PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump

muppet
06-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know if the power steering pump on a Leggy VR4 is fitted to any other models/cars?

Or does anyone have any idea of the price of a flow control valve?

Nutter_John
06-06-2007, 08:21 PM
You have just reminded me to ring you back :$

I had an idea for you to try so will call you later or in the morning

muppet
06-06-2007, 08:27 PM
No worries, know you're busy, so much other stuff to do. blah,blah,blah. :smoking: :smoking: :smoking: :5shots: :zzz: ( so I'm told......)

stuartturbo
06-06-2007, 09:13 PM
whats wrong with it then
I am tempt to try and change mine for a bit heavier steering

muppet
06-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Sorry, got distracted.

You can read the previous owners thead on the problem (power steering not working at low engine revs etc.) but I'm pretty sure its the flow valve, so wanted to know if a second hand pump would be cheaper than a valve from Mitsi. The one on the Christine (the leggy) has an "extra" mounting hole so I wondered what else it was designed to fit i.e. pump for a VR4=£200 / pump for a 1.6 lancer(?)=£20.

I've already replaced all the seals & re-conned the pump, the belts are now all clean & in good con. new fluid , bled, etc.The only thing I haven't done ( due to lack of equipment ) is pressure tested it. Yet the problem persists. The previous owner came to the same conclusion, but replaced the wrong part.

I've asked Ritchie & John about this, but they've never had cause to find out, so I thought it would be worth asking the question.

Does anyone want the part number of the seal kit, by the way? The pumps are a portion of urine to strip, & the seal kit is £30.

Is there a place for this kinda info ? Still a newbie!/bounce

Nutter_John
06-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Yep you need to find caps , I will look it up in the morning for ya cos the idea i had i need to check via caps

richy rich
07-06-2007, 01:25 PM
MD318203 valve p/s idle

muppet
07-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Cheers Rich, guess you've got a touch of insomnia then. Mrs Muppet has found a complete pump and ordered it (£95). She's fed up with seeing me under the car, or more to the point, how rough I feel after.
So I'll bang that on tomorrow when it arrives & see what happens. On the good side, I can now remove a power steering pump in under 10 minutes.

Nutter_John
07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
we can do it in 2 mins , but an angle grinder is used :p

But that is a good price for the pump

muppet
07-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah yeah. You're just showing off again.

richy rich
07-06-2007, 08:11 PM
That is how we take all engines out./haz

AKKO
13-04-2014, 03:12 AM
Just stumbled onto this thread as found one of the vac lines to this valve disconnected and have been trying to identify the possible symptoms...

Did replacing the valve / pump solve your problem, was the steering noisey at low RPM?