PDA

View Full Version : New Galant Fortis reveiled in Japan

MGV6
10-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Some of you may have already seen the pictures, but what I didn't know (until today) was that the Lancer will be renamed to “GALANT FORTIS” for the Japan domestic market.

http://news.windingroad.com/countriesmarkets/japan/mitsubishi-details-evolution-x-and-galant-fortis-for-japan/

The “Fortis” apparently Latin for “Strong, steadfast, courageous.”

The lancer leads the company in good standing among the leading competitors for so many generations and very well established so why would they want to change its name? Lancer Fortis would have been the obvious choice.

and why can't they use that name for the upcoming UK version?

Kieran? ;)

KiwiTT
10-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Hmm. No specs on the non-EVO version yet. Could be the same as the Us version. The AUS version may have the 2.4 Litre motor.

I am driving a 2.4 Litre Lancer currently (pending the return of my mine (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=255867#post255867) ) and boy it wheelspins easily. However as it is not the VR-X model, it wallows quite a lot.

d i c k i e s
18-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Well last week, i saw it with my own eyes.

I spotted 1 just last week, cos i work next to mitsi motors. I had to look twice.
Yup, it was this exact same one (Mitsubishi Galant Fortis) Maroon Red or candy Red whatever it is.

They have taken it out a few times for a run.. Might i say... looks very nice!

KiwiTT
18-09-2007, 02:59 AM
According to AutoZine (http://www.autozine.org/html/Mitsubishi/Lancer.html) a 2.4 could be in the works
Another jointly developed "World Engine" to be debuted next year is the 2.4-liter version, expected to produce 172 horses.

d i c k i e s
18-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Was quite shocked to see one.. looks nice... (all i can say)

bradc
18-09-2007, 05:15 AM
Do you know if mitsi are going to be selling them here in NZ?

d i c k i e s
18-09-2007, 11:52 AM
dont know? ill ask one of the guys if i seem em...

Ohh yeah one of the employees own a 96/97 Black prefacelift VR4.
No Mods though?

Might i mention too... is that they have a 96 Silver prefacelift Galant as one of there fleet vehicles?
i see different people driving it everyday. sometimes they dont take it, it stays overnight?

HMG1K
18-09-2007, 01:03 PM
This is the Galant Fortis - or Lancer Sportsback hatch that will launch in the UK in 2009

MGV6
18-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Front looks cool, back looks poo!

ritch_w
18-09-2007, 05:17 PM
the side view windows look like the old mazda 323 (96 - 99 model i think)

gdelargy
18-09-2007, 06:12 PM
I think both the new Lancer saloon and the upcoming hatch/sportback look an awful lot like existing Alfas, which will presumably the cudgel the Euro-biased press will bash them with. Sigh...

Mitsubishi have also announced that they're switching production of the Euro-market Outlander to the NedCar plant where the Colt is currently built. Apparently the Mizushima plant is overstretched trying to meet demand for the new Lancer, so other models currently built there are having their production shifted to alternate locations. I guess that's a good sign for the company's financial health.

Rather bizarrely, the PSA versions of the Outlander which Mitsubishi builds for Citroen and Peugeot won't also shift to NedCar. Instead, production will move from Mizushima to Nagoya, where all other Outlanders are made. So, what would you rather have, a Japanese car built in the Netherlands, or a French car built in Japan?

Regards,
G

HMG1K
18-09-2007, 06:24 PM
French car built in Japan! But then I've just defeated my own objective of Japanese cars being better built..!

If you ever drove a Carisma (I only did when my Galant went in for servicing) then you'll recognise this... The Carisma, built at the NedCar plant, didn't feel it was screwed together as well Mitsubishi's other Japanese built cars... Just the whole feel and touch of the materials felt cheap... Considering this was a joint venture with the then Volvo S40, Volvo got the better deal..!

The Lancer hatchback / sportsback is meant to fill the whole left by the Galant over here (being larger than the outgoing Lancer... How small can Mitsubishi downsize..? I remember when it ditched the awsum Sigma 3.0L because the then 1998 Galant saloon and estate were large enough... It then axed the Galant in the UK because the Lancer is big enough... Lets hope in a generation they don't ditch that and we're all driving Colts! hehe!

gdelargy
18-09-2007, 06:33 PM
New cars getting ever fatter. The current VW Polo is something like 200mm (8") longer than the original Mk.1 Golf. Same thing is probably happening with the Lancer/Galant.

G

Kieran
18-09-2007, 09:13 PM
If you ever drove a Carisma (I only did when my Galant went in for servicing) then you'll recognise this... The Carisma, built at the NedCar plant, didn't feel it was screwed together as well Mitsubishi's other Japanese built cars... Just the whole feel and touch of the materials felt cheap...

Totally agree. The new Colt (the Euro-Spec one) is built at NedCar. Not sure about the JDM variant, but yeah - A marked decline in fit, finish and overall 'feel' compared to the previous generation. A shame really as it does have some innovative features.

HMG1K
18-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Here's the official press release from Mitsubishi about switching production of the Euro-market Outlander to the NedCar that gdelargy mentioned earlier...

Mitsubishi Motors transfers Outlander production for Europe

In order to keep up with the strong demand for Outlander in Europe and new Lancer* worldwide, Mitsubishi Motors Corporation has decided to transfer production of the Outlander (for European markets) to its regional production hub (Netherlands Car B.V. [NedCar], Born, the Netherlands) during 2008.

The company currently produces Outlander at its Nagoya Plant in Okazaki, Aichi Prefecture and the new SUVs for PSA Peugeot Citroën at its Mizushima Plant in Kurashiki, Okayama Prefecture. As production of the Europe-market Outlander shifts from Nagoya to NedCar, production of the new SUVs supplied to PSA Peugeot Citroën will be transferred from Mitsubishi Motors' Mizushima Plant to its Nagoya Plant.

The decision to make the above transfers has been taken in order to ease the strain on production capacity at the Mizushima Plant, thus avoiding any missed sales opportunities in view of the strong sales of Outlander in Europe and of the Lancer in markets worldwide.

Mitsubishi Motors' European production hub NedCar currently manufactures the Colt compact car, the company's best selling model in Europe. The company plans to produce Outlander at its NedCar plant until the model reaches the end of its life cycle.

bradc
19-09-2007, 12:07 AM
it's coming to NZ! http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.nz/lancer_microsite/

d i c k i e s
27-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Damn... didnt ask the dude. i asked him how much it will be tho. he said around the $50,000 mark.

Well im guessing theyre gonna be here pretty soon since they have a few now up at mitsi-motors next to my work.

They now have 3 of these in 3 different colours.
Black, Silver (grey), and the maroon colour. (the black one was getting groomed)

On the back its got the VR-X badge? Ill take my camera to work, and take a picture if they dont hide them. Usually they hide them inside the building.

Didnt really get to talk to the guy, but i see him pretty much everyday. Hopefully get to chat to him properly about them.

HMG1K
11-12-2007, 03:28 PM
This is the Galant Fortis - or Lancer Sportsback hatch that will launch in the UK in 2009

Forgot to say - when I was at Bridgend Mitsubishi last weekend the salesman showed me official - but as yet unrealeased to the media - photos of the Lancer hatchback... and I can confirm it looks just like the concept photos I posted before... Lovely looking car! The only downside was the colour, a pale sky blue, that it was shown in... Didn't do the car justice....

The Lancer hatchback is being launched around September 2008 in the UK - and is described as larger than a Ford Focus, but smaller than the new Ford Mondeo. I guess this is the current worldwide car (except the US because their galant is huge) to plug the absence of a Galant estate...

As you know the 8th generation Galant grew a bit in size to replace the Sigma when and there was a Galant estate to replace the 6th and 7th generation hatchbacks.

ritch_w
11-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I quite like the new outlander, especially now they have a decent diseasal, but wouldnt bother with a nedcar mitsi having owned a carisma and a spacestar, they are ok and on par with other euro motors, but not built to the same standards as a jap built motor. nedcar mitsi certainly dont offer anything that a ford or similar cant provide - which is a bit of shame.

We have one of the last 2003 CJ colts which is jap built and there is no way the wife will change it for the new shape one - its looks plastic and cheap inside and certainly devoid of style!...

If the new lancer is jap built and of 8g size (-ish), I'd certainly consider a diesel one in a few years time

Kieran
11-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I quite like the new outlander, especially now they have a decent diseasal, but wouldnt bother with a nedcar mitsi having owned a carisma and a spacestar, they are ok and on par with other euro motors, but not built to the same standards as a jap built motor. nedcar mitsi certainly dont offer anything that a ford or similar cant provide - which is a bit of shame.

We have one of the last 2003 CJ colts which is jap built and there is no way the wife will change it for the new shape one - its looks plastic and cheap inside and certainly devoid of style!...

If the new lancer is jap built and of 8g size (-ish), I'd certainly consider a diesel one in a few years time

I completely agree with everything you say Ritch - The Ned-Noddy-Car built mitsubishis are hopeless!

ritch_w
17-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I've bought one of these, 2.0 GS4 diesel saloon, and very nice it is too! a worthy replacement for the 8G IMO.
size is comparable to an 8G, spec on the GS4 is excellent (leather, sat nav, music server, all the electric toys etc). drive is very sporty, handling is superb for a FWD car better than the 8G. Fuel economy is superb at 45 - 48mpg with lots of thrashing! The only downside I can see so far is the quality of door plastics looks quite cheap and plasticy compared to the 8G. I'm looking into whether the door cards and plastics can be retrimmed in faux leather or alacntara or similar to improve the feel and quality.

Ryan
17-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Some pics would be good please mate :)

ritch_w
17-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Some pics would be good please mate :)

just these ones that the prev owner had taken last year
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=388

HMG1K
17-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Looking really good, Ritch!

Is that a standard spoiler on the back, or an option?

Amazing that the car looks so small in the photos, compared to a 8G - but they're comparable on size!

Loved the quick write up you did!

ritch_w
17-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Phil

rear spoiler as is the rest of the car is standard ;)

will get more photos after the next wash ;)

bradc
17-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Just a pity there isn't a wagon or a v6 version

HMG1K
17-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi Phil

rear spoiler as is the rest of the car is standard ;)

will get more photos after the next wash ;)

Looking forward to them!

Your new motor looks really mean and moody that face!

Congratulations - and happy driving! :chugchug:

Ryan
17-07-2009, 12:38 PM
That is a right smart looking car there.

rees
17-07-2009, 03:03 PM
dont get me wrong but ....

my main problem with this car is when folk see it your gonna get the

"look an evo.....oh no its just a lancer ...never mind "

im honestly not tryin to piss on your fire because as cars go i think they look lovely and executive ,
but its just that stigma i cant get over

HMG1K
17-07-2009, 03:08 PM
dont get me wrong but ....

my main problem with this car is when folk see it your gonna get the

"look an evo.....oh no its just a lancer ...never mind "

But that's like saying folk with the later standard 8G Galant models with the VR4 bodykit, that was slapped on the run-out models (me!), have people looking at their car and saying "look a VR4.... oh no it's just a Galant... never mind." /bat

Never had anyone say that to me! :p

ritch_w
17-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Stigma is quite harsh mate?

Certainly been asked at least a dozen times if its an evo to which I have laughed and replied "nah, its just a diesel" hardly a stigma and not something that bothers me, more of a compliment i think.

MarkSanne
17-07-2009, 03:27 PM
If I'm correct there is a Galant Fortis turbocharged version which rivals it's Lancer EVO brother!

HMG1K
17-07-2009, 03:34 PM
If I'm correct there is a Galant Fortis turbocharged version which rivals it's Lancer EVO brother!

In the UK we have the Lancer Ralliart - which is a 'soft' version of the Evo.

Not that 'soft' - and like you say Mark, it's a rival to the actual Evo.

Here's a review of the Ralliart version, one below the Evo in the line-up.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=337

thfelipeth
17-07-2009, 03:48 PM
are you for real that's the new galant??? poooo!!!! lol i thought they would've done something different then an almost identical2009 lancer IMO. if they make a wagon out of that then they may have something...

thfelipeth
17-07-2009, 03:52 PM
I've bought one of these, 2.0 GS4 diesel saloon, and very nice it is too! a worthy replacement for the 8G IMO.
size is comparable to an 8G, spec on the GS4 is excellent (leather, sat nav, music server, all the electric toys etc). drive is very sporty, handling is superb for a FWD car better than the 8G. Fuel economy is superb at 45 - 48mpg with lots of thrashing! The only downside I can see so far is the quality of door plastics looks quite cheap and plasticy compared to the 8G. I'm looking into whether the door cards and plastics can be retrimmed in faux leather or alacntara or similar to improve the feel and quality. yea i know what you mean about the plastics, when i was in aussie a couple of weeks ago i hired one that looked almost the same, and the plastics are crap! nice ride and 6 speed tiptronic too.. but your hands get all sweaty from even the steering wheel, even putting your elbow on the door panels is annoying. anyway that's in IMO! :)

thfelipeth
17-07-2009, 03:53 PM
This is the Galant Fortis - or Lancer Sportsback hatch that will launch in the UK in 2009 what is it with mitsubishi doing the big grill like AUDI???

HMG1K
17-07-2009, 03:55 PM
are you for real that's the new galant??? poooo!!!! lol i thought they would've done something different then an almost identical2009 lancer IMO. if they make a wagon out of that then they may have something...

For some reason it's known as the Galant Fortis in Japan - but Lancer in other territories. The Galant Fortis was known as Lancer in Japan before this.

ritch_w
17-07-2009, 04:01 PM
galant fortis sounds more premium!

must change badges ;)

rees
17-07-2009, 04:08 PM
the names obviously a cop out , itr bears no relation to a galant whatso ever

HMG1K
17-07-2009, 04:15 PM

I doubt very much there'll be an estate / wagon - proof is in the fact there's a hatchback to compliment the saloon.

Back in the late 80s / 90s when in the UK there was a 4th generation Galant / Sigma saloon, there was an estate too - no hatchback.

Once the 6th generation came along with saloon and hatch version, the estate was dropped.

Soon into the Galant hatchback's production run, Mitsubishi stopped producting the Sigma estate as there was a galant hatchback. The Sigma saloon was made in Japan and the estate in Australia, like the 4th generation was, an the estate badged for a time as a Lonsdale Galant / Sigma.

That continued in saloon and hatch versions on the 7G. Then the hatch was dropped in the 8G when the estate was reintroduced.

rees
17-07-2009, 04:15 PM
ritch mate , believe me i like em alot , like i said it looks mature
when you see them on the motorway they look like they belong there , natural cruisers .

but anyway a compliment that its not an evo x? how does tha work then?

rees
17-07-2009, 04:25 PM
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/new-prices/summary.aspx?model=1674
lancer prices

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/new-prices/summary.aspx?model=1778
evo prices

cant help but feel am missing the point here mate

bradc
18-07-2009, 02:06 AM
Phil is right, there has never been a hatch and an estate in one generation of Galant. Also if you look at Lancer wagons over the years, they have always had to serve two generations, ie the EVO 1-3 shape Lancer wagon survived until 2002! The current shape Lancer wagon which is still available here in NZ (not sure about the UK) has been on the market since 2002 and will continue until just before the entirely new generation of Lancer comes out, which I'm guessing will be around 2013.

thfelipeth
18-07-2009, 02:19 AM
I doubt very much there'll be an estate / wagon - proof is in the fact there's a hatchback to compliment the saloon.

Back in the late 80s / 90s when in the UK there was a 4th generation Galant / Sigma saloon, there was an estate too - no hatchback.

Once the 6th generation came along with saloon and hatch version, the estate was dropped.

Soon into the Galant hatchback's production run, Mitsubishi stopped producting the Sigma estate as there was a galant hatchback. The Sigma saloon was made in Japan and the estate in Australia, like the 4th generation was, an the estate badged for a time as a Lonsdale Galant / Sigma.

That continued in saloon and hatch versions on the 7G. Then the hatch was dropped in the 8G when the estate was reintroduced. coool, a bit of a history lesson. good to know cheers.

ritch_w
18-07-2009, 10:15 AM
i'm bored now....

bradc
18-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Of the car?

N9nebar
18-07-2009, 01:13 PM
But that's like saying folk with the later standard 8G Galant models with the VR4 bodykit, that was slapped on the run-out models (me!), have people looking at their car and saying "look a VR4.... oh no it's just a Galant... never mind." /bat

Never had anyone say that to me! :p

Same with my viento looks a bit like a vr4 but says gdi on the back, intelligent people will notice the differences but the scum that stole mine didn't...... it was raced against a skyline and i reckon it stood a chance cause the skyline had no turbo . ignorant scum can't even nick a fast car , idiots.
Anyway nice lookin lancer/galant fortis. in ireland the standard petrol engine is 1.5 !!! has all the bodykit but absolutly no go underneath:thumbsdow

bradc
18-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Mate you hadn't even had yours all that long! What are the replacement plans?

N9nebar
19-07-2009, 09:31 AM
i got a good deal on a 2004 toyota avensis, boring i know but its safe economical and reliable . so now i paying for 2 cars woohoo!