PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Oil?

Venatus
18-06-2007, 05:03 AM
i did an oil change yesterday, and i used castrol 5w-30.

Is this the wrong oil for the car? because now it vibrates a lot more, i think its coming from the engine because i can feel it everywhere now or is it due to something else? the beam underneath the car that i used as a jackpoint slightly bent i think, could that be the problem?

bradc
18-06-2007, 05:08 AM
5w30 is fine, lots of us use that. There may be something else wrong with it, I doubt the beam that goes underneath the engine could be affected by something like that, it is damned beefy

mpau009
18-06-2007, 05:20 AM
I doubt it would be the oil. I changed my oil a week ago, to Castrol EDGE, 5W-30. I'm not having any problems, other than the usual smoke if i boost while cold/pan.

And my jack points are bent up as well, wont make any difference, and the crossmember wont bend under the jack (as far as i know).

The things i would be inclined to check would be the engine oil level, too much or too little (I know that when i let my car off the stands, the oil level on the dipstick changes about 5mm). After that, just go over the list of things you might have bumped when doing the change. Maybe a plug lead or something? Or some sensor since there seem to be so many on these cars.

If that fails, id have a search for the DIY diagnostic test, and see if you have any fault codes. That might shed some more light.

Gly
18-06-2007, 07:37 AM
the castrol edge is poo!

i use the 5/30 atm, the engines alot more audible now...

ill be going back to magnatec at next service.

mpau009
18-06-2007, 07:47 AM
the castrol edge is poo!

i use the 5/30 atm, the engines alot more audible now...

ill be going back to magnatec at next service.

Yeah, i wanted Penzoil Platinum 5W-40, which is what i had before and was good, but they didnt have that, and i couldnt be assed coming back, or using repco brand oil...

Ah well, at least i'll have an incentive to change it earlier.

Subaru ETA
18-06-2007, 08:30 AM
engine mount maybe?

ive used 5w30 and it was tappy and **** s gone back to m-tec

Venatus
18-06-2007, 08:36 AM
yeah i might just have to wait till next service and use a different (better) oil and see if it fixes it, otherwise ill have to look elsewhere

chch thomo
18-06-2007, 08:42 AM
over the past month i have replaced both engine and auto with amsoil. results have been pleasing, overhead engine noise on startup cured, followed keirans artical to flush and change auto operating much smoother now with amsoil ,overall costs were much higher but results more than offset this

Physician
18-06-2007, 09:07 AM
My best guess would be that jacking the car up has 'upset' some part of the suspension system. Either a part that was ready to go soon or simply some part that hasn't settled back in the same position after jacking.

Try jacking it up again a few times to see if it settles.

(Highly unlikely to be the oil - in fact, almost impossible.)

Venatus
18-06-2007, 09:30 AM
even just at idle? i can only really feel it at idle but i sometimes think i can feel it when moving (not 100% sure), but it feels like the engine vibrating, sort of like lumpy idling

Subaru ETA
18-06-2007, 09:44 AM
engine mount.....

White Lightning
18-06-2007, 04:08 PM
The black beam you are referring to is called the front suspension centremember and this is my speciality subject ... /yes

Where exactly did you jack the car? At the front, on the towing eyelet? Or further back? If you jacked it on the towing eyelet you will be OK but if you jacked it further back you may have bent the centremember.

The centremember on my car is quite badly bent as the previous owner had jacked the car at this point. I have had to "adjust" mine with a hammer and put some padding in to stop it knocking against part of the flywheel casing.

That said, the front and rear roll stoppers were quite worn on mine. Some people call these lower engine mounts but they are not actually load bearing but vibration can be reduced if these are replaced as when they wear out the engine rolls more under acceleration and going over bumps etc.

Hope that helps ... :scholar:

amsoil
18-06-2007, 10:44 PM
I can't see it being the Oil; I rate Castrols Edge as very good but behind Amsoil and Motul .Penzoil Platinum is also good but not to be confused with normal Penzoil or Havoline which can give you 3 or 4 times the wear!!!! It doesn't have very good TBN so won't last as long as some oils. Good if you change it regularly.

Venatus
19-06-2007, 12:17 AM
oh bugger, it wasnt me that jacked it, it was a friends father, and yeah it got jacked further back :(

so how do you "adjust" it with a hammer? do you have to take the engine out and hammer it flat a bit?

White Lightning
19-06-2007, 11:29 AM
so how do you "adjust" it with a hammer? do you have to take the engine out and hammer it flat a bit?

I would recommend making sure this is the problem before you get too carried away ... /yes

It took me quite a bit of time to track down this knocking on my car. You can remove the centermember from underneath the car (no need to take the engine out!). Firstly you need to remove the bolt through the centre of the front roll stopper and then you have to remove two large bolts at the front of the centremember and two smaller ones at the back. The whole thing then drops down ... careful because it's quite heavy!

On mine you could actually see the marks where the flywheel casing had been knocking against the centremember. I just flattened this part of the centremember a few mm with a hammer and then put some padding in. Has cured the knocking 99% on mine. The long term fix will be to replace the thing ...

There are some pictures in the members area ... I will see if I can find a link.

White Lightning
19-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Have a look here at section 32-6 ...

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/Mitsubishi_Manuals/32_Power_Plant_Mount.pdf