PDA

View Full Version : Dump Valves

Slimshady
22-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok used the company poll car the last couple of days, and I have a question on dump valves.

The poll car is a Ford Mondeo 2ish cc TDI thing, apart from having the heaviest clutch on the planet (I assume cable not hydraulic) it is very very hard to drive and very uncomfortable, my left leg is dead after a long 7 hour drive.

Sorry going off on a tangent, when you accelerate in any gear the turbo spins up (you can just about hear it) and then stays spinning after you change gear, the revs carry on with the clutch in. Subsequently when you change to the next gear the car has too much boost and leaps, splutters then finally the revs drops below 2K and the turbo stops and the car sort of dies so you feel you have to drop back a gear.

What is wrong – is it just a diesel and I can’t drive it or is the dump valve knackered – I have driven diesels before and I know you have to change in low revs but this is silly?

Sorry I need to know because I should report any problems after driving the car and it or me is not quite right – it is also one of the worst cars I have had the misfortune to drive.

Any comments welcome.

Subaru ETA
23-06-2007, 07:34 AM
hmm i havent driven a new shape mondog diesal (we dont have them here) but i have the focus and i think it is one of the best diesals i have driven, if not the best!

the have a hydrolic clutch in the euro fords...

it dont sould like a dump valve issue...more like throttle or even clutch being ****ed issue...

steve190
23-06-2007, 08:35 AM
My van is a turbo diesel and I drive it the same as any normally aspirated vehicle.

Is the throttle cable sticking or something in the linkages. Try revving in neutral - revs should drop straight back.

stuartturbo
23-06-2007, 09:01 AM
was that the 6 speed boxed on if so many people i know find them really pap the bite is quite high. the 6 speed focus is the same.
When i drove it any long distance it was a pain so pretty much drove by criuse control ( on/off/on/off) /lol
How pap was it on pull away/lol

Wodjno
23-06-2007, 09:30 AM
sounds like a sticky linkage or tps problem...