PDA

View Full Version : riosingh

riosingh
17-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi just joined the club just now.
I bought a 98 v6 24 about two weeks ago.
don't have enough no claims to insure a v4.
but plans are to next crimbo.

was gona put a evo type bonet onit. but after reading the thread about getting water in your electrics, I think i'll give it a miss.

I have ordered some 4cm lowering springsINSERT INTO post VALUES (cobra) from streetracers.

I stick picys and mods on as I do them.

BraindG
17-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi there! glad you could join us :wavey:

Nick VR4
17-12-2003, 04:17 PM
:welcome: :wavey: to the club :D

Nick Mann
17-12-2003, 08:12 PM
I sold a 98 V6-24 about two months ago. I thoroughly enjoyed owning it!

Welcome again!

KiwiTT
17-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Welcome. Take care with lowering tho. Zedy1 says there are alot of sleeping :lolice: in England.

Spirit
17-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the Club mate - post some pics if you can

Pete

zedy1
17-12-2003, 10:31 PM
welcome to the club m8

Kieran
17-12-2003, 11:55 PM
Welcome. :D I look forward to reading your tales of adding bits to your V6-24 and seeing some piccies. I'll be especially interested to hear your views on how lowering springs affect ride quality... I'm thinking about something similar for the GLS...

Big Ian
18-12-2003, 01:41 AM
kieran ive got eibach progressive spring'sINSERT INTO post VALUES (130.00 a set) they work very well when i fitted them i put on new standard gas shock's ,dropped my car 35-40mm only thing i put my standard 14" alloy's on for the winter and my mate's thought it just made the suspension look tired ? so the 17z are back on.
still a smooth ride and handels alot better.
INSERT INTO post VALUES (no i'm not talking about the wife..)

colVR4
18-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Welcome to a fellow V6-24 owner. I have similar plans to lower and adapt. I looked into the bonnet vents and came across a couple of sites that gave kits that didn't let water into the engine vitals. I will try and dig out the URL's for you.

Haven't got the disposable income at the moment, but there is definately a desire to modify in my heart INSERT INTO post VALUES (just got to persuade the missus that it is more important than buying a house and getting married :) )

riosingh
18-12-2003, 10:19 AM
What is most unbelieveable is thje amount of stuff you get for your money. I paid 3 grand, and I got a 98 fully loaded machine. Thats the same money as a ten year old non turbo skyline gtsINSERT INTO post VALUES (without leathers, severce history or any thing). I nearly went down the buy a skyline and pu gtr badges route. but fortunaly I couldn't get insurance for less than 7grand.

Kieran
18-12-2003, 10:19 AM
...Haven't got the disposable income at the moment, but there is definately a desire to modify in my heart INSERT INTO post VALUES (just got to persuade the missus that it is more important than buying a house and getting married :) )

Ahem! That's a carbon copy of my situation, Col! Glad I'm not alone!!

Eibach springs, eh? Hmmm. When you say standard gas shocks, I presume you mean standard Mitsubishi Items? Are these OK with shortened springs?

Big Ian
18-12-2003, 11:50 AM
yes they are fine as they are progressive springs they are losely coiled at one end and tightly coiled at the other end when you drive about town they fell like standard but once your out of town on twisty roads the get firmmer .no problem with standard shock's BUT any lower and you would need lower travel shock's i got my new shock's from a local motor factor "£160.00 for 4 boge gas sport shock's".and what an easy job to fit. can anyone tell me if we can get adjustable coil overs for our car?also has anyone ever heated front springs to lower them i'd like the front a bit lower to be closer to the arch.ive heard of this but never asked any questions.

colVR4
18-12-2003, 12:06 PM
On the subject of bonnet vents/air scoops I had a look around and saw that there were basically two types. There are those that ram air into the bonnet area, and those that work on the 'longer path explanation' or benoulli theory. The ram air is simple to explain as it simply 'scoops' cold, external air into the engine bay. This however causes problems as it also brings in contaminants from outside such as rain, road spray, etc.

The other method used the theory that faster flowing air has a lower pressure and so the hot air within the engine bay is 'sucked out' creating a lower air pressure within the engine bay which brings in cooler air from outside INSERT INTO post VALUES (see diagram). This has the benefit that WHILE THE CAR IS MOVING that outside contaminants are not drawn into the engine bay as much as the scoop method. However, the problem comes when the car is stationary as many of these vents sit on top of the bonnet facing upwards so water can pool in them.

One solution is to put benoulli vents on the side of the car with suitable vents into the engine bay. This way very little water can get into the engine bay but you would still have the benefits if they are placed correctly.

I am no expert on the subject INSERT INTO post VALUES (no **** I hear you all scream) but this is what I have found out looking around various sites and it seems to make sense to me.

Going to get my coat now... :drunk:

ritch_w
18-12-2003, 12:07 PM
good to see another V6 on the site - update us on the cobra springs - i was looking at them also - although xmas has bolloxed the finances!

scottish ian - have you posted pics of your car yet?

I would imaging boge gas dampers are better quality than the oem mitsu ones

i changed to boge on a BMW and they were 10 times better than the bmw ones
;)

riosingh
18-12-2003, 01:49 PM
Another thing is runin costs.
My old car was a golfand would cost me about 30 quid a week.
last week end I did 20 just driving around reading.
monday I filled up with optimaxINSERT INTO post VALUES (40 smakers) and yet again this morning I the yellow light was on.
Maybe I'll have to start drivin slower.

Big Ian
18-12-2003, 02:05 PM
hi rich
weve had a bit of bother with crashed hard drive but hopfully get the pic's on this week end also a bit pi$£'d off today the life long LEDs in one of my angel eyes has died so ive also got that to sort
9 fu$£in hours they took to fit looks like ill be drunk this weekend...........INSERT INTO post VALUES (again!!!!!!!! my wife reply's)

Nick Mann
18-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Maybe I'll have to start drivin slower.

Doesn't make much difference!

If you think the V6-24 is bad, you need to try a VR4!! :scared1:

KiwiTT
18-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Fuel use ... Doesn't make much difference!

Agree. Don't worry about this cost. Put your foot down and let it fly. It feels light on its feet at 5,000 rpm, and sounds sweet.