PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Fob range?

I-S
19-06-2007, 12:03 AM
The alarm fob on my GDI doesn't work from more than about 3ft away from the car. The GLS worked up to about 30ft. I thought it might be a duff battery, but I've just changed the battery and the problem persists. Any clues?

Kenneth
19-06-2007, 12:09 AM
The alarm fob on my GDI doesn't work from more than about 3ft away from the car. The GLS worked up to about 30ft. I thought it might be a duff battery, but I've just changed the battery and the problem persists. Any clues?

you could take a look at the alarm unit and see if the aerial is ok.

g6acb
19-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Same here going from my GLS to 2002 Classic

Nick VR4
19-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Newer one are set up like this to stop thiefs picking up the code

I-S
19-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Kind of makes it pointless... From the range mine works you could lean over and use the key. It doesn't even work from the tailgate!

BraindG
19-06-2007, 09:47 AM
use your mobile :D

Nick Mann
19-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I thought it was a difference between cat 1 and cat 2. But defo for the reason that Nick posted above.

Mine have worked from the tailgate, but not when in my pocket!

glover
19-06-2007, 04:35 PM
mines the same, but if i hold it to my head and push the button it works from around twenty feet away, (try it i promise it works)

MikeKey
19-06-2007, 04:57 PM
if i hold it to my head and push the button it works from around twenty feet away
I'll second that! It works like a charm! Something about your skull amplifying the signal I think?

My alarm fob has been getting really unreliable the last few months. I suspected the battery too but, when I look at it, sometimes the little red light isn't flashing when I hold the button down, or sometimes dimly or intermittently.

I took the whole thing apart then rebuilt it which helped for a little while, but now it's back to being unreliable again :inquisiti I had a Renault one once where the solder contacts on the key fob microswitch went bad and produced very similar problems. Had to replace it in the end :(

Anyway, the fob definitely has the range to work from the tailgate, so you might want to keep an eye on the light and see if it's actually working properly...

SGHOM
19-06-2007, 05:29 PM
My fob works from over 1/2 mile away. :afro: :scholar: :scholar:

The number of times I've got to the Abbey car park to find my car open !! :thinking: :thinking: :speechles