PDA

View Full Version : I give up ! help please...

Solardavid350
27-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Ok i fitted a greedy Profecb 2 BC on weekend and i have spent nearly £150 on petrol..just about gone though all the settings and i still can`t get it to set up correctly..
Just where the hell do i start?
i have tried from 0% gain and 5% boost(lowest setting) and worked up i either get sod all power or a flat spot at 3000rpm where rpm dies and then works up again.
it just feels like the wastegate opens at 3000rpm with around (70 kpa) .7 bar?

i`ve checked the threads and tried those settings but those don`t work either.
Even sent pm mail to colVR as he has a profecb and his settings where way off for me...boost spiked to hell and fuel cut.

can someone explain in idiots terms what all this `gain` , `set boost etc really means.

cheers i really need to sort this BC out as i gotta take the car to London on weekend for my brothers wedding...

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Now this may not be 100% correct but should point you in the right direction

Boost - this is the target boost that you want the BC to get to
Gain - this is how quickly the controller will allow the boost to be built up

Now if the gain is too high then you will get a spike as it goes above the target boost befoer it notices it

I would suggest you set the boost to be around 0.8 bar and set the gain at around 20% . now try some runs with hard ptm in 3rd / 4th gear ( as these are most likey to suffer spikes ) . Increase the gain until you hit a large spike or fuel cut then back it off .

Once you have gotten the hang of it try upping the boost to around 0.9 bar and try again with a slightly lower gain

after this you should be as close to full boost control as you will get .

Now the hard bit DON'T keep hitting fuel cut it is not the best for the engine

hope this helps , if not i'm sure someone better than me will also shout out help

Solardavid350
27-06-2007, 07:39 PM
i have tried those settings and i spike at 3000 rpm with over 1 bar.
i then reduced gain 2% a time and still `spiked`until i went down to 0% gain when then i had no power.
So i reduced set boost down 2% a time and gain set back to 25% and started again..i still spiked out until i go right back down to 5% boost and 0% gain.

I have set boost(wastegate opens) at 1.1 which is called `start boost` for the profecb (max psi ?)
i`m trying to achieve about a safe .8 bar boost maybe go to 1 bar max but with good spoolup and no spiking and no flat spots.

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 07:45 PM
let me download the manual but I think the settings are wrong

with no boost control the car should pull around 0.4->0.6 bar when the wastegate opens .

From waht you have just said it look like the boost setting may be boost start + boost setting which means you will spike to hell

I think the boost start needs to be lower than 1.1 bar

let me check and get back to you

Kieran
27-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I've got a Profec BII sat in my garage. Not fitted it ever, but I've been reading and it can be an arse to set up.

Have a read of this........ If you're getting 'Spiky' boost, pay particular attention to the reports regarding removing the cap over the unused port on the boost solenoid.

Also, where are you plumbing the solenoid into?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=60826

Solardavid350
27-06-2007, 08:21 PM
yes removed the cap and plumbed into the bugger of the `t`interconnecting pipe between the actuators.

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Right as I thought you start boost is wrong , infact very very very very wrong

The Start boost is the point at which the boost controller allows the wastegates to see the boost level - by setting this at 1.1 bar you are running a huge risk of spiking beyond the engine can take

I will fully read the instructions and come back with some suggested settings ( i will not garentee them )

Solardavid350
27-06-2007, 08:33 PM
i`ve tried lower settings on that too..from .5 bar

Solardavid350
27-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I have been out for 3 hours each night since sunday and a tankful of petrol each night,so you can see how much it is costing to try to get even a `stock` setting.

Nutter_John
27-06-2007, 08:35 PM
ok then you say you have connected into the bigger of the t interconnecting pipes , which one as there is only one fromwhat i recall down there which plumbs into the metal pipe to the waste gates

Solardavid350
27-06-2007, 09:11 PM
yes thats the one..i read the club article on fitting an EBC where after removing the main air inlet pipes and following the red tipped pipe down to the metal pipe that connects the 2 wastegates thats a bugger to get the clip off i plumbed into that.
The EBC is working..i do get boost pressure and it adjusts when i adjust the controller..i just can`t find the right setting.
This is how i interpret the manual and settings..tell me if i`m wrong please.

`Start boost` when i want the wastegates to open and the max boost i want i.e .8 bar(10psi?)

`set` how reactive the wastegate is to boost preesure if i set 100% then the wastegate won`t open till boost is at .8 bar and this would be very risky as it`ll overshoot before solenoid opens gates.
0% will open the gate faster well before desired boost pressure to bleed off exhaust so turbos will take alot longer to spool up.

`gain` how fast the solenoid opens the wastegates and is relative to `set`
100% will probably keep the wastegate shut so 99% would be really slow to open the gates.
0% the solenoid will work to its max speed.

hopefully i have got something wrong in my understanding and someone can shed some light on my error.

Solardavid350
27-06-2007, 09:16 PM
so i think i`m after something like the following
.8 - .9 bar max boost in the `start` boost setting.
10-30% gain
10-30% set

i have tried every thing in this range and i get results as 1st post.

AderC
27-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Start boost it the boost level at which the EBC starts to open/control the wastegate. As I understand it the set and gain don't actually do very much until the start boost level is hit. You need to set the start boost to a few psi below your target boost, then adjust the set and gain until your required boost level is reached.

e.g. if you want 12psi, set the start boost to around 8psi, then adjust the set and gain until you hold 12psi at WOT in the higher gears. If you set the start boost to 12psi you will spike above 12psi - setting it a few psi below the target allows the EBC to take control before spiking occurs. Setting the start boost too low will mean your turbos won't spool up as quickly.

aDe

Solardavid350
27-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Okies i went out again for yet another setup test and decided to try to get fuel cut and/or limiter and go downwards.
As i started to put settings up things started to get better, so i carried on and it got better and better.
Now it seems really good the settings that seems to be about there are.

set boost 43%
gain 18%
start boost .7 bar

i got peak around 1 bar so i`m about as high as i should go and i hit the limiter a few times at 1.05 bar
so i set boost down to 41% and gain to 17% and i couldn`t get it to limiter or any signs of fuel cut.
So i`m in the right area now.

BTW what does fuel cut feel like? A bit like if i hit redline max 7500 rpm?

Nutter_John
28-06-2007, 07:47 AM
Fuel cut feels like hitting a brick wall , first time i had it i thought the engine had gone .

Kieran
28-06-2007, 08:45 AM
BTW what does fuel cut feel like? A bit like if i hit redline max 7500 rpm?

Imagine that but ten times more violent and you're about there. If you've ever been sat in a manual car at a junction and forgotten you're still in gear and just let go of the clutch - well that's a similar sensation, theres a bang, the car lurches and you go and change your undies!

AderC
28-06-2007, 12:18 PM
It makes you check your rear-view mirror for a trail of expensive-looking engine bits...

Be wary of tuning the boost to just below fuel cut in Summer. When the weather gets cold you'll start hitting fuel cut and you'll need to back off the boost. Some folk use the Lo and Hi boost settings to have setups for cold and warm weather.

aDe

Axeboy
28-06-2007, 12:20 PM
I hate the profec... i sold mine after a few weeks.... I got it working ok, but it was fiddly and a pain in the ass.

back to the HKS EVC for me.

Solardavid350
29-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks guys/thankyou it all makes bloody sense now./pan
After the comments and advice, reading the manual,the mlr forum on Greddy ProfecB2 and our own forums i discovered where i was going wrong.
Simply i had set the start boost over my `desired` boost.
So here is my latest road test result settings.

SET (or Desired boost) 50% thats about 10psi
START BOOST set for 7psi
GAIN 13%
WARNING set at 11psi
LIMITER SET AT -7% this will reduce the desired boost by about .7 psi

My VR4 is now like a scolded cat and pulls like hell, i`m sure there is more to play with some more tweaking and higher boost but i`m more than happy with the results so far.Maybe i will take her to a rolling road soon and see what they can do and have some figures . I`ll do that over the next few weeks and keep you informed on my progress.
Hope to see you guys again soon.