PDA

View Full Version : advice on buying wine from france

gaz70
05-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Its my wedding this year and i am thinking of a dover calais run to get all the wine. Never done this before and thought some litle tips might be good, so if you think you have anything useful to add please reply. CHEERS:thinking:

Nick Mann
05-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Taste in wine is a very personal thing. It is difficult to give recommendations. The one thing I would recommend is that you don't go with the attitude of buying the cheapest. You can buy wine in Calais for well under 2 euros a bottle, but its not very good. Double that and you can get some wine that most should enjoy. If you are willing to go to 6-8 euros a bottle you should find stuff that will set you back more than £10 over here in the supermarkets.

I would recommend making a two day journey and having a tasting session! Or take a nominated driver. There is a place just outside Calais, near the entry to the chunnel, that has a tasting bar. I think it is called Franglais? The prices are not as good as the hypermarkets, but the choice is good and there are american/australian wines that you will have heard of, eg Jacobs Creek, Turning Leaf, Rosemont Estate, etc.

Me personally, prefer a red to a white. I like a good Claret for the heavy stuff (anything that says 'Grand Vin du Bordeaux' should be a good bet) or Cotes du Rhone for a lighter style. 4-5 Euros a bottle in the hypermarket on either of those and I enjoy them every time!

Do I sound like an alcoholic yet? :P /drinkswine

Kieran
05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
My uncle's done numerous booze runs. When I next see him I'll ask him what to look out for in terms of 'logistics' and stuff.

If nothing else, you've got a cracking vehicle for scarpering with a shedload of hooch! /Devil5

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding by the way!/Poms

Spirit
05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Not sure if it's the same for wine/booze as fags, but maybe worth nipping over the border to Belgium as they are cheaper for fags.

http://www.day-tripper.net/tobaccoinbelgium.html

Get the Norfolkline to Dunkerque and nip to Adinkerke

Physician
05-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Do I sound like an alcoholic yet? :P /drinkswine

No ........ but you look like one :evilgrin:

Physician
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Not sure if it's the same for wine/booze as fags, but maybe worth nipping over the border to Belgium as they are cheaper for fags.

http://www.day-tripper.net/tobaccoinbelgium.html

Get the Norfolkline to Dunkerque and nip to Adinkerke

I always went to Adinkerke for fags - but forget wine as they don't have much choice. The large outlets in Calais are far better.