PDA

View Full Version : Trans fault 26???

Lucas
05-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi all,

ABS light came on today on the way home which prompted me to do a fault code check. Found the following:

13 + 14 (both of which Mitsis diagnostic computer didn't register and I cannot clear these fault codes)

Now I have 2 new codes as well....

ABS flashes 33
N flashes 26

Now I managed to dig this up.... "On an automatic VRG, fault code 33 relates to the gearbox shifter solenoids. Maybe same for the VR4? I couldn't say for sure."

I have a 25ST

Now I believe this is potentially an issue as whenever the trans is cold the first shift from 2nd to 3rd kinda slips for a mo then thumps into gear.

Problem is I have absolutely no idea what the N 26 is referring to... any ideas? Anyone else had this problem?

Just had a C service a few weeks ago as well so I'm mega tight on cash at the mo and have a week and a half long road trip coming up in a month so a faulty trans aint gonna help too much (then again my warranty is still valid so I could just break something and get it fixed free /pan ) Might also pay to mention that I'm getting ridiculously noisy lifters since the service too. Hot engine or cold it's still noisy, I'm hoping that they just used cheap oil and there's nothing else going on there.

Any light shed would be most appreciated!

bradc
05-06-2007, 07:36 AM
when they did the C service did they change the gearbox oil? If so what sort of oil did they use and how much did they put in? If not, when was the oil last changed? Even if the car is under a warranty they mightn't be too happy if you haven't changed the gearbox oil.

If the tappets suddenly became loud after the service then they probably used the wrong oil, what grade did they put in? Was it synthetic, semi, or mineral?

As for the ABS problem, did the brakes continue to work as they should? Or did the car judder and shake about like the ABS was kicking in?

Lucas
05-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Oh yeah I had the transmission fluid changed as well, forgot to mention that. I'm not exactly sure what fluid they used but I would assume they used the correct fluid as I took it to Mitsubishi on Lincoln Road, it's the one we get club discount through. On the service report the fluid was specified as *** III. Can't remember exactly what it was so I will confirm tomorrow.

The oil grade wasn't specified either but I plan to change it in a couple of weeks back to Castrol Magnatec as I find it's pretty good without being too expensive.

As for the ABS thing... After I locked my car and went inside the house I noticed the tail lights were on, automatically I assumed I had left my headlights on but I checked and they were off. Wasn't sure what was wrong so I pumped the brake pedal a few times and the lights went off. So I have 2 assumptions: The brake pedal may be starting to stick a little, or, the front left caliper which was fixed when I had the service done because it was ceasing, may still be ceasing and causing problems. What you think?

I'm going to investigate further in the weeend as it's almost dark everyday when I get home.

bradc
05-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Did it say Dexron something or SP3? How many litres did they charge you for?

It sounds like the brake pedal might be sticking a bit, and that might be what was bringing up that fault code, it's a bit difficult to say, but if you find that the brake lights often stay on when you've got out of the car then that would be the first thing I would check.

Lucas
06-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Ok I've checked the service report, I really should have checked this more thoroughly the first time as my registration number is somebody elses it seems :thinking:

Anyway the Trans fluid is described as MMSP-III and it doesn't specify how many litres were used but the cost of the fluid is $164.40 excl GST. This sounds pretty high to me when I was quoted $300 for the fluid and labour for the change alone however when I balance it out along with the C service and fixing the left front caliper (although they only lubed it) it kinda seems to work out alright... $673.60 incl GST... what do you think? Sound fair enough? I reckon it could be a lil steep considering that includes trade discount.

As for the engine oil, all it says is MSL and costs $57.65 excl GST. Now that definately sounds expensive to me considering I can get Magnatec for $40 and it does a much better job.

Another thing I was annoyed about and should have gone back for was that they didn't adjust my handbrake which is rather loose at the mo. No big one really as I'm quite capable of doing it but it's just one of those things. The service was a month ago tomorrow so I might go back and see if they want to sort a few things out for me (including too much trans fluid in the box).

Oh and just noticed, Happy Birthday Brad!

bradc
06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
SP-III is what they put in which is the original mitsi oil and is perfectly fine. At that price I would say they probably put in quite a bit, but I would still suggest that you call them up and ask how many litres they used in total.

Lucas
08-06-2007, 05:21 AM
Ok I figured out the problem with the brake lights staying on, the switch towards the top of the brake pedal had been arcing accross the contacts and had actually welded itself closed resulting in permanent brake lights. I took it apart today and managed to get the contacts open again and although there's a wee chunk of metal missing it now functions normally again. It took the computer nearly 20km before it decided to put the ABS light on this morning to warn me there was something wrong. Anyway that's one problem sorted...

Subaru ETA
08-06-2007, 08:16 AM
the mitsi oil is like 5wsomething grade i think.... when i went to castrol 5w30 it started tapping abit so went back to mag 10w30 and she is mint

Lucas
09-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah the service resport doesn't specify any grade but regardless of what it is I reckon I'll just go back to magnatec as its tried and true for me.

Man I been busy changing my front bumper a bit tonight. I've taken it off and have chopped out the ugly 25ST grill and am putting mesh in instead as it's sort of an improvement. Problem is I decided I'd have a few drinkies while I did it and I've been working in the dark. Tomorrow will no doubt reveal multiple scratches all over the bumper :speechles