PDA

View Full Version : turbo timers

pungatree1
20-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Hi all,

Thanks again for being so quick to reply previously about the hks filters! I am wondering whether it is worth buying a turbo timer (s) for the vr4. Its just running the normal turbos and all seems well at the moment. Its an auto and I was wondering whether it was worth fitting a turbo timer to it to increase the life of them. Can you just use the one timer or would you need two? Also are some better than others? I normally take it easy when getting closer to home anyway to give them time to wind down but I just want to look after the motor!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - cheers

bradc
20-06-2007, 07:18 AM
As long as you drive sensibly and have enough intelligence to let the car idle for a bit before you turn the car off there is no need for one, especially considering how good modern synthetic oils are and that our turbos are watercooled.

rayray24
20-06-2007, 07:47 AM
As long as you drive sensibly and have enough intelligence to let the car idle for a bit before you turn the car off there is no need for one, especially considering how good modern synthetic oils are and that our turbos are watercooled.

Agreed. I don't have one i just sit in the car for a minute or so and get my things packed away (headunit, wallet etc...)

Plus it's one less thing for a thief to see and think they can take/Grrr

djb160
20-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I liked having a timer but that's just me. It didn't cost that much and loved being able to just get out after a turbojam workout, press the alarm trigger and walk off. Having said this there are a couple of oddities you should be aware of.

1. some come with auto modes that are quite likey overkill, I once had mine up to 9minutes. Course I didn't care, it's not that much petrol.

2. Not how sure how relevant this is to our cars, but if say you have a crash and bugger the engine that turbo timer is going to do it's damnest to keep it ticking over, which might not be in the best interests of you engine. Goku told me something like that modern cars having some sort of saftey mechanism involved that will try to prevent the engine from stopping anyway.

Someone more in the know than I will be able to make more sense/correct that second point.

Davezj
20-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Is this true?

standard TD03's are watewrcooled.

well i never new that, and i didn't think there was any other pipes going to the turbos apart from the air inlet, air output, wastegate vac/pressure, oil feed.

i would like to know the answer to this one.

Cheers dave

Nick Mann
20-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Yep, deffo oil and water feeds and returns to the collar at the middle of the turbo.

The VR4 TD03s are absolutely certainly 100% without doubt water cooled.

bradc
20-06-2007, 08:31 PM
All the VR-4's I've pulled apart have had water pour out from the water coolant lines when removing the turbos :)

rayray24
21-06-2007, 06:01 AM
The VR4 TD03s are absolutely certainly 100% without doubt water cooled.

Well you learn something new everyday. Good to know. Is this common on most modern turbo cars?? On just mitiz?