PDA

View Full Version : Repainting, rear-cam, door sills, removal of towbar

MarkSanne
28-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Been busy last weeks having the car repainted on numerous spots/places (roof, bumper, side, wheel arches) since it had a few spots, dents and therefore was not perfect :)

The interior was given a little makeover by a company called 'dr Vinyl' who fix every little (or large) imperfection in the interiour. Some little cuts in the leather/skai were fixed and the steering wheel had a complete makeover. It absolutely looks and feels like new! Great job.

Also I removed the towbar completely (what a b*tch to remove!). Turned out the custom dual exhaust end-dampers were bolted onto the towbar-bolts! Been busy for hours to get it removed and the exhaust re-attached.

And now that I got the bumper off, it was just then that I noticed the minor cut it had (was needed for clearance of the towbar). Had that fixed (plastic-welding they call it). Drilled a hole in the middle for the reverse-gear (or just-for-fun!) camera and then the complete rear-bumper was repainted. Looks awesome!

I also had a set of 4 stainless 'Galant' door sills laying around for weeks and put them on the car as well. Just gives a little more classy look to it (been high on the 3M abs adhesive glue though :)).

Radio cables... madness!!!

This Pioneer AVIC-HD1BT is an amazingly versatile unit. It has currently connected:
- subwoofer line-out
- rear-cam line in
- 4 speakers output
- bluetooth receiver
- gps receiver
- microphone
- iPod connector
- dual-zone video & audio line out
- antenna
- ISO connectors (antenna-power, power, signal, lights, etc).

Yet it's not even fully connected! I can hook up another external audio/video device (tv perhaps in the future, when those receivers are more affordable).

Enhough cosmetics, it's time for some 'real' tuning! (besides Xenon and an incredably sophisticated 2-way alarm system with all kinds of gadgets), so I'll be changing:

- change clutch for special ACT clutch & pressure plate (been laying around for months now)
- change airfilter for larger one
- add a piggyback-ECU (apexi)
- add a turboboost-controller (apexi)

BraindG
28-06-2007, 10:20 AM
oh, like the bum with the bumper on! :afro: looking good there!

I-S
28-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I would love to see more pics of the pioneer. I was thinking of getting one of the cheap double-DIN LCDs off ebay, and want an idea of how they look in the dash.

MarkSanne
28-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Here you go Isaac!

By the way, I got the Pioneer rather 'cheap' using eBay, it was 'just' 1400 euro (compared to the 2500 euro regular new price). A few months later I added another one of these babies to one of my old 6G Galants too. See pics below (first two are 8G galant, rest is 6G).

For those of you who like to see more pictures of my 6G black beauty, see:

http://forum.mitsubishi-owners-club.nl/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3386
http://forum.mitsubishi-owners-club.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3439

I-S
28-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Thank you. My opinion is that it looks better in the 6G than the 8G, but perhaps it's just because the wood is incongruous with it. As much as I'd love the pioneer, it's too expensive for me but perhaps I'll get one of the cheap ones on ebay.

MarkSanne
28-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree with you Isaac. The main problem with the 8G is the non-standard 2DIN size that Mitsubishi used. No 2DIN radio will fit and fill the gaps.

I plan on using my father-in-laws computer CNC machine to create a proper bracket that fills the gaps and complements the radio and the 'wood' dash. If it's not too expensive to produce I'll probably make a whole bunch of em just for other Galant drivers who want to use a 2DIN radio and have a perfect closure-bracket.

Johnny_Cashed
28-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I like those stainless door sills, where did you get them from?

EDIT: I once saw some on ebay UK for a Legnum, from a seller in Japan who said they'd been taken off of a car, but I think they were sills that replaced all of the plastic bit, rather than fitting on top like yours.

MarkSanne
28-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I like those stainless door sills, where did you get them from?

EDIT: I once saw some on ebay UK for a Legnum, from a seller in Japan who said they'd been taken off of a car, but I think they were sills that replaced all of the plastic bit, rather than fitting on top like yours.

Got them from e-bay. I think they are always available from a Hong Kong seller. Be warned... I received them in a box that was smaller (!!!) than the large sills! I had to bend them back into shape very carefully and the result is flawless, but it takes time.

MikeKey
28-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I would love to see more pics of the pioneer. I was thinking of getting one of the cheap double-DIN LCDs off ebay, and want an idea of how they look in the dash.

I thought about one of those cheapo double-din units off eBay but bought a Kenwood DDX-6029 in the end as the others were a bit of an unknown quantity. Here's a pic of it in the car: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1647

Looks like that model's been replaced by the 7029, 8029 and 7200 now, but they're much the same design. I'm well pleased with it, sounds like it has all the same inputs/outputs as the Pioneer too.

Beastlee
28-06-2007, 05:56 PM
So the stainless sills aren't standard? Woohoo another extra on my car ;)

Kieran
28-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Nah, they fitted over the top of your existing ones! Shiny Bits!:afro: :scholar:

Johnny_Cashed
28-06-2007, 08:36 PM
They do look nice, I'm very tempted. Need to buy amsoil first though! Are they a good fit?

Beastlee
28-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Mine have a small rubber edgeing piece that stops chafing, :inquisiti:, fit seems good but probably not perfect as some may like. I thought they were original fitment though so must be good really.
Only annoyance I have is that the rubber strip round the edge has started to come off and is a pig to reseat without glue. Will get some pics tomorrow.

Can be seen at http://legnum.mine.nu/images/Original/DSC00060.JPG

MarkSanne
28-06-2007, 09:38 PM
They do look nice, I'm very tempted. Need to buy amsoil first though! Are they a good fit?

Mine fit absolutely perfect. Adhesives and some kind of glue/primer is packed with them. And just 29 euro, so quite cheap.

jayjay99
28-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I was thinking of getting the Kenwood DNX-7200 double din head unit but at £800 and no face off I was a bit worried about someone just breaking a window and taking it. Any of you have these concerns? Also, thouse of you that have these fitted already, how did you manage to do it if the gap is different? any techniques or suggestions?
Mark, if you do make those brackets I'd be straight in there!

MarkSanne
29-06-2007, 06:50 AM
@jayjay99: I have bolted my headunit straight onto the metal mitsu-bracket, which is screwed to the dashboard-chassis of the car. Even by extreme force they cannot take it out (although probably make a horrible mess out of my dashboard...). The only way to get it out is by removing the dashboard-frontface, the gearstick-dash-piece, then remove the climate control unit and then use a very short mini philips screwdriver to get to the bolt that hold the headunit. So I think that will take to much skill and moreover: time. An alarm should also keep/get 'm on a distance.

As soon as I have something made for a gap-bracket I'll sure post it here!

jayjay99
29-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Ah cool, don't suppose you have a pic of the current mounting do you?

MarkSanne
29-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Ah cool, don't suppose you have a pic of the current mounting do you?

Nope, and I don't really want to open up things again, just for the picture, sorry!

jayjay99
30-06-2007, 02:09 AM
That's ok, I thought you meant you could see it when it was in. It's ok now, I went shopping and splashed out on a new stereo, I've posted here. (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=261288#post261288)