslayer
17-06-2007, 01:02 PM
man not those things, i made up a set for my mates fiesta to go on his A pillar, look really good, just a bugger to make them up, then when put them in they ended up cracking off on the bottom, so had to pack them out

they look good thow, you can buy a textured paint on internet i have seen it before,

EDD
17-06-2007, 06:28 PM
I bought a twin guage pod for the a-pillar. It was meant to fit the VR-4 but I had a nightmare trying to get the right shape because the camber of both the guage and the pillar change the further toward the dash that they are. I ended up leaving it. They look smart up there though(and so much easier to fit). Where do you route the cables and pipes when they are fitted up there? And where did you get the pods?

Gly
18-06-2007, 07:49 AM
the cables go down into the dash with the clock cables...

the pods where single pod cups, that i cut the stands off.
then ados'd to the top of the clock cover,
and the a **** load of bog (body filler) then hours of sanding!

rayray24
19-06-2007, 02:30 AM
It was the same thing that i wanted to do but i was going to take the non working piece of crap clock out and fit it to make it look like it was factory.

Looks damn good thou. :pimp2:

And No i don't want to buy one of your clocks :evilgrin: even if they are only $20.

Turbo_Steve
04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Fix the clock? took me less than 10mins, and that was including waiting for the soldering iron to heat up.

Not sure about the gauges on top of the clock.....looks like a wide-mouth-frog.
Brilliant pod, though :D Would look brilliant if you sacrificed the clock.

Davezj
04-04-2008, 08:48 PM
this is a bit of an old thread to be replying to isn't it!!!

Turbo_Steve
04-04-2008, 11:26 PM
A little bit, but I felt it was worth commenting, as it's something I'm actively investimagating at the moment. Classic threads are the best! :D

d i c k i e s
08-04-2008, 12:19 AM
these are for future references. when people are looking for ideas etc.
ive seen threads replied from 2004 and 2005

psbarham
24-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Would look brilliant if you sacrificed the clock.

:D :D :scholar: :scholar:

psbarham
26-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Mark I

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/psbarham/classic2009358.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/psbarham/classic2009365.jpg

the gauges aren't actually that bright (any one else who has swoosh gauges will know what i mean), the camera makes them look worse for some reason, the pod is covered in thick vinyl so it blends in with the dash pretty well

Turbo_Steve
27-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Ohhh yeah, that's a bit more like it!!!!

So: How do you tell the time? :D :D :D :D

Looking good: The clock always looks like Mitsubishi had some kind of plan for that area...and then didn't bother. At the very least a remote display for the stereo.

Now it's doing something car related at last!

psbarham
27-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Ohhh yeah, that's a bit more like it!!!!

So: How do you tell the time? :D :D :D :D

Looking good: The clock always looks like Mitsubishi had some kind of plan for that area...and then didn't bother. At the very least a remote display for the stereo.

Now it's doing something car related at last!

thankyou sir :D

as for the time, seeing as I'm a big boy now i look at my wrist and do a calculation between the position of mickey's big and little hands :rolleyes4

i know what you mean about the clock though, it never looked right somehow, like you say, it's as if they planned a trip computer or fancy stereo display for that gap.

PaddyB
27-07-2009, 11:42 PM
I want one !!!!

Do you have moulds or templates to share. Or can you make more ???

elnevio
27-07-2009, 11:52 PM
TBH - I think it's Mitsi's idea of a long-running joke. It looks exactly the same as the one on the folks' old 1983 Tredia!

I reckon they were seeing how long they could keep putting a simple clock, with H M and SET buttons in more and more modern cars!

psbarham
28-07-2009, 06:47 AM
I want one !!!!

Do you have moulds or templates to share. Or can you make more ???

all i used was a twin gauge pod from fleabay , the knackered clock from my green v6 doner car, some thick vinyl sheet from a fabric shop, a hot glue gun and some body filler

no moulds unfortunately, although if the price was right i could do another one, i would need a clock though as I don't have a spare

all you have to do is

remove the clock from your dash and cut the pod to fit into the dash, there is quite a bit of cutting to do because of the mouldings to support the clock, once you have that cut you then need to make some cardboard templates of the bits of clock you need to cut, all being well you should be left with the 2 end bits with the clips on, these then get glued on and then filled to make the curve smooth, once that's dry and sanded then its time for the fun with the vinyl, this will test your patience, so buy plenty of vinyl just in case /help