PDA

View Full Version : Wiper and indicator stalks, can they be swapped?

Paul M
28-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a 2001 Galant V6 Sport manual to replace my current daily driver which is a 1998 Omega 3.0 MV6 manual. I've done a little research and discovered that the wiper and indicator stalks appear to be on the "wrong" way for a European market car, i.e. fitted the way they usually are on JDM cars. I find this very surprising for a 2001 car, as I had a 1999 Subaru Impreza Turbo a few years back and they had Euro-style stalk fitment -- only the 1996 and older UK models had the Japanese style stalks.

Anyway, is it possible to correct this, maybe by fitting stalks from a LHD model or something? It's something that I expect to find extremely annoying, and I won't ever get used to it as I own two cars so will be constantly having to remember which I'm driving before reaching for the indicator.

It's such a petty thing but it could well sway my decision on whether to go for this car.

Cheers
Paul.

Nick Mann
28-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I have never seen a Galant with the stalks set the european way round. It is suprising how quickly you get used to it. I also drive my wifes 206 regularly, which means swapping my brain between two different cars. I'm not saying I never get it wrong, but it is rare.

I-S
28-06-2007, 02:54 PM
You're right except in terms of your use of "right" and "wrong". The galant has the stalks the correct way around. Most cars sold here do not.

Allow me to explain: The indicator stalk on the left is the "european standard" (although it is not mandated). However, the "european standard" is also to have the wheel on the left and drive on the wrong side of the road. In a left hand drive car, the indicator stalk should be on the left. In a right hand drive car it should be on the right. It is the relative position of indicator and gear lever that is the important issue - they should be on opposite sides of the steering column. That is why japanese and british cars had this the correct way around (because they were designed with RHD in mind) and american and european cars did not (because they were designed with LHD in mind).

In practice, it's not as big a deal as you think. I have hire cars where it's on the left and only get it wrong once or twice in a few days, and you'll get used to it very quickly. My parents have got used to swapping over because we have three cars with it on the right (shogun, galant GLS, galant GDI) and one with it on the left (BMW). You adapt very quickly.

stevec205gti
28-06-2007, 03:26 PM
I'd be more concerned about the V6 manual gearbox than which side the stalks are on!!!

Paul M
28-06-2007, 03:31 PM
I've heard that argument before, but I don't think it's a particularly great one. The reality is that 99% of cars sold in the UK have the indicator on the left, including many Japanese cars such as Hondas and Subarus, so for Mitsubishi to believe they're right and the other 99% is wrong doesn't seem to make any sense. It was one of the reasons I bought a UK Subaru instead of a cheaper import WRX; I got a car that was designed for the UK, using the same standard of fuel as every other UK car, as well as the same indicator layout. The WRX uses Japanese 100 RON fuel and Japanese control layout.

I like the "UK" layout on a RHD car, because it means I can steer with my right hand and use my left to shift and indicate as necessary, no matter what position my right hand happens to be on the wheel (i.e. if it's mid-bend on a motorway I don't want to have to move it to the 3-oclock position just to indicate). The only time I've driven LHD cars has been rental cars in the US, and as it's near impossible to hire a manual there I've only had (horrid) automatics. So it's the same approach - right hand on the wheel almost always, left hand to indicate and resting on the window ledge the rest of the time.

So it's not possible to use the stalks from a LHD model, assuming they made this model in LHD? I expect (or at least hope) the stalks are in the "Euro" layout on LHD models?

I still maintain they're the wrong way round for the UK market ;)

Paul M
28-06-2007, 03:33 PM
I'd be more concerned about the V6 manual gearbox than which side the stalks are on!!!

Is it known to be fragile? I've read lots of horror stories about the automatics, but I wouldn't touch an auto anyway, on any car, not least because they tend to break much more often. Main reason of course is the driving enjoyment.

I-S
28-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Mitsubishi don't particularly make an effort to put it there. The Carisma had it on the left. I don't know about the lancer. I suspect it comes down to the Galant being a japanese designed and built car, whereas the carisma was built in the netherlands and I've yet to be persuaded that it was designed.

I think it's something you will get used to much more easily than you think. When I hired a primera for a business trip the dashboard was in the middle (like the mini). Before I drove that car that sort of layout would have put me off buying a car, but after driving it for a day I discovered that really it made naff-all difference. I suspect that the same would be true of vauxhall's indicators (post-omega) and I know it's true of the wiper/indicator thing. It's certainly a silly thing to consider a "deal breaker" imo.

Paul M
28-06-2007, 03:50 PM
It's certainly a silly thing to consider a "deal breaker" imo.

Maybe but I place a high importance on things that I'm continually interacting with as part of my driving. Some people consider climate control a deal breaker, personally I consider it more of a gimmick that looks flashy -- both my cars have dual climate control with independent controls for each side, and the BMW even lets you control the centre air vent temperature seperately from both, but given the choice between that and the "correct" indicator layout I'd choose the latter.

Each person will have different thoughts, but I consider it more important to get the basics right before moving on to the "bling" :)

stevec205gti
28-06-2007, 03:56 PM
They can be - the input shaft bearing seems to be a weak spot. There are a few people on the forum that have had the problem. I'm sure if you do a search for something like gearbox bearing or similar you'l turn up more information on it. Generally if you can hear any noise from the gearbox i'd be very wary.

Also, the standard alloys are a bit soft so keep an eye out for vibration on the test drive.

That siad, i find mine a real delight to drive, and the howl when you give it some beans is particularly evocative

Kieran
28-06-2007, 04:14 PM
It's certainly a matter of personal taste - And it's one of those things the, like the choice of manual vs auto polarises people. Personally, It makes more sense for me that the indicator is 'JDM' - simply because that means my right hand is on the wheel at all times - I just have to extend my fingers forward to flick on the indicator, whilst my left hand is free to deal with the gearshift if needed.

The Golf's got the euro layout and to me it's madness having the two controls (other than the steering wheel and the pedals) that you need whilst daily driving operated by the same hand - it means you can't do both at once and that's a BIG negative for me.

But, having said all that - I'm sure you'll get used to it. Like nick, I have to swap my head around a I jump into the golf or a hire car and having to deal with three pedals and one of those silly prehistoric boxes where you have to do all the gearchanging yourself!/pan

Johnny_Cashed
28-06-2007, 05:36 PM
To me, being in control of the wheel and being able to shift gears if required is more important than having the indicator on or off. I find when I'm going round a roundabout indicating right, as I move to change lanes to take a turn I switch the indicator to left with the hand that's on the wheel.

Paul M
28-06-2007, 06:43 PM
But, having said all that - I'm sure you'll get used to it. Like nick, I have to swap my head around a I jump into the golf or a hire car and having to deal with three pedals and one of those silly prehistoric boxes where you have to do all the gearchanging yourself!/pan

/pan

I know what you mean.... last time I hired a car in the US it only had two pedals, but one of them big round prehistoric things right in front of me. I had to keep turning the damn thing to get the car around corners, it seems crazy in 2007 that you should have to keep turning big round things just to drive the car!

:scholar:

Paul M
28-06-2007, 07:02 PM
To me, being in control of the wheel and being able to shift gears if required is more important than having the indicator on or off. I find when I'm going round a roundabout indicating right, as I move to change lanes to take a turn I switch the indicator to left with the hand that's on the wheel.

I find that both shifting and indicating take such a short period of time that I can easily accomplish both between one hand, especially as both can usually be foreseen and planned before actually doing them. For example, accelerating off a roundabout I know I'll need to shift up a gear on the exit, so I'll indicate left beforehand, shift up as required, then cancel the indicator. All the time my right hand is dealing with the issue of steering, which may mean it's at the 12-oclock position at times I need to indicate, not exactly useful if the indicator is on the right.

I guess it's something I may have to persevere with, but I've driven cars with it before and I find it a total nuisance.

Paul Beazer
28-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Just my two cent worth. Buti've spent more time driving cars with the indicator on the left than on the right, and i can honestly say it makes sod all difference to me. Like most things the are subtle differences to all cars. It certainly isnt something that would put me off buying a car. Next you'll be moaning that the handbrake lever isnt in the middle of the centre console!

ANTHONY
28-06-2007, 08:39 PM
but i like going around a corner with the wipers going

Paul Beazer
28-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Esp when its raining!

SGHOM
28-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I've read lots of horror stories about the automatics, but I wouldn't touch an auto anyway, on any car, not least because they tend to break much more often.

Yet is says in yr profile you drive a 840 ci ?? surely an auto ?? :thinking: :thinking:

bradc
29-06-2007, 06:02 AM
Derek - they did make some 6 speed manuals!

Paul - about your 840Ci, how long have you had it, how has it been, etc. I'm on the look out for an 850 with a manual box :D

Paul Beazer
29-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Oh god he's off again about that bloody 850! Buy a volvo, its got the same numbers and you can have an estate!

Ok, ok im going....

bradc
29-06-2007, 07:18 AM
haha whatever

Nick Mann
29-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Just to follow up on the manual box thing - the box itself is a strong one, but the input shaft bearing seems to be a not uncommon failure. It normally gives plenty of warning (tens of thousands of miles) that it needs attention, and the cost of changing it is the labour cost of removing and refitting the gearbox more than the cost of the bearing.

I don't think it is fair to call the box weak!