PDA

View Full Version : Stopping engine firing on 1st turnover

stevec205gti
21-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Hopefully that title is detailed enough to entice someone who knows what I need to know!

If all goes to plan I should be firing Hordak up tomorrow (if the battery actually charges!), and he's not been run for a few months. If possible, I'd like to turn the engine over to move some oil around without the engine actually firing - anyone know what I can disconnect to do this? I had a quick look at the service manual, but I couldn't see anything obvious.

Ta muchly

stuartturbo
21-06-2007, 08:35 PM
fuel pump under seat will do it but it may spin for a couple of secs

bradc
21-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Spark Plug Leads :)

richy rich
21-06-2007, 09:05 PM
fuel pump under seat will do it but it may spin for a couple of secs
As stue said, it is under the back seat drivers side also undo fuel cap, as it hasn't been run for a few months, if it starts it should only be for a second or 2.

Nick Mann
21-06-2007, 09:49 PM
You can remove a multiplug from something that looks like a distributor. That will work. Trouble is, I can't remember exactly! It's kind of at the right hand side of the engine, over the gearbox, possibly level with the top of the vee.

Don't crank it for too long!

Other option is to remove the spark plugs and squirt a bit of WD40 or similar in to the chambers before you turn over at all.

Eurospec
22-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Either pull out the efi fuse, or disconnect the crank angle sensor (the black connector up above the cambelt cover next to the plenum)

Either will do, but the former is better- it will kill spark and fuel, so no fuel sloshing into the bores.

Cheers,

Ben.

stevec205gti
22-06-2007, 01:35 PM
IT'S ALIVE - thanks for all the suggestions :)

Paul Beazer
25-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Why laid up for so long steve?

Kieran
25-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Glad to hear Hordak's all well again! Driven him about again yet?

stevec205gti
25-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Well, several months ago Hordaks slightly noisey gearbox got very noisey! It also blew one of the oil seals and killed the clutch - so it was taken off the road whilst I set about the task of rebuilding the gearbox and seeing what was what. Things were slow going as I've been busy doing an engineering course at college so I rebuilt it as I when I could.

A couple of weekends ago my brother in law was visiting and gave me a hand fitting a new clutch and refitting the gearbox, and up until the weekend I was putting it all back together. I also did some work on the wheels - I couldn't afford to get the tyres off, shot blasted, powder coated and tyres back on, so I set about a lot of sanding down, masking, priming, painting and laquering. Though not perfect, they now look very tasty in Rover Gunmetal and you wouldn't see the marks I could get rid of unless you're closer than a couple of feet away (pictures will follow).

Took him out for a drive up to the MOT station today ( the scenic way :) ) and forgot what a delight he was to drive - especially now with a quiet drivetrain! So, fingers crossed, it will be a pass tomorrow and then I'll tax him at the weekend (I'm too tight to pay a whole months worth of tax just to get back on the road a couple of days earlier!) I'm also hoping I've rebuilt the box properly and it doesn't fall apart again in a few miles!

I've got a couple more things to sort out - the alignment will need redoing as I had to fit a new lower arm, the external temp sensor's gone mental so it thinks it's currently -5 outside, and the cambelt is due in 2k (though having read the how to guide it doesn't look too bad).

Ironically, i'm glad I've sorted this out now as the gearbox in my 205 has just started making some horrendous noises........

PS - I spent a whole day last week cleaning and polishing and waxing!!!

Paul Beazer
25-06-2007, 10:26 PM
PS - I spent a whole day last week cleaning and polishing and waxing!!!

Dont start him, he'll be off about polishing again, once he's caught up with the 300+ unread threads!!!

Glad you got it sorted, what was the problem, knackered bearing wasnt it?

stevec205gti
26-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Well - there wasn't much of a bearing left by the time I stripped the 'box down!