PDA

View Full Version : 2500 - 4000 RPM rattle?? DAMN!!

leg less
15-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey all. Great site to start with, problem with my ride tho. I have the noisy lifter problem, but there is now something more sinister happening inside the eng bay on my VR-4 leggy. When the eng is accelerated moderately, around 2500 - 3000 rpm there is a real nasty rattle. It goes away around the 4-4500 rpm mark. This is only really happening in 3, 4, and 5th gears. I am starting to think it must be a harmonic sort of thing only happening at the rev range causing something to rattle. I have had a good look and tweak under the bonnet, but to no avail. Have any of you heard of this, please??? Really hope it isn't the same as my last VR-4's rattle which was a big end bearing. Look fwd to the discussion. Cheers, Dan

Paul Beazer
15-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey all. Great site to start with, problem with my ride tho. I have the noisy lifter problem, but there is now something more sinister happening inside the eng bay on my VR-4 leggy. When the eng is accelerated moderately, around 2500 - 3000 rpm there is a real nasty rattle. It goes away around the 4-4500 rpm mark. This is only really happening in 3, 4, and 5th gears. I am starting to think it must be a harmonic sort of thing only happening at the rev range causing something to rattle. I have had a good look and tweak under the bonnet, but to no avail. Have any of you heard of this, please??? Really hope it isn't the same as my last VR-4's rattle which was a big end bearing. Look fwd to the discussion. Cheers, Dan

Hopefully it isnt too serious. I had a similar problem which turned out to be a loose O2 sensor in the exhaust. You might also want to check the exhaust heat shields and also see if the exhaust is contacting anything on the bodywork etc.

glover
15-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Had the same thing a couple of days ago, turned out the exhaust heat shield had worked loose. tightened up and sorted.

leg less
16-06-2007, 02:16 AM
I had a loose heat sheild so it got removed. It is touching the sway bar, so it got packed out with some high temp fibre cloth, took it for a drive and it is still there. Do ya reckon it may have some thing to do with the gear seeing as it don't happen in 1st or 2nd?? It sounds like a lash adjuster is getting smashed by a midget with a small hammer. Starting to get confused now?? Cheers, Dan

Nick Mann
16-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Universal joint on a drive shaft?