PDA

View Full Version : Gurgling sounds from engine

scc
05-06-2007, 08:05 AM
The car has this really strange gurgling sounds coming from the engine area when I turn the steering (even just ever so slightly). Sounds like gurgle gurgle slurp slurp....?

Not had a chance to check out the source from the engine yet, but is it a determinental sign of things to come?

Cheers,
scc

Kieran
05-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Weird! I'll shoot for the obvious one, is your Power Steering fluid topped up? No air bubbles in the reservoir tank?

White Lightning
05-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Yep. Air in the power steering fluid would be my first guess too.

scc
05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Cheers guys.

If it is the PS fluid, then can I just top it up with any PS fluid?

The last time I looked, the fluid was OK. The coolant though was way below level, but mitsu said not to worry about it as it was just an overflow?

Cheers
scc

Paul Beazer
05-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Mine makes a sort of swishing noise when i first start it up and move the steering, but ok after that. Its done it since i've had it and it hasnt got any worse on 2 1/2 years. PS fluid was ok tho....

Davezj
05-06-2007, 01:34 PM
to clear air in PS don't you just turn it lock to lock a few time. making sure you have plenty of fluid in the tank. fluid is ATF. and it should clear it's self.

I have just replaced my fluid using the artical in the members area worked a treat no mess no fuss 20 min including set time. just make sure you have the right tubes.

Dave

scc
05-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Weird! I'll shoot for the obvious one, is your Power Steering fluid topped up? No air bubbles in the reservoir tank?

You were spot on! The fluid looked just below level, but when I started the car, the fluid was near full, but it made the most horrendous slurping/nuts and bolts clatter which sounded like it was coming from the belts.

I opened the fluid container to take a peek, and didn't like what I saw. On the outside the level looked perfect! When I took a real look at the liquid it was all froth giving an inflated appearance on the outside.

So I topped it up with the raspberry flavoured amsoil ATF, and the noise disappeared and no more froth. The car sounds so much smoother now, and I think there was a slow build up of the problem that was contributing to the overall cabin noise.

Could also explain why my other G th steering seems to slip on slow turning. Could be the deceiving froth again!

Cheers!
scc

amsoil
06-06-2007, 01:24 AM
Yep you where low on PS fluid. Quickly diagnosed and equally quickly sorted. Frothing, yep, oil can do that, even Motul is aweful at that with dire consequences but its late / early and I must be in Liverpool in too few hours so just think about it and when I have time I will tell you about it

scc
06-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Does this indicate that there is a PS fluid leak somewhere?

scc

Kieran
06-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Good to hear you're sorted, a nice easy fix for a change!:afro:

White Lightning
06-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Does this indicate that there is a PS fluid leak somewhere?

scc

Possibly. But now that you have topped up to the correct level I would just monitor the level and see what happens ...