PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint?

Venatus
14-06-2007, 10:12 AM
my car has been making scraping/grinding/squealing/hissing noises for the last few days, and i took it to the newmarket dealership (NZ) and the guy reckons its one of the ball joints, although he doesnt know which side for sure OR which balljoint.

He said that its probably the straight one, so i should get that replaced first, at 240$NZ for the part and 60$NZ for the labour.

but that means if its not that one, id have to spend another 300 or so, and possibly have to replace all four before it fixed it????

Is there anyway to find out which one it is for sure? or am i screwed? and is there any way to get the part cheaper other than going second hand???

Thanks

mpau009
14-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Is there anyway to find out which one it is for sure? or am i screwed? and is there any way to get the part cheaper other than going second hand???

Thanks

ShowVR is buying the gearbox out of a 1998 wreck, which i know has the lower balljoint arms, which look undamaged, or at least not leaking. Im sure it would be a damm sight cheaper given the prices hes been selling other bits for. You could probably get the whole lot for less.

Also, theres a guide in the members section on changing the lower (and i think upper:thinking:) balljoints, so you could save yourself on the labour..

mpau009
14-06-2007, 10:22 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18873

Gly
14-06-2007, 10:30 AM
did this noise happen to happen after going over a heavy bump?
where the car may have scraped? and bent something?

Subaru ETA
14-06-2007, 11:36 AM
go to bnt you cant get them for just over $100

Venatus
14-06-2007, 11:45 AM
oh ok, thanks for that, i might have a look into the second hand ones, are they on trademe?

what and where is bnt? (im a bit of a noob, i know) *ah i googled it and found it*

and it started a while back dont think it was a bump, but it was majorly worse after i took it on drive to bethells beach :thinking:

that may have ****** it?

mpau009
14-06-2007, 07:56 PM
oh ok, thanks for that, i might have a look into the second hand ones, are they on trademe?

Heres the car, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Engines-drive-trains/auction-103735770.htm?p=1

Not much left now though other than the engine which is sold, and the front hub carriers. Im sure you could get them cheap so he can move the shell on.

I'll PM you his cell, but there may be no reply, since it was missing last weekend. If you can you should pop round on saturday while theyre getting the gearbox out and have a look.

But yeah if BNT can do them for a good price it may be a better option for piece of mind.

Venatus
15-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Hmmm i just called mitsubishi as i have found out there was a recall on my one in japan for the lower ball joint arms that wasnt done, and the guy said that if its a recall they will honour it, even if it was on an import.

So i have to call them on monday because only the service manager is allowed to check if the car is on the recall list, and hes got to check the "official" recall list. Hopefully my ones on that official recall list lol

Or else yeah its BNT, i read about someone using second hand ones and they gave way and had an accident, so im paranoid now

thanks for the help

william
15-06-2007, 01:10 AM
There is a BNT branch down in Stock Street, New Lynn