PDA

View Full Version : unresolved box problem

wazzo
04-06-2007, 09:46 PM
to carry on from last thread (newbie auto gearbox problem help!!)

Hi, i spent the whole day removing the gearbox of my legnum, and most of sunday stripping the thing, exspecting to find something major wrong but to my amazement i cant find anything, im no pro when it comes to auto boxs but im sure i would notice if any thing was wrong, so dont know what to do next.

any ideas????

Nutter_John
04-06-2007, 09:49 PM
So all the splines look fine , and the sockets they go into look fine , no sign of damage anywhere .

Maybe it is internal to the TC or the GB , did you attempt to strip the box down or just observe from the outside ?

Kieran
04-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Unless it's internal, the only thing I can think is a sensor's gone screwy.... But I've never heard of a busted sensor NOT throwing a fault code and flashing up the 'N' light.

wazzo
04-06-2007, 10:12 PM
thats what i thought, maybe the TC internals! can the TC be checked in any way, as you well know its acompletly sealed unit.

all the splines are fine and the gears, no metal particals

i've stripped the b......d thing right down to the shell, checking all parts as they came out all the clutch plates look like new, its all clean, no heat spots

Nutter_John
04-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Think it sounds like the TC , not sure of a way to check the unit off the car and as you say it is a completely sealed unit .

Maybe Richy may have a few ideas in the morning

wazzo
05-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Yes!!! found the problem!!!!

It was the TC, The TC has two internal splines inside, the upper spline had warn it's self out,

ive been quoted £150 to get the TC recon'd, doe's anyone know where i can get it done cheaper or has a secondhand one available?

Nutter_John
05-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Maybe Zedy1 ( Mo ) has one in ???

Probably best to call him on the number advertised

Kieran
05-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Yes!!! found the problem!!!!

It was the TC, The TC has two internal splines inside, the upper spline had warn it's self out,

ive been quoted £150 to get the TC recon'd, doe's anyone know where i can get it done cheaper or has a secondhand one available?

Careful. It might be best to have a word with the peeps at www.jpat.co.uk.... If the T/C splines have busted, the splines on the input shaft may be on their last legs too. Jpat say they've seen this a number of times with the FWD gearbox, when the T/C lets go.

wazzo
07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Careful. It might be best to have a word with the peeps at www.jpat.co.uk.... If the T/C splines have busted, the splines on the input shaft may be on their last legs too. Jpat say they've seen this a number of times with the FWD gearbox, when the T/C lets go.

Yeah thanks Kieran, checked today and the input shaft is showing signs of wear so looks like i need one of those too Do'h

wazzo
09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
does anyone know why only half of the input shaft splines enter the TC, surely this is a design fault, so out of the 1" of spline only 1/2 is used, owe why owe why??????

stuartturbo
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
it may be down to the machining and stack up of tolerances in assembly.
the first half may be all they can machine accurately with out undercuts etc.
I know when we have machined splined you normally put an undercut at the end of the spline but this reduces the diameter so you need to go larger Its normally a comprimise

or poor design LOL

White Lightning
10-06-2007, 04:44 PM
ive been quoted £150 to get the TC recon'd

That's a useful bit of info ... :afro:

Sounds like you are having great fun with the gearbox. Good luck getting it sorted ...

wazzo
10-06-2007, 08:35 PM
£90 for input shaft, all from jpat, very helpful people, highly recommended, thanks once again to Kieran for this info