PDA

View Full Version : Help! My back wheels sound like they're sharpening knives!

tomaski
07-06-2007, 01:37 AM
The title says it all really!

I drive a 1996 Mitsi Galant VR4, it's almost totally standard and is in fairly good nick. (If I say so myself...)

Anyways, problem started the other day when I'm turning right at 30mph+...

... sounds like knives being sharpened on the driver's side rear, not too loud and seems to be in time with the rotations of the wheel. Sometimes continues on after I exit a turn and go in a straight line, but never for very long.

No drag on speed or turning, no excessive heat on the disc, I had all the pads on the car changed around two months ago and that was all done professionally.

I'm stumped before I've started - I'm not great shakes when it comes to the tech stuff, but maybe you chaps know the fault or can at least hazard a guess.

As always, cheers in advance!

mpau009
07-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Hazard a guess! thats my middle name:scholar:

Are the bearings appropriately tight? Not rough, no play etc.
Assuming your tyres arent rubbing somewhere, id assume it must be related to bearings or brakes?

But the first thing i thought of though was the front arch liners, mine came loose, and would rub when cornering under load. Wasnt until they were shredded that i figured out what it was/pan

Kieran
07-06-2007, 08:57 AM
My Rear pads started doing this when they wore out - At first I thought it was something more serious as it was related to cornering (at least initially).

I-S
07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
I had this from front brakes in the past - it was the dust shield that sits behind the brake disc, rubbing against the disc at times. Bent the shield away slightly and it disappeared.

Nick VR4
07-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Yeap could be the shims moving also try copper slip on them

tomaski
07-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Ok chaps, just sent it into my favourite garage this morning cause the problem got a whole lot worse and the noise was getting bloody scary.

However, as I drove there... no noise and when I got there the mechanic didn't look like he had a clue.

Best part was when he told me it could be £300+ and that seeing as parts are hard to source, it might be in for a few days.

I do appreciate the advice folks, but when it comes to my brakes - especially on this beastie... I really don't want to take risks. At least if it's a garage they're suddenly liable if anything goes wrong.

If it is just a little thing, fair enough but if it's something dangerous I'm really not qualified to spot it.

Paul Beazer
07-06-2007, 12:25 PM
£300!!! FFS. I'll bet you that much its something simple and easy to fix!

White Lightning
07-06-2007, 12:32 PM
So they just plucked a figure of £300 out the air .. eh ? /Grrr

How can they do that when they have no idea what the problem is? I would say from your description of the problem that it's probably something related to the rear brakes ...

Wodjno
07-06-2007, 01:00 PM
£300 for what ??

What have they diagnosed as the issue... ??

I'd put money on it being Low Brake Pads..

Some pads have a small piece off metal riveted to the side of the pad ! When the pad gets low, the metal contacts with the discs and squeals like a Banshee !
Initially you will only hear this while turning as the pads are not low enough to keep it in contact continuously.. But will contact due the flex of the wheel while cornering :inquisiti

If i'm wrong you can have my car !!!

Paul Beazer
07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
If i'm wrong you can have my car !!!

Seeing as how he's already got a VR4, can i have it instead? Seeing as we're throwing wild bets about?

Wodjno
07-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Seeing as how he's already got a VR4, can i have it instead? Seeing as we're throwing wild bets about?

It's not a Wild Bet /pan

tomaski
07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Ok folks! Turns out my front pads were down to the metal - amazing considering I'd changed them just two months ago. I must admit that perhaps I've been a little throttle heavy at times, but a whole front set in two months?

... I'm not so sure. Anyways - I'll be sure to pour over it with the mechanic who did the work, perhaps there is something else at fault? Total cost of the work is £170, which is expensive for pads but not totally unreasonable.

Oh and just so everybody knows, the pads I bought were the standard ones avaliable from Camskill, just in case anybody has any further info on them.

Once again, I'm loving the VR4 forum for delivering answers accurately and quickly. Thanks to all for the input.

Sorry Paul Beazer, looks like Wodjno is keeping his whip for the time being!

Paul Beazer
07-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Ok folks! Turns out my front pads were down to the metal - amazing considering I'd changed them just two months ago. I must admit that perhaps I've been a little throttle heavy at times, but a whole front set in two months?

... I'm not so sure. Anyways - I'll be sure to pour over it with the mechanic who did the work, perhaps there is something else at fault? Total cost of the work is £170, which is expensive for pads but not totally unreasonable.

Oh and just so everybody knows, the pads I bought were the standard ones avaliable from Camskill, just in case anybody has any further info on them.

Once again, I'm loving the VR4 forum for delivering answers accurately and quickly. Thanks to all for the input.

Sorry Paul Beazer, looks like Wodjno is keeping his whip for the time being!
£170 for front pads! £50 quid max for std pads and £20 labour. RIP OFF PRICES MATE!

Spirit
07-06-2007, 06:12 PM
£170 for front pads! £50 quid max for std pads and £20 labour. RIP OFF PRICES MATE!

Totally agree.......one hour labour tops.......I pay £110 for my pads alone and my bill would still be under £150 !

Don't pay that price FFS !

Paul Beazer
08-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Totally agree.......one hour labour tops.......I pay £110 for my pads alone and my bill would still be under £150 !

Don't pay that price FFS !
Unless he's including new disks in that price, walk away!

Davezj
08-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Standard pads at camskill £26 take 20min tops to change each side on the road side. in a garage 10-15 mins i can do mine in 10 min a side. DIY

Dave