PDA

View Full Version : ATF Fluid Level?

Venatus
25-06-2007, 12:08 PM
i was wondering how defined the level is supposed to be on the ATF dipstick?

because i cant work it out, the fluid level seems to (at least) cover the entire white cylinder thingy even when its stone dead cold?

i think someone may have overfilled it in the past?

i guess at least the fluid on the dipstick is a nice red colour

Nutter_John
25-06-2007, 12:34 PM
you need to check it when hot , before checking it run thru the box ( n , p , d etc )

Then the level should read around the hot mark , a little tip is to clean the white end with some fine grade wet'n'dry so that the oil grips to the dipper

MPBVr4
25-06-2007, 03:21 PM
A tip a picked up this weekend watching the"Williams" boys prep the F1 car was to lay the dip stick flat on a white tissue. It showed where the fluid was or wasn't.:inquisiti

Physician
25-06-2007, 03:44 PM
A tip a picked up this weekend watching the"Williams" boys prep the F1 car was to lay the dip stick flat on a white tissue. It showed where the fluid was or wasn't.:inquisiti

Ohhh, excellent tip .......... have some 'rep'. :)

MPBVr4
25-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Ohhh, excellent tip .......... have some 'rep'. :)

Thank you kind Sir:happy:

Venatus
25-06-2007, 11:51 PM
hmmm it gets completely covered though, ATF ends up even on the little metal wire, but ill try that method of checking today after its been for a drive

Solardavid350
27-06-2007, 12:06 AM
I have just done an ATF amsoil change this weekend and if its any help i warmed the engine for a few mins and then let it really cooled down.Then i checked it about 5-6 times wiping each time and looking where it seemed to be.
it was over the `hot` line so i cracked open the drain plug and had it with just a few threads left in so it dripped fast into a container while still checking the level.
when it got to between the `hot` and `cold` line i retightened the drain plug..not too tight as it alloy and you risk stripping the thread.
All is good and the AT is alot better and no judder at around 2000rpm up a hill anymore.
Hope this helps.

Physician
08-07-2007, 09:40 AM
I also did a small bit of research yesterday.

With the engine stone cold I started her up and ran through the N, P, D, R a few times then checked the ATF dipstick. The reading was just showing on the COLD portion.

When the temperature gauge on dashboard was 25% between C and H the dipstick reading was in the middle of the COLD portion.

When the temperature gauge on dashboard was 50% between C and H (normal running temperature), the dipstick reading was at the start of the HOT portion. I checked a couple of times over the next 10 minutes and it didn't move any further but, of course, the car hadn't been driven - it had only been at idle in my garage.