PDA

View Full Version : 19" Problem...

Goku
18-06-2007, 04:35 AM
My brother has a 97 Legnum VR-4 with 19"s on it.
Now he's just had a problem occur, the wheels have started to crack on the inside. Just hairline cracks, but enough to cause the tires to deflate.
One has been repaired, but they only just discovered that the others have started to crack. It was suggested that the camber was too negative and that he should get a camber kit to fix it.

What do you guys think ?
Has anyone had the same experience ?

Kenneth
18-06-2007, 04:48 AM
haha, don't we all wish we had a 19" problem!

Now that the rude joke is out the way...

I have never heard of this happening before, so this is my thoughts (of course this doesn't mean it doesn't happen regularly)

1) The rims are too soft. The legnum is a heavy car, so perhaps he needs better wheels

2) 19" rims don't leave a lot of room for sidewall. This is going to put lots of stress on the rims. could be a contributing factor, especially if the force is going directly to the back of the rim due to negative camber

3) tyre pressures incorrect causing the rim to take knocks from the ground.

My advice would be to get new rims. I wouldn't go above 18" personally, but hey.

/edit: to clarify I would personally get new rims because it looks like those ones are FUBAR. You wouldn't want a rim breaking at high speed. (or any speed for that matter)

bradc
18-06-2007, 04:56 AM
number 2 is most likely the cause imho. What brand are the wheels? Do you have any pics?

Goku
18-06-2007, 06:22 AM
I think they are advanti's

Pic here

http://gallery.projectd.co.nz/photoalbum/d/380-2/Legnum1.jpeg

I told him when he got the car to go smaller with the mags, but they were on the car when he bought it. 45k's on the clock too ;)

Gly
18-06-2007, 08:00 AM
bigger wheels are more prone to cracking...
espcially with only a rubber band on them!

ditch them... you cant fix them once its started,
the metals been over stressed. theres no fixing that properly.

bradc
18-06-2007, 08:14 AM
That car was on trademe a while ago, I really liked the look of those mags, pity they've cracked

pezza
18-06-2007, 08:48 AM
I had very same issue with 19s on my v6-24 (that came with the car) and like Gly says..once they start cracking thats it. I did try fixing but was only temporary....

I had problems on front two wheels mainly but the wheels manufacturer was well known to make *soft* rims. tyre pressure is critical and should have been checked regularly...but I did not do this..

Goku
18-06-2007, 10:42 AM
That car was on trademe a while ago, I really liked the look of those mags, pity they've cracked

Indeed it was, thats where we got it from.... damn nice, completely stock bar the rims and springs.

My bro isn't the most car savvy guy in the world. Infact, he never showed much interest in cars till he got the Legnum last year, but with both me and my father working for mitsy and then me still staying in the auto industry he's been well covered for making sure his car is working properly.

*sigh* As much as it's going to suck to see it rolling on different wheels ( come on it's sexy on the 19's ) I think he's going to have to bite the bullet and "downgrade" to at least 18's. Maybe some stronger wheels, as even 18's will do this if they are weak..