PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice Needed-New Clutch!

cribba
27-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi all,
Sorry, you've probably heard it all before:zzz: but, I need a new clutch!/help Just had ss. exhaust fitted (Longlife) and clutch has started to slip under boost (standard). Must have freed up a few extra bhp. and clutch probably a bit tired anyway, now finding it hard to cope! (poss. even original, on 75k now).

Searched around forums and threads for clutches, plenty there but I found some of it bit confusing for my poor little brian cell! What I would Really like is some fairy god mother to say " go here and ask for part No........they will deliver it tomorrow" and any other 'bits and bobs' it would be wise to change at the same time. Is it worth uprating or using standard replacement? No serious engine mods and not intending to increase boost-but do give the beast a thrash now and then to try and show it who is boss!

Also would like to ask if anyone has knowledge or experience of this outfit www.rhdjapan.com. They have this(uprated) clutch for Legnum https://www.rhdjapan.com/home/products/product_detail.php?int_product_id=2376
Also lots of other VR4/Legnum/Galant stuff
Any comments or advice? Would be most gratefully received!!:iloveyou:

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 03:35 PM
You can get a standard clucth for around 150 ish , the only issue being you will not know the state of your old flywheel until you have taken it off - this is normally a 3 week turn around from Japan

On a side issue make sure you get a fixed price for the fitting of the clutch as it is around 10-12 hrs work on a vr4

Your clutch options are

Helix uprated - around 600 quid
Exedy Uprated (paddle ) - around 400
Standard mitsy - around 200

Flywheel - around 300
lightened fly - around 400

Any more advise needed let me know

cheers John

Axeboy
27-06-2007, 03:41 PM
If it helps, i have a standard clutch and flywheel in perfect condition...

Can be cheap :)

Also, i have a Exedy Clutch and Pro Shop Lida flywheel... its a nice setup if a little more awkward to drive.

cribba
27-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Guys!
EEEK! Quite expensive then! Would like to 'slightly' uprate, getting fitted isn't too much of a concern-usually it's a couple of mechs I know who fettle porsches for the porsche cup,skylines etc. Biggest problem is time, I'm off 'home' (sort of) for the summer in about a week. Leaving wind and rain swept Cornwall/UK for a bit of dry warm relief in s.france. Car has to stay here!
Err..maybe silly question-what's the difference with the paddle clutch over 'ordinary'?

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Paddle can take a lot more power but make the clutch more of a on or off type device .

An organic clutch will handle around 370 ft/llb torque and is only slightly harder on the left leg ( heavy clutch )

cribba
27-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Ahhh. Don't think I'll go down the paddle route then, on/off too much like hard work for a daily driver and town driving! So where/what should I be looking for to go organic? Er..vegetarians, green party,friends of the earth etc. etc. please don't misunderstand the question!

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Orangic is a term used for the material in the clutch , they are normaly an uprated version but not as sevre

cribba
27-06-2007, 09:12 PM
If it helps, i have a standard clutch and flywheel in perfect condition...

Can be cheap :)

Also, i have a Exedy Clutch and Pro Shop Lida flywheel... its a nice setup if a little more awkward to drive.

Thanks for the offer! looking, I think, to go down a mildly uprated route tho. Just finding something that's a direct fit and not working like a light switch-on or off, is the task!

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 09:17 PM
helix do one for around 600 quid for a cover , plate and release bearing

I have one on my car and have done 40,000 miles with no issue until last weekend when on very hard lauches it started to slip ( but i am running close to max torque on it )

cribba
27-06-2007, 09:37 PM
helix do one for around 600 quid for a cover , plate and release bearing

I have one on my car and have done 40,000 miles with no issue until last weekend when on very hard lauches it started to slip ( but i am running close to max torque on it )

Sounds interesting-where do I go for one? do they do lighter flywheels too? Ohh if you fancy brushing up on your japanglish, have you seen this site?:inquisiti http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.ps-iida.co.jp/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpro%2Bshop%2Biida%26num%3D100%26hl%3D en%26sa%3DG

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 09:40 PM
wrd can get flywheels and the helix clutches as well

the fly i have is about 2.4 kgs lighter than stock

Gowf
28-06-2007, 10:25 AM
The kit from RHD comes in at around 600 delivered. It gives you a 4-5kg flywheel (around 6kg lighter than stock) and a 4 paddle exeedy ceramometallic clutch plate with an uprated pressure plate.

Put quite simply, a standard run of the mill factory clutch will be made out of organic material. This material will slip, it has to in order for you to have any control with the clutch.

When you move up to ceramometalic paddle clutches, their aim is to reduce slippage, so you have a much heavier pressure plate (hence a much heavier pedal) along with the more severe material which gives you a much higher static torue figure(which is the only one that matters when were talking about launching). So you shouldnt have any problems with slippage, which means that yes you will be fine for heavy launches, but not for gently moving forward in traffic.

I have the rhd one in my car, and it is harsh but you do get used to it. i have been in touch with them, pro shop iieda and exeedy and non of them can give me a static torque figure for the clutch. but i'm faily convinced that if you stick to the power that stock turbos can produce you should be fine with one, although this has not been tried and tested by myself so dont take it as gospel.
Next stage up, which is where i will be going if it cant cope with the punishment i am going to give it, is twin plate.

OS Giken do a twin plate for around 1200. yes its a lot, but it does have a static torque of 780nm. With the twin plates, you retain the standard clutch 'weight' on the pedal, but it will be on or off.

So at the end of the day it all depends on what you want it for.....
Driving miss daisey - standard
Quarter mile monster - ceramometalic
fancy remortgaging your life - twin

oh.... and RHD japan have been excellent where im concerned cant fault them.

Axeboy
28-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Stock flywheel is 8.4kg
Pro Shop Lida by RHD is 4.65kg

I have that set up in my car.

It handles my power fine which was 260atw, so expect as above, it should take anything standard turbos can supply... but lifespan might not be the best.

cribba
28-06-2007, 02:01 PM
This is great!
Feeling more informed about things now, mind you-a little learning is a dangerous thing! What does this mean, as no learning must then be utterly suicidal! So thanks for saving me!! I'll mull it over for a day or two, then probably get the pro shop (RHD) jobby. Unless I come over all wimpified in the meantime and go for stock!
Thanks everyone for comments and input!

BraindG
28-06-2007, 02:09 PM
SPEC do good clutches, ive had a SPEC in my car for a while now, 400 quid all in from US and it knocked 0.8 seconds of my 0-60 time :pimp2:

if interested do an advanced search on my username and SPEC

SHOWVR
29-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Hi there, Just incase your interested.....

I have a Sport tuff Heavy duty Exedy Clutch for sale. Brand new item as well, still boxed. If you dont know who exedy is look up this link www.exedy.com. There pretty much the bench mark when it comes to clutches!! Most dudes over here (NZ) have this set up in there car ( see Brads car around 240kw atw ). I work for UPS so I can arrange shipping to your door @ a good price. Regular retail for this clutch is NZD $1600. This is direct fit so none of this fidling around and when you consider how strong your pound is its a good deal.....

Have the clutch availible now so could be on your door step early next week.

bradc
29-06-2007, 06:05 AM
225kw atw :)

Eurospec
02-07-2007, 02:02 PM
When you start with modifying, clutch choice becomes a mare!

Full face clutches (like a std clutch) have a nice feel, they arent too grippy or too heavy and have a decent pedal.

When you start getting into puck clutches, they hold a lot more (less contact area, hence greater contact pressure for a given pressure plate, friction being very dependant on pressure) but, they wear out much faster. I have known a puck clutch (6 puck) be gone in 4500 miles of normal driving here in the lovely south east!

Then you have pressure plate choice, the heavier, the more static torqe load you can handle. Remember an uprated pressure plate used with a puck friction plate will have a huge increase in contact pressure.

After that you have big boy clutches, twins, tripples and carbon etc. They have b@lls, but they snap your neck and honk and make bad noises as standard.

If you have a std car, a std clutch is okay.

If you have a mildly modded car and you dont do that much track, but you want to be able to launch now and again whilst retaining some manners, then a full face friction plate with an uprated pressure plate (like an RPS Street) is a good choice.

If you are into 1/4's then something like a cerrametailc puck clutch with an uprated pressure plate is good. It has enough b@lls to launch it repeatedly, but it will wear fast in normal driving and the pedal is quite nasty.

Finally, if you go for big power, then go for big clutch and get a twin or a neck snapping transfer box shattering tripple.

Beyond that, then carbon is the only way.

Whatever you do, my advice if you are going to track the car is over clutch it. If your car makes 300lb/ft, then put in a 400 lf/ft clutch. Drag racing will kill even something up to the job on paper very fast.

Cheers,

Ben.

Oblivion
18-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Like a few other people here my clutch is finally giving out and starting to slip. With my new one I wont ride it at the lights I promise!! :P
So after a while searching it seems any Evo 7/8 clutch and flywheel package will fit? With a spacer? :thinking:
My end goal will see 600hp so a twin plate will be the way but which manufacturer to go for still has me undecided. Perhaps some of you who have gone down this road already can shed some light on how good they are. OS Giken, Exedy, Cusco, HKS...... ?

Subaru ETA
18-02-2008, 08:47 AM
i dont have a twin plate but i got a exedy heavy duty. taken a few 3500 - 4000 rpm launches no sweet but still not bad on the left leg.

i was told the evo clutch would fit but the bellhousing had to be ground and a spacer fitted?

__ET__
17-07-2008, 12:25 PM
How many people are using the evo8 clutches and flywheel?