PDA

View Full Version : *** Safeway meet before Japfest ***

Brind
07-05-2003, 09:19 PM
To all those who want to meet before the event and travel in the first UK Galant VR-4 convoy!

We're meeting in a Safeway car park located not to far from Castle Combe race track.

The address is:
CHIPPENHAM
CEPEN PARK NORTH
CHIPPENHAM
WILTSHIRE
SN14 6UZ
01249 656992

Use the AA route planner to find it from you:
http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/planner_main.jsp

Discription from Simon whom lives in the area:

Originally posted by Simon
From the M4 Junction 17 head south on A350 signposted Chippenham and Castle Combe race circuit. Dual carriageway for about 4 miles, through two sets of traffic lights INSERT INTO post VALUES (*****50 mph zone and police are hot here on circuit days!!!!!) at end of dual carriageway theres a roundabout, head right. At next roundabout, On your left is a Safeway super market with large car park!!!!! on the right is a travel lodge, suitable for your members travelling over night. It takes less than 10 minutes to get to the track from Safeways INSERT INTO post VALUES (and thats keeping to the speed limit) Safeway has a petrol station although if you desire super unleaded theres an Esso over the road next to the travel lodge. Hope this helps...if you want a detailed description of route from supermarket car park to the track.....let me know!

If you're not appearing on the ClubVR-4 stand, you are very welcome to join us before the event and convoy in with us!!!!

BraindG
07-05-2003, 10:19 PM
08:30 meeting time yeah?

Brind
07-05-2003, 10:49 PM
:D Forgot that bit.

Yep fine with me.

Spirit
07-05-2003, 10:54 PM
Fine with me - I am staying with a mate in Swindon the night before so will be no problem. Just got to chase the tickets up now !

Pete

jaysback
07-05-2003, 11:03 PM
count me in.
will be there for that time :)

Pescha
08-05-2003, 05:33 AM
:mad2: :cry2: I CAN'T COME :cry2: :mad2:

:Cry1: I WANNA COME! :Cry1:

:bawling: ITS SOOOOOO UNFAIR :bawling:

jaysback
08-05-2003, 08:13 AM
:Ponder: im shure you won't miss anything:Ponder:

NOT:rolleyes:
:D :D

BraindG
08-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Pescha
:mad2: :cry2: I CAN'T COME :cry2: :mad2:

:Cry1: I WANNA COME! :Cry1:

:bawling: ITS SOOOOOO UNFAIR :bawling:

/Hugs

its ok sweety, maybe next time huh? chin up, we'll have plenty photos, so it will feel as if you were right there..

Pescha
08-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Well i cant make it next time either as its in the UK and im in NZ, bloody loooooong way to go..... the petrol bill would be HUGE!!!:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

HEHE
Pescha!

P.S remember those photos ok? ;)

PAUL
08-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Thanks i will come along and meet at safeway about 8:30.

Cheers all the best.

Paul Kang

BraindG
08-05-2003, 03:20 PM
p.s. last one there smells of rotten eggs :arse:

Simon
08-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Just for your reference. INSERT INTO post VALUES (not to leave it to the last minute....) To get to the track from Safeway.... Out of Safeways car park back onto main road. Head left. INSERT INTO post VALUES (New'ish relief road). over 1st roundabout. At next, head right, signposted Bristol A420 and possibley Castle Combe. Stay on this road for a mile and a bit INSERT INTO post VALUES (past a Rover garage) and take next right turning for Castle Combe B4039. Stay on this road past Golf driving range on right and into village of Yatton Keynell INSERT INTO post VALUES (***ive mentioned the police before but they are out in force normally on track meets and this 30mph zone is a hot spot!!!) go through this village and a short distance past the village, "Castle Combe Race Circuit" :hurrah: will be on your left. Theres several entrances along this road but keep going and they normally use one of the last ones...we'll know when we hit the queue!! If we manage to get to Castle Combe Petrol station we've gone too far!

P.S I'll see you @ 8.30 S'ways.:thumb:

chris g
08-05-2003, 10:13 PM
We'll be there 0830ish - as we are stopping close and prob closest to meeting point by we are guaranteed to be last there - isn't that always how it is

And for those of you not attending from distant shores, Pescha et al, there will be photos, but even better, there will be moving pictures at a website near to you of some old duffer trying to keep the beast on track

Stand back! Autographs and hand kissing by appointment only

Now where did I put that Michael Schumacher - champion driver in 3 easy lessons - video?

BraindG
08-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by chris g

Now where did I put that Michael Schumacher - champion driver in 3 easy lessons - video?

Roflmao..

chris g
08-05-2003, 10:20 PM
What the f*** does that mean?

Spirit
08-05-2003, 10:21 PM
LMAO Chris - this is gonna be fun ! Your tickets and track pack will be in the post tomorrow - briefing is 2pm on the day and track time 3.20pm !

Don't forget the spare underpants !!!

Pete

chris g
08-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Look, this old fart has done Oulton Park x1 and CC x2

Not forgetting over 300 laps of the Nurburgring Nordschleife in Germany

There is nobody better qualified to take a VR-4 on track - and make a complet t**t of himself!

Having had a 360 spin at the Ring on my first visit, a trip to a gravel trap on my third visit and a scrape against the armco many visits later, I am well prepared for an embarrassing catastrophe, as well as Jan giving me grief on the way home for being a complete a**e

Spirit
08-05-2003, 10:36 PM
LOL Chris

Your the man for the job ! :bow:

Will be great to have so many VR-4s in one place at one time, and to get some great pics for the website.

Pete

chris g
08-05-2003, 10:52 PM
In the interests of our Posse and the greater good of our website I am sacrificing myself tomorrow to go and practice at a trackday - Jonathan Palmer's Bedford Autodrome?

I get to take the VR-4 around the track for a few hours and then have to slumit by trying out the Evo VIII and the FQ300

I know it's a dirty job but someone has to do it and I am willing to make the ultimate sacrifice - for the greater good as I said

So I should come back highly tuned, focussed, in the groove, in the zone....and knackered/petrified/scared s*****ss and so perfectly prepared to be filmed by Spielberg in front of a cast of thousands and an audience of millions!

I hope it's only a few hundred and most of them are looking at the stalls buying Ralliart oil filler caps/mats/jackets

Pescha
08-05-2003, 10:53 PM
Roflmao = Rolling On Floor Laughing My Ass Off

Cheers,
Pescha:)

Brind
14-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Just a quick question,
Are all the cars on display parked on the grass???
Just wondering incase mother nature turns against us and trys to ruin the shoes. :)

Spirit
14-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Brind

Not sure mate, apparantly some areas are grass and some concrete. Have managed to borrow a small gazebo INSERT INTO post VALUES (but only 5ft square I believe) that we can shelter under. Unfortunately the weather ain't looking too clever either :mad:

Pete

Brind
14-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Oh, if it does r**n INSERT INTO post VALUES (don't say the word) at least we have 4WD to get out if we do get bogged on the grass. :)

chris g
14-05-2003, 09:50 PM
IIRC from prev MR2DC visits, our area is grass

I think, looking at the map that all/most of the shaded areas are hard surface and the white areas are grass

Od course the track is tarmac but white on the map so we will just have to see if my memory is correct

BraindG
14-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by spirit979
Brind

Not sure mate, apparantly some areas are grass and some concrete. Have managed to borrow a small gazebo INSERT INTO post VALUES (but only 5ft square I believe) that we can shelter under. Unfortunately the weather ain't looking too clever either :mad:

Pete

:bow: :bow: please don't

chris g
14-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Of course for my track time I would not mind some precipitation - see how I managed to avoid saying rain in that sentence

Would be fun to see others venturing out in the, well I've said it once I might as well keep saying it, rain apart from thos blody Evo's

Surprisingly, at the Ring the Scooby's, when they are there, tend not to go out in the rain.

You would expect them to love it but no they stay in car park or bugger off somewhere

As far as Evo's go, apart from very fast, there are few at the Ring when I have gone, fewer than Scooby's so I do not remember if they go out in the rain

Now I am going for the record - If it rains at CC then I will go out in the rain but the rain may spoil the grass and our shoes apparently, and the rain may limit the crowd and the rain may spoil the camera shots of my car out in the rain, but then as they say, in the rain, it never rains it pours

Is that a rain joke, or is that a rain saying.

By that I mean is that a sentence with rain in it and referring to rain as the main theme.

So rain is the noun, rain is the verb and as we seem to be saying, rain is the enemy - at least to someones shoes

Brind
14-05-2003, 10:16 PM
He's done it now....:rolleyes:

Wetsuits and diving gear are now on the list of things to bring.

18 times!!!

chris g
14-05-2003, 10:28 PM
So....Brind, how long has rain affecting your shoes been a worry to you?

You can trust me, I'm a Psychiatric Nurse, so, go on, tell me.

I'm used to dealing with rain and shoe issues

Better still, shut up and just bring a big pair of f'in wellington boots!

landy
14-05-2003, 10:33 PM
I have found castle combe on the aa route planner, but where abouts is the safeway car park ?

if i can get up early enough to get there by 8.30 INSERT INTO post VALUES (driving from mid wales) i'd like to meet at the safeway car park aswell :D

it would be great to see all these VR4's in a long convoy :D :D

:devil2:

Spirit
14-05-2003, 10:45 PM
landy - full directions are given in the first post of this thread mate.

Brind - I would suggest going barefoot mate and then no shoes can get damaged....lol !

Rain ? Who cares. I for one intend to have a damn good time no matter what, but I do hope the weather holds out so the crowds turn up - and of course their is the little matter of the FA Cup final ! But so what, it's the first Club VR-4 meet and it's a moment in VR-4 history in the UK, and we are all part of it !

Pete

Brind
14-05-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by landy
I have found castle combe on the aa route planner, but where abouts is the safeway car park ?

if i can get up early enough to get there by 8.30 INSERT INTO post VALUES (driving from mid wales) i'd like to meet at the safeway car park aswell :D

I'm traveling for just over 2 hours myself, and to be somewhere for 8.30 in the morning is a micracle in its self according to my track record.
Just don't bother asking chris g where Safeways is, because although he is a Psychiatric Nurse he likes to take huge doses of Temazepam and bounce off the padded walls which is why he has trouble telling the difference between Tescos and Safeways.:)

BraindG
14-05-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by spirit979
and of course their is the little matter of the FA Cup final ! But so what, it's the first Club VR-4 meet and it's a moment in VR-4 history in the UK, and we are all part of it !

Pete

Remember im bringing the telly, providing Maplin get their asses into gear and send me the invertor..

Spirit
14-05-2003, 10:55 PM
Maplins, OMG you are in trouble ! LOL

chris g
14-05-2003, 10:55 PM
So...Brind is either bringing wellies or coming barefoot

And the competition for the day is....

..... to be first to spot the sad git on site who has brought a small telly to watch the cup final

And of course to spot and count in Brind's luggage the number of pairs of shoes he has brought...just in case it is good weather and he has the opportunity to do the 'shoe catwalk'

Brind
14-05-2003, 10:57 PM
LMAO!

chris g
14-05-2003, 11:05 PM
So... the Posse is quite a crowd...

...we have someone with a rain and shoe problem, someone who cannot tell the difference between Sfeways and Tescos, and a sad git who is bringing a telly to watch the cup final at a car show/track day

Definitely quite a 'special' crowd to be associated with

And by the way Brind, it was ages ago that I visited the area, last Aug at least so I am allowed to forget the name of the Supermarket.....at least that's what my Supermarket Therapist said when I phoned him a few minutes ago

And by the way again Brind, I have never used Temazepam or needed any other meds as the treatment given by my Supermarket Therapist always helps me to relax

I count supermarket trolleys to ease the confusion I have and to get off to sleep

chris g
14-05-2003, 11:09 PM
See... you've got me so upset that I cannot even spell Sfeways now

Next you will have me unable to spell Tescoes

Brind
14-05-2003, 11:11 PM
You started it. :arse:

BraindG
14-05-2003, 11:14 PM
now now chilren :nono:

BraindG
14-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by chris g
and a sad git who is bringing a telly to watch the cup final at a car show/track day

WHAT WHAT? take that back, this is THE arsenal we are talking about.. pffff :) anyways i need the invertor for the bullet cam... and seeing as the match is on.. why not.. diss me again and ill erm.. hmmm.. hit you with a feather duster !

chris g
14-05-2003, 11:24 PM
So on the big day, as our cars are parked by the Club banner created by Spirit and wife - sounds like a rival series to 'Randall and Hopkirk'...

.....we could have... a voice shouting as he sits under the gazebo, 'watch that lead to the car I do not want to miss any goals, another voice shouting as it rains 'move over and let me get under cover so I do not get my shoes wet'...or shouting mover over so I can look thru my case to find the right shoes' whilst I could be in Swindon trying to find the right supermarket, whilst someone else is wandering around the Club Stands shouting 'please let me put this bulletcam/video on your car' to film a lap or two

And I am the ONLY one accused of using meds!?

Spirit
14-05-2003, 11:26 PM
Think we are losing the plot here boys - must be all that male testosterone building up in anticipation of the big climax to weeks of organising !

My Banner therapist just called my Gazebo therapist to say I was a lost cause and they have both struck me off. Can I join the Shoe therapist ?

BraindG
14-05-2003, 11:30 PM
My therapist said Arsenal loosing the League didnt mean i should hide away for the rest of the year..

chris g
14-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Perhaps a final word about the day for any Gooners out there, and they know who they are, I am a Spurs fan so do not come looking foe sympathy when Southampton win

The reason, not because I would not sympathise, but I will still be in Swindon looking for the right supermarket!

Brind
14-05-2003, 11:32 PM
I don't like football, it makes your shoes dirty.. :Cry1:

Brind
15-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Not looking to upset the Psycho Nurse again but..;)

Found an Arial picture of Castle Combe race track.
Looks to me as though we're on concrete?
Shoes are saved!!! :hurrah:

Couldn't give a t*** if it RAINS now.

BraindG
15-05-2003, 10:54 PM
these bloody shoes!.... they better be good ones, or your getting a slagging! :D

Brind
15-05-2003, 10:56 PM
LOL
I simply said about shoes because of the grass and the possibilty of rain.
Couldn't care less about the shoes.. or trainers should I say. :)
Chris g just ran with it.

chris g
15-05-2003, 11:33 PM
Psycho Nurse here

Good picture of CC but I think they have changed the track layout but no idea about parking etc

So... no comment about shoes, other than many a serious word said in jest...eh?

Looking forward to Sat, all our VR-4's together, a bit of track time and for ALL of us... some good weather

See you in Safeways car park

Chris

Brind
15-05-2003, 11:38 PM
Same here mate, should be a good laugh. :)

Just wish I went for a track day now.. those straights look sweet!! :cool:
Looking at the track you should really have no chance of coming off the track.. unless of course, you are driving on the 'off road' circuit top right of map.:)

Spirit
15-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Chris

Did Barry accept your offer or am I in the hot seat ?

Pete

BraindG
15-05-2003, 11:51 PM
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Safeways 08:15 Saturday..

Brind
16-05-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by BraindG
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Safeways 08:15 Saturday..

I'm hopefully going to leave here just before 6am anyway so it should be okay..
We do really want to get in plenty of time before the rest of the public does.

:sleep:

Simon
16-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Not to upset you but that isn't Castle Combe circuit in the photo!:p

Simon
16-05-2003, 12:34 PM
The "Plot" for the VR4 Group is
.................................................. ..GRASS....
................wear proper shoes!:D

Roadrunner
16-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Enjoy the weekend, guys. Hope the weather's good for you. Wish I could be there :cry2: , but I'll be thinking about you anyway :wavey: .

Brian

Spirit
16-05-2003, 04:04 PM
Leaving home at 5.30pm - on way to Swindon tonight - Chinese and a few beers then up early for tomorrow - see you all there guys !

Pete

chris g
16-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Lots going on here now...

I thought that track did not look like the CC I know... and hate its chicanes

noticed tyres are wearing out - think they are ready for replacement - set awaiting fitting next week at 'local' tyre place ready for Euro trackdays from next Thursday

pulled part of front air dam off in car park - trying for temp repair before we set off

Oh and for those of you interested.....its raining here!

Is that an omen for the shoes or the trainers?

Sorry, I promised no more comments, slapped wrist for me!

See you all early tomorrow

Brind
16-05-2003, 07:08 PM
No your right Simon, this is:

The site I was looking at wasn't laid out very well, it tells you about the track and gives you a photo, I just didn't bother reading it properly and stole the picture.:o
I had no idea what the track layout was but the rest seemed to line up very well with the map we received with the tickets.

If it's anything like today, it isn't gonna be very nice tomorrow.
I couldn't care less about the shoes ;) but it is going to be really sh*t parking on boggy mud. :rolleyes:
Bit stupid if they haven't concreted the area with all the shows and events they have throughout the year.

Simon
16-05-2003, 07:20 PM
See you all tomorrow......bring the sun!:thumb:

chris g
16-05-2003, 07:22 PM
IIRC parking areas are like large lawns so ruts and mud may not be a problem

We may all need decent footwear and raincoats if rain persists - so be prepared

I wish I'd been a cub/boy scout then I could have said that all the time

Simon
16-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Expect minor possible delay on dual carriageway from M4 up to Safeway roundabout...they've decided to close lanes to put up a central reservation...good idea as its easy to achieve 130mph on the straight...or so im told.:nono:

Brind
16-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys.

And see ya'll tomorrow.

I'll be the one sleeping.