PDA

View Full Version : (New style) Turbosmart boost tee

AderC
12-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Out of curiosity, I've temporarily installed the manual boost controller I ordered when I thought the PIT BCU+ unit wasn't working properly (see thread PIT BCU+ (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23623)), to compare with the now-working BCU+.

The MBC I bought was the new-design Turbosmart Boost Tee (http://www.turbosmart.com.au/index.php?id=43) supplied by AET Turbos (http://www.aetturbosonline.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/204). I've just installed it in place of the EBC solenoid and turned the boost control function of the BCU+ off for the LO boost setting, turning it into a boost gauge. Must say I'm impressed with the boost tee, no real noticeable spiking accelerating in-gear, and this morning I was holding a steady 14-14.5 psi at WOT in 5th, and max spiking during gear changes was only 16.1. I'm going to back off to ~13psi on the way home though as that's the boost I want to run day-to-day.

Kieran - note the steady 1 bar boost I'm getting with standard exhaust/cat and air filter, when you thought I'd struggle to get 0.9bar!

aDe

MPBVr4
12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Interesting:inquisiti

Just read the spec might give this a try myself just need to find a half decent
boost gauge. Any recommendations?

AderC
16-06-2007, 10:48 AM
For anyone who gets one of these boost tees, here's the boost levels I got at WOT in 5th on my otherwise standard pre-facelift auto. Also shows the peak boosts recorded when flooring it through the gears. Use at your own risk of course!

Stock boost (tee closed) - 6.0 psi
1 full turn clockwise (11 clicks) - 9psi (max spike 12.2psi)
2 full turns (22 clicks) - 10psi (max spike 14psi)
2 turns + 5 (27 clicks) - 11.8-12.0psi (max spike 16.1)
2 turns + 8 (30 clicks) - 14-14.5psi but started to get fuel cut on gear-change

Overall, about 2-and-a-half turns is just about max before fuel cut starts to come into play.

aDe

Wodjno
16-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Is this just a basic Bleed Valve :thinking:

AderC
16-06-2007, 11:35 AM
It's a gated boost controller with the option of removing the gate system. PDF installation/user guide here (http://www.turbosmart.com.au/index.php?s=file_download&id=113)

aDe

Wodjno
16-06-2007, 12:33 PM
It's a gated boost controller with the option of removing the gate system. PDF installation/user guide here (http://www.turbosmart.com.au/index.php?s=file_download&id=113)

aDe

Sorry.. Can't open PDF for some reason !

What is the explanation of "Gated"

I thought it was either a Ball or spring type bleed valve or an orrifice with a small needle type valave that is adjusted manually to increase or decrease the flow of pressure to the wastegates..

AderC
16-06-2007, 01:14 PM
The "gate" system's just a ball and spring. Removing the ball and spring apparently give a less agressive boost curve, but I've not tried this. Will be reverting to the BCU+ anyway - was just playing with the boost tee out of curiosity.

uploaded/1988/1181995872.jpg

aDe

Wodjno
16-06-2007, 04:00 PM
The "gate" system's just a ball and spring. Removing the ball and spring apparently give a less agressive boost curve, but I've not tried this. Will be reverting to the BCU+ anyway - was just playing with the boost tee out of curiosity.

uploaded/1988/1181995872.jpg

aDe

Yes.. As i thought, it's a Basic Bleed Valve..

Every Boost controller (Electronic or Manual) is a "Bleed Valve" that limits the amount of boost pressure seen by the wastegate..

I had a Turbo XS Manual boost controller running on the VR for a couple of years before fitting the Greddy Profec E-01.. I also had the Turbo XS fitted to my 620ti for 2 years prior to the VR.. It has also been fitted to Andy's(The Vee) VR2, who was mightily impressed with it, until his recent upgrade to a Greddy Profec E-01 :D
I was impressed with the Turbo XS and theres really nothing that can go wrong with a straight forward bleed valve, but with a ball and spring there is more chance for the spring to start to weaken or a mix of dirt and oil to cause the spring or ball to start sticking..

What the Manual Boost controller can't do though, that a EBC can ! IS !
Maintain Boost solidly and smootly throughout the rev range, no matter what engine set up you have :pimp2:

If money is an issue when coming to upgrades on your car.. Then the Manual Boost controller is an excellent piece of kit /yes

AderC
16-06-2007, 07:42 PM
The only real difference I notice when driving is that there isn't quite the same "kick in the back" feeling with the boost tee cos the wastegate's starting to open earlier than it does with the EBC. Still a great and cheap first mod though - wish I'd got one 2 years ago!

aDe

Wodjno
16-06-2007, 11:55 PM
The only real difference I notice when driving is that there isn't quite the same "kick in the back" feeling with the boost tee cos the wastegate's starting to open earlier than it does with the EBC. Still a great and cheap first mod though - wish I'd got one 2 years ago!

aDe

This shows theres quite a bit of difference between individual Manaual Boost Controllers :inquisiti

And Individual Electronic Boost Controllers :thinking:

Reason being is that theT:thinking:urbo XS boost controller had a "KICK IN THE BACK" that you wouldn't believe /yes A kick that from a standing start i have yet to replicate with the E-01 ? Not saying that the E-01 can't replicate it ! But i haven't tuned the E-01 for off the mark power.. I have had my fun and games with 0-60-0's :D I now enjoy the mid and high end tuning of the EBC to keep a nice smooth high power boost curve to the redline :)
But the E-01 can give all manor of boost curves.. From a very mild smooth boost curve to boost that can build from 0 to 1.2 bar in 1.2 secs with no spiking or fuel cut.. :scholar:

Both Manual and Electronic Boost Controllers have the rightful place in the world of car tuning /yes
Whether you want plenty of power for very little money or you want a controller that will give you whatever you ask of it :speechles Theres something out there for "YOU" :D