PDA

View Full Version : Inlet air temperature

Paul C
27-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone,
i'm thinking of having a tinker with the air feed to my bcda airfilter.and was wondering if anyone had logged the inlet temp.i have my sensor before the throttle body but after the intercooler and was hoping to log the temperature as i modified the intake.Does anyone have standard intake temp reading?or current readings. I will soon start this project if the rain ever stops.

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Hmm I may be wrong but intake tempreture is equal to the external temp , it's only when it hits the whirry things does it get hotter

Paul C
27-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Hmm I may be wrong but intake tempreture is equal to the external temp , it's only when it hits the whirry things does it get hotter

trying to avoid powerloss due to engine bay temperatures, Like when a hks power filter is used and you can lose power if not ducted with decent cold air feeds.

By how much does the whirly thing(turbo) effect air temp?

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 06:52 PM
a hell of a lot

When i first fitted the mapecu2 the ouside temp was 6 degrees the inlet temp at the tb was 30 degrees and i wasn't pushing that hard .

In the summer i would not be suprised if you saw somewhere near 60 degrees on the inlet side on a hot day + thrashing the car

The best way is to ensure the temp going in is the same as hits the TB - ie nice free flowing intercooler will bring the temp back down to outside temp ( or cooler if you sue water spray etc )

Kieran
27-06-2007, 07:00 PM
By how much does the whirly thing(turbo) effect air temp?

Ah, the joys of Adiabatic heating.....:scholar:

Depends on the speed of the turbines, the size of the compessor and it's efficiency and how much boost you're pushing through them. With our teeny tiny little hairdryers, whilst I haven't got a map to prove/disprove this, I imagine that at .55 bar (stock) they are in a good efficiency zone across the rev range, but at 1 bar they're probably more like fan heaters!

There's more excellent, in depth info on Jeff Lucius's Stealth316 website (before tuning a Mitsubishi V6, or indeed any car, I feel it should be law to read and digest what this guy has to say!), right here:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-adiabat1.htm

To give you a real world answer - Usually after a good blast with ambient temps around the 18 degrees mark, my post turbo but pre intercooler hard pipes are so hot you can only touch them for about 1 or 2 seconds before you risk burning your skin - so what's that? 60/70ish degrees you reckon?

AderC
27-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I was logging my runs at the Pod on Saturday. Air temp was 65-75C on the start line and had gone down to 38-40C by the end of each run.

A half-hour journey on 17th June gave an average temp of 25.5C

Statto

Paul C
28-06-2007, 08:54 PM
I was logging my runs at the Pod on Saturday. Air temp was 65-75C on the start line and had gone down to 38-40C by the end of each run.

A half-hour journey on 17th June gave an average temp of 25.5C

Statto

cheers mate i have noticed similar results to you.I have been pricing up intercoolers and do a before and after loggin session