PDA

View Full Version : Diayama Coilovers - review

Nutter_John
12-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Ok it has taken some time but I finally had 30 mins spare to write a review of the Diayama Coilover that I have fitted the VR4 . Pic's will follow when I get home tonight

Quality
.The look and feel of the coilovers is very professional , they come with a black springs and a gold annodised coating on the other metal bits . If you put these up against other coilover kits I think that they would stand up very well in the looks department and also in the performance as well .
Now the ones I got did not have any fitting instructions but it's quite easy to do and I have requested full instructions if we order more of them .

Fitting
Well the fitting is just the same as any other product like this , just a case of undo some bolts , remove old suspension and replace with the new ones . Before fitting it is best to set the ride height you want as once they are on the car you need to drop the bottom assembly to adjust the height . The amount you can drop the car by is quite a lot but after consideration I drop mine by about 70 mm , this may seem alot but it gives around 1" clearance between the arches and the tyres . These coilover have to collars that allow you to set the pre-load on the springs which can be done without having to drop the bottom arm , so once you have it installed you can change the pre-load with in a few mins using the C spanners provided . On top of the shock is a 28 way adjustable dial which allows you to fine tune the rebound etc , this works quite well .

Now the kit I got had a electronic adjustment controller which works in the same way as the Tein stuff , but it is a little better as you do not need to run wire into the cabin as it uses a remote control rather than hard wires . All you need to do is provide power to the front and rear control unit and away you go . Fitting the actual top mounts was a pain in the butt as the nut on the shock is too long to allow full installation , but once this has been cut down or replace then there is no problem . There seesm to be a few mm of clearance at the front between the top of the stepper motor and the bonnet so no real issues . The rear is fine on the Saloon , but have not tried this in a Leggy

Ride

Well at first I did think that the rating I chose maybe a little harsh ( 14lb front / 10lb rear ) but once out on the road I soon got used to the ride and it turned out not to be as hard as I thought . When pushing the car it does feel a lot more stable and it gives as lot more confidence when pushing hard around corners . I have driven over 6000 miles since they were fitted and must say they have preformed very well and would not like to go back to stock again .
One thing I would have like to do is give them a real good test on the track but due to some noise issue I am banned from all UK tracks bar Santa Pod ;)
For the average daily driver I would suggest that a lower spring rate maybe a little better ( something like a 10lb front / 6lb rear ) but for any track users then the ones I have would be perfect .

final thoughts

Price ,well to be honest you can't complain as the price is very good and the quality is far greater than the price should allow , but that being said Diayama are a newish brand and are trying to get into the market in a big way . Now some may know that I hit an issue with my set just before Japfest which when reported to the dealer was taken straight up with there HQ in Tiawan and they shipped me a new shock within 48hrs so I have nothing but priase for that aspect .

Group Buy Offer is on the way , just working out the final pricing etc .

Comments or questions welcome

White Lightning
12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Good write up John ... thanks for that :thumbsup:

Interesting reading what you said about spring rates as I must admit my biggest concern is making the ride too hard for daily driving. What's it like on motorway runs? One thing I was amazed by during our recent Ring trip is how good the standard VR-4 setup is all round. Excellent handling on the track and yet very comfortable when cruising at speed on the motorways across Europe. I know you do a lot of motorway miles. Have you noticed the difference?

Is the in car controller really worth the extra money? What can you adjust?

Nutter_John
12-06-2007, 09:52 PM
The ride on the motorway ain't too bad , a few times when going thru some real bumpy parts you think that the car will bottom out but it never has . 80% of the driving I do is on the motorways and I have covered around 6000 miles since I fitted them .

The eltro gadget allows you to alter the rebound , so for instance for normal driving you have it set to be quite mild but some saxo boy try's his luck thru some bends , a quick press of the button allows you to firm the ride up and sling it into the corners nice and hard .

I have uploaded a few piccies as the ones of them fitted are on the camera at Richy's

Nutter_John
12-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Link to group buy offer http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=256728#post256728

MarkSanne
15-06-2007, 09:58 PM
thanks for the review. Definatly interested! I also wonder if this set would fit my old 1992 6G Galant as well! Would anyone know this? My current shocks (on the VR2) are AST's which are all manually adjustable, but they are so damn low (on the maximum HIGH level). I'd love one (or two if they could fit on the 6G!) of these sets.

Nutter_John
15-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Will find out if they do them for the 6g Mark

djb160
23-06-2007, 10:55 AM
does the controller have preset capability?

gary_yuen42
23-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Do you mean the spring preload?

djb160
23-06-2007, 11:44 PM
nah the dampers settings. Can you have presets or do you just have to change it manually with the controller each time.

Nutter_John
24-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Yep you have presets , if I remember correctly there are 8 presets

pimp
24-06-2007, 10:50 PM
The ride on the motorway ain't too bad , a few times when going thru some real bumpy parts you think that the car will bottom out but it never has . 80% of the driving I do is on the motorways and I have covered around 6000 miles since I fitted them .

The eltro gadget allows you to alter the rebound , so for instance for normal driving you have it set to be quite mild but some saxo boy try's his luck thru some bends , a quick press of the button allows you to firm the ride up and sling it into the corners nice and hard .

I have uploaded a few piccies as the ones of them fitted are on the camera at Richy's

CAN THIS FIT ON MY 92' GALANT VR4 TWIN TURBO AWS/4WD

pimp
25-06-2007, 08:44 AM
CAN THIS FIT ON MY 92' GALANT VR4 TWIN TURBO AWS/4WD ACTUALLY IT'S E84A 7G TWIN TURBO GALANT

djb160
26-06-2007, 02:12 AM
8! Hell, I would've thought 3 would be enough

rees
11-01-2008, 01:36 PM
im up for it dude when is this group buy occuring - id want the electric controlled oned as i was gonna get the tein stuff - what about that issue with tein rear dampers ; you couldnt get to the back dampers to put thedfc on - will we have the same problem with tthis kit ?

peter thomson
11-01-2008, 03:04 PM
The group buy was cancelled I think but you can still get the set for £450 + the DPX for £150. Not quite as good a deal as before but not at all bad. My set is being delivered next week

Nutter_John
11-01-2008, 03:07 PM
As Peter has said the group buy got cancelled as no one wanted them in the end , but if you have a look on ebay Gary is selling some at the minute

And do the rear elecy things fit , I don't know as i have a saloon

Nick Mann
11-01-2008, 04:19 PM
And do the rear elecy things fit , I don't know as i have a saloon

So does Rees?! :P

peter thomson
11-01-2008, 04:25 PM
im up for it dude when is this group buy occuring - id want the electric controlled oned as i was gonna get the tein stuff - what about that issue with tein rear dampers ; you couldnt get to the back dampers to put thedfc on - will we have the same problem with tthis kit ?

I have Gary's email address if you need it but he is working strange ours at the mo and usually replies in the middle of the night. Mention the club to get the better price than the one on ebay.