PDA

View Full Version : Xenon light for my Galant?

WeVo
06-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi folk,

i'm a german guy with a galant avance V6.
I'm searching for Xenon lights for my Galant. But i found nothing special.
Have you experience with Xenon lights?
When there is nothing special, which conversion / extension kit do you approve and where can you buy it? Thanks a lot.

greetings from germany

Markus

MarkSanne
06-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi,

Me and a friend of mine both have a 8G galant which we will be converting to Xenon the coming weeks. The Xenon sets will arrive any day, so as soon as they do and I've got some news, I'll post it here!

WeVo
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Perfect Thanks! I'm waiting for your experience.
You have a VR4 in the netherlands? A right hand drive? Thanks

MarkSanne
07-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Perfect Thanks! I'm waiting for your experience.
You have a VR4 in the netherlands? A right hand drive? Thanks

Well... it's orignally a Left hand drive V6 elegance model converted with a VR4 engine, so I've learned that on this forum, they call this a VR-2 (since it only has front wheel drive instead of 4-wheel drive).

You'll find more info about my ride and some pictures in my newbie-topic (and other topics) on this forum.

WeVo
08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Great!!! That's exactly that what i'm searching for!
I want to upgrade my Avance to a VR4 too!
How much have you payed for the engine?
Have you bought a crashed car to got the engine or how do you got the engine?
How long took the conversion?
Great car!
Have you any Problems with the technical inspection agency concerning the homologation? Thanks a lot for your information!

Greetings

Markus

MarkSanne
08-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Great!!! That's exactly that what i'm searching for!
I want to upgrade my Avance to a VR4 too!
How much have you payed for the engine?
Have you bought a crashed car to got the engine or how do you got the engine?
How long took the conversion?
Great car!
Have you any Problems with the technical inspection agency concerning the homologation? Thanks a lot for your information!

Greetings

Markus

Hi Markus (coincidence on the name!), The VR4 engine came from england from a crashed VR4. It was just the engine, cabling and ECU. The previous owner arranged all this which was installed by a friend of him and some help from company's. I don't know how much he has payed for the engine. What I do know is that including engine, labour, parts, modified suspension and a custom dual exhaust he payed close to 25000 euro). The conversion took a couple of months (could be done a lot faster for full time tuners I recon). Since the front subframe had to be slightly altered to get the exhaust outlet in place and working it's way down, this could give problems if the car would go to official technical inspection by our RDW agency. However, this is avoided by the fact that the orginal engine was also V6 2.5 litre. As fas as any regular check goes, this is good enough, since the VR4 is just as well V6 2.5L. Should a conversion being made from a 4-cylinder Galant, it's a must to go through the officals and then the altered subframe could give troubles there. Ofcourse, this is the Dutch situation, I don't know how those legal things work in Germany, but the car in it's converted state has already past 3 years our Dutch annual APK (don't know the german word, english is MOT, it's a technical check every car older than 3 years must go through).

Should you want to be completely on the safe side: buy a frontclip VR4 so you'll have all the parts and correct subframe. Although even with just the engine you can do it properly by buying the official front subframe. The cost of the Front subframe/crossmember for a VR4 is £1125.87 + VAT plus shipping costs. The mitsubishi part number is MR297541. Any mitsubishi dealer should be able to (special) order it.

I'd love to see more left hand drive VR4's on the mainland! We could start a little sub-club of clubvr4 as well ;) although... as far as I know, there are only about 14 of these lefthand drive conversions being done so far worldwide. nr. 15 is coming up end of this summer in Holland (would be number 3 in holland then). So it would still be a very limited club. Almost feel like I own a car that is more unique than the averige Ferrari/Lambo/etc. :)

Anyways: keep us updated here! Love to see / read about your plans & progress!

WeVo
08-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Wow thanks for your informations!

OK now it's a fact that i will convert him to a VR4. But first i must save the money to buy all the beautiful spare parts.

One question more, you have a manual gear box (MT)? Right?
The VR4 was from a manual gearbox too? Or was it from an automatic gearbox?

Because i have a manual gearbox.
Is it possible to upgrade the propeller shaft and the rear axel?
I hope i will be number 16 ;) and then i will be a member of your sub club ;)Thanks for your help. It's fact i will do it.
But first i must save money now and must looking for a crashed vr4 right hand drive.

Another thing i have seen that you have navigation system. Which one/which brand? Is it with a board computer?

OK now i come back to the starting theme please keep me update about the xenon lights.
Why is it a coincidence with my name?

Thanks a lot.

Markus

MarkSanne
08-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Mine is a manual (orginally). The standard V6 Galant gearbox can cope with the VR4 engine powers as long as you put in an upgraded clutch & pressure plate. I am installing mine the coming month. I've got a 'custom' ACT clutchkit. If you ever need info on this: let me know. The costs of this kit is somewhere around 500 euro.

The engine & ECU were from an automatic VR4. This (as I have learned) has only 1 drawback: the automatic ECU's limit the engine to 260bhp instead of 280.

My Galant is not fully converted into 4-wheel, it's just front wheel drive. But despite my earlier thoughts that this is near dangerous/uncontrollable, I'm absolutely delighted the way it drives. Even accelerating from standstill goes without any problems (the 225x45x17" on Toyo Proxes R1 help I guess).

The navigation is a Pioneer AVIC-HD1BT. This is a 7" touchscreen with DVD, dual-zone, radio, harddisk, mp3, bluetooth carkit-function, 3D gyro (all kinds of funky measurements from acceleration, speed, voltage, cornering-degree, etc,etc), it also has an true iPod connector (so the unit controls the ipod). In one of my two other Galants (both 6th genreation models) I have also put in one of these Pioneers (mitsubishi was way ahead of it's time to put in a 2-DIN slot in 1988 when the 6G Galant was introduced).

Pioneer has recently updated the AVIC-HD1BT with the AVIC-HD3BT. This has even cooler navigation graphics and some minor other changes (the outside looks exactly the same though).

About the name: "Mark" / "Markus"... looks a lot alike don't it?!

WeVo
14-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi Mark,

have you some news about the Xenon Lights for me? Thanks a lot.

Markus

MarkSanne
14-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Sorry mate, been busy with two of my Galants. Mostly bodywork. Repainted lots of stuff by a pro painter, removed the towbar, put in a reverse / backside camera and did lots and lots of little maintanance/patch-up things while the car was in the workshop and stripped of several parts (cleaning, removing dust and grease from places I'll probably never see again, fixed some bits of rust on the underbody, put on a new coating on the underbody, etc, etc.

So the Xenons... I'm hoping to have some time for it the coming week! I'll definitly update you asap!

I just came home with the VR2 after refitting the last freshly repainted part: the backside bumper (with the reverse cam). So my baby is home again, after being away for almost a week.

WeVo
21-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Some news? ;-D

MarkSanne
21-06-2007, 09:02 PM
sorry still no luck... forgot my 3rd cars' (another 6G Galant GTI) MOT was (and now is) expired. And I knew it needed a new exhaust, new front springs and some minor little things, so today I got all but one little thing ready for MOT (fitted a new Fujisubo sports exhaust, darn nice! heavy, black, modest sound, love it!).

So no news on converting the headlights to Xenon on the 8G, so so very sorry. I'm not even gonna say that I'll try to get it done this week (oops, now I did)... ;)

MarkSanne
28-06-2007, 08:53 AM
finally... this coming saturday I will do the conversion, hopefully all together with a set of white halo's (or "angel eyes", don't know what you call these rings). I'll do it with a friend of mine who has done the conversion before. So updates are to be expected very soon!

Johnny_Cashed
28-06-2007, 12:48 PM
What are you using for the angel eyes? Those fluro tubes or the pyrex/LED option?

MarkSanne
28-06-2007, 01:02 PM
What are you using for the angel eyes? Those fluro tubes or the pyrex/LED option?

Fluro tube things. Just got to realise I won't be doing anything but driving in my Galant this saturday... darned... sorry. Will be later... again.

Johnny_Cashed
28-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks for that, I intend to put them in some time (when I have some more cash, and after I've done everything else I need to do :( ) it'd help me if you could say what diameter rings you are using, so I don't need to open up my lights first to check. I'll have a spare headlight I'm going to practice on first anyway, just so I get the hang of it.

Catalan
28-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Here in Moscow (in out club) , we have 2 VR-4 converted to left hide :)

and thread in our site, whith photos about it :),

here in Russia convert price around 5000 USD (work and parts).

WeVo
28-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Oh! Where do you get this Angel Eyes? Some Pics please! Thanks.

MarkSanne
08-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Finally... the complete step-by-step 'workshop' for converting your 8G Galant headlights into Xenon (I used the Camco H7 Xenon 8000K HID conversion kit).

Step 1
uploaded/1887/1183931004.jpg
Open up the hood!

Step 2
uploaded/1887/1183931056.jpg
Look at that... this car is looking almost scary now! Almost like a hammerd down skull. Anywayz, to get it done theeasiest way is by removing tboth headlights. To do this, you'll also need to remove the grille which is held in place by a few plastic locking pins (just push the plastic pins down with a screwdriver and the pop loose). My lamps (non-VR4) are bolted with 3 M10 bolts and one philips-screw. Get em loose!

Step 3
uploaded/1887/1183931079.jpg
So that's what it looks like, nothing done with it yet.

Step 4
uploaded/1887/1183931118.jpg
Removed rubber sealer.

Step 5
uploaded/1887/1183931136.jpg
Removed original H7 lamp.

Step 6
uploaded/1887/1183931155.jpg
Place the Xenon lamp (keep the rubber ring on the lamp).

Step 7
uploaded/1887/1183931177.jpg
Place the metal holding clip back so the H7 Xenon lamp will be locked tight.

Step 8
uploaded/1887/1183931196.jpg
Pull the Xenon cables through the big rubber sealer.

Step 9
uploaded/1887/1183931217.jpg
Connect the large Xenon lamp-plug onto the Xenon power-convertor-box.

Step 10
uploaded/1887/1183931233.jpg
Connect the two other Xenon wires fron the convertor-box to the corresponding plugs on the Xenon bulb.

Step 11
uploaded/1887/1183931249.jpg
Place the two flat 12V power-connectors onto the orginal H7 connector.

Step 12
uploaded/1887/1183931276.jpg
Turn on the light and "Shine on you crazy diamond!"

With a big thank you to my friend Mark Deen (MD) aka 'Dutch Driver' who not only is now considered (by me) to be the master-headlight-convertor-of-all-times (he has done this conversion a few weeks back using VR4 headlight, seems to be exactly the same). By the way: I took the pictures, and it's his hands you see on the pictures.

This week I'll try to update on the addition of the halo rings / angel eyes (bought on eBay). I will add a little course of that too.

Johnny_Cashed
08-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Excellent info, thanks very much!

pezza
09-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Looks good Mark... Night vision with the HIDs must be huge improvement now. No complaints from oncoming cyclists yet? :-)

how tightly did the bulbs fit into the existing holders? Does your car have in car, headlamp level adjustment?

Will be interesting to see how the angel eyes get on with the HID bulbs but I guess the bulbs running a fair bit cooler than the standard bulbs.

MarkSanne
09-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Looks good Mark... Night vision with the HIDs must be huge improvement now. No complaints from oncoming cyclists yet? :-)

how tightly did the bulbs fit into the existing holders? Does your car have in car, headlamp level adjustment?

Will be interesting to see how the angel eyes get on with the HID bulbs but I guess the bulbs running a fair bit cooler than the standard bulbs.

Thanks Pezza! I haven't seen the impovement yet. As we now have daylight up to around 10.30pm (CET summertime adjustment) I didn't feel like going out and check it out anymore. Probably I'll see it tonight.

What I have heard from MD (dutch driver) is that he has never had any signalling or complaints so far. He is using the VR4 headlights, but with the LHD original reflectors from the original normal Galant so essentialy exactly the same light pattern.

The bulbs fitted very good and tight into the excisting holders. And yes I have got the electronic headlamp level adjustment (now test-setted to '4').

I can't wait myself to put in the angeleyes!

WeVo
17-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi Mark,

is the Xenon light effect with 8000k ok?

Markus

WeVo
17-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Mark,

its me again. How much had payed for the conversion kit?
Thanks a lot.

Markus

MarkSanne
17-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi Markus, the kit is 8000K indeed. The manufacturer (Camco systems) also sell other sets (6000K and I think upto 12000K).

I payed just under 200 euro's for this kit.

WeVo
17-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Have you bought H1 and H7 "light bulbs" or only H7 (dim light)

WeVo
17-07-2007, 05:04 PM
What do you think about the conversion kits which are sold by ebay.

MarkSanne
17-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Just the H7.

I don't know anything about the ebay kits, but just like anything: if it sound too good to be true it probably is!

WeVo
18-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh it's so crazy!
I wonder me about the crowd of xenon conversion kits.
The price starts by 89 € and ends by 180 €.
But the question is which conversion kit should i buy?
I'm getting crazy!!!!!! ;-D
http://search.ebay.de/xenon-nachruestsatz_W0QQfromZR34QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQsatitl eZxenonQ20nachrQfcstsatzQQsbrsrtZl
http://search-desc.ebay.de/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&satitle=8000k+xenon&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&fts=2&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=55494&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=3%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

WeVo
23-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi Mark,

i bought me a xenon conversion kit via ebay.
Now i can decide if i want a kit with 6000k or 8000k.
I want a cold look.
Is 8000k too blue? Or is it ok?
Which kelvinvalue is like an original xenon light?
Thanks a lot!

Markus

MarkSanne
24-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Markus,

The 6000K is true white, the 8000K is white with a very slight blue-ish tint. If you want 'cold' you should go for 8000K definately! It's not as blue as you see sometimes with the halogen bulbs that have the 'xenon-look' effect.

I don't know what kelvin value orginal xenon is, but I think it's 8000K.

WeVo
27-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi Mark,

i have bought a conversion kiz for 150 €. But i have a Problem the body of the bulbbottom is to flat. There is no rubber pad like by your xenon kit. So the xenon bulb isn't fixed correctly. Have you any idea how i could fix it? Thanks a lot!

Markus

dutch driver
27-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Mark,

i have bought a conversion kiz for 150 €. But i have a Problem the body of the bulbbottom is to flat. There is no rubber pad like by your xenon kit. So the xenon bulb isn't fixed correctly. Have you any idea how i could fix it? Thanks a lot!

Markus

WEVO
did you buy the kit an ebay??
can you make some pic's off the bulb.
for on the back off the bulb to fit it correcly you can use o round piece of rubber or something.
it must be flex and 1 cm big.

WeVo
27-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi,

yes i bought the kit at ebay because the builder of the xenon kit is a german company. In this moment i haven't a cam to make pics so i search at ebay for pic here it comes
http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/a2/40/0afb_1_bl.JPG

I could take a camping mat to make the rubber peaces is it ok?
Thanks!

Markus

MarkSanne
28-07-2007, 06:59 AM
shouldn't be a problem to make a rubber seal from your camping mat, the heat is quite limited so you'll be ok.

was the kit you bought specifically for H7 ? Mine had a perfect connector-bezel fitting with the same shape as the original H7 bulb-bezels have.

WeVo
28-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Yes it is a special H7 Conversion kit.
The plastic socket has the same look like a H7 bulb.
But it is without a rubber pad.
Where have you installed the cable from the battery to left light?
And how/where do you install the starter boxes.
Must you edit the rubber adapter to become the light "waterproof"?
Thanks a lot!

Markus

WeVo
28-07-2007, 01:58 PM
So now i have an idea.
I will make i kind of washer with acrylic plastic.
And drill a hole in the middle of the washer.
I make 5 peaces for each light. After that i have a 1 cm big plastic holder like the original. The acryl plastic works till 60°C so i think i is no problem. To use it.

MarkSanne
29-01-2008, 07:39 PM
A little bit of an old topic, but the VR2 was just MOT-ed last week and the Xenon were no problem at all, it passed even when set at the highest level (I still have the electrical-adjustable originals). But my good friend dutch driver has converted a VR4-set of headlights to LHD + same Xenon set and again not problems.

dutch driver
29-01-2008, 07:45 PM
yeah baby yeah
/woot2 :beerbang: