PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Galant V6 Sport manual buying advice

Paul M
28-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I am thinking of buying the aforementioned car, which has a full service history and appears (from the advert) to be in generally good shape and well maintained. The most recent service was a major one including cam belt. The mileage is quite high but I don't consider that to be a big issue if it's been properly maintained, I've had several high mileage cars before with few problems. I haven't gone to see it in person yet as it's fairly far from me.

So basically I'm asking what I need to look out for when viewing a potential purchase. What are the common failure points, or areas that show up lack of care?

In addition, does anyone have a full spec sheet for this car so I know what equipment it has? A few pages scanned from a brochure would be ideal. I'm buying it to replace my 3.0 MV6 Omega which is really well specced, having just about everything except leather seats (it has cloth sports seats instead).

Cheers
Paul.

Nick Mann
28-06-2007, 02:44 PM
There are a few options on the sport, so it is difficult to say.
Climate control, front fogs, 4 x electric windows is all standard. Optional is leather/electric heated leather, electric sunroof, twin front fogs.

The couple of things that spring to mind on a high mileage/older car are check the rear wheel arches for rust - it seems to be one of the weaker places - and check the manual gearbox for bearing noise. Neither should put you off if the price is right I guess!

Good luck.

If you are near Birmingham, shout me and I may have some time to come and have a look with you.

Paul Beazer
28-06-2007, 07:55 PM
As Nick says, bearing noise from the gearbox "can" be an issue on higher milers. Nothing really to add, have a good look round the engine for oil leaks, other than that not much else springs to mind.

Mines done 102k with nothing major other than a wheel bearing go. I did replace the gearbox on mine at 87k because of the bearing noise, but only 'cos i could afford to at the time!

pitslayer
30-06-2007, 04:21 PM
102 isnt highmileage?????
our v6 sport, has had loads of work done. gearbox, will be expensive when it goes and its usually a clutch change aswell at the same time. the bearings cost us about 500 to get done. just got to watch ours was full service history, but we had to do the gearbox and clutch, cambelt(always do this regardless of when its been done, even if it was done 5 miles ago by previous owner, ill get it redone by someone i can trust) had ball joints, wheel bearings done on the front, track rod ends brakes.
just because its full service history, doesnt mean its had work done on it to keep proper. ours cost quite a bit to get it sorted, shame really, selling it nowm to many cars and it doesnt get used. nice car now its all be sorted

I-S
30-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Regarding spec items, I happen (sad bastard that I am) to have here the 2001 galant range brochure. So, let's see. In mitsubishi order:

Alloys with locking nuts
Colour keyed bumpers
Chrome exhaust trim
Colour keyed door handles and mirrors
Front Fogs
Colour Keyed Grille
Met paint
Side Airdams
Colour Keyed side protector mouldings
Green tinted windows

Halogen Headlamps
Remote Central locking
Black Roof Mouldings for roof rack
Boot pull-down handle
Wash/wipe with int function

Alarm/keyless entry
Immobiliser

ABS with EBD
Dual Airbags
Side Airbags
Childproof locks
Wide-angle driver's door mirror
Front/rear elec windows with anti-trap and one-touch open/close
Rear fogs
headrests
High-mount stop lamp
Side impact bars
collapsible, adjustable steering column
Steering Lock

Power Aerial
CD Autochanger
RDS Radio
Stereo Cassette/tuner

Chrome interior door handles
Fabric seat trim and door inserts
leather momo steering wheel, handbrake lever, gear lever
Non-woven fabric headlining
titanium finish centre and floor console panels

Climate control air conditioning
Coat Hangers
Coin box with lid
Console box
Illuminated cupholders: centre console and rear
Front door pockets
Driver's footrest
Seatback pockets
Lockable, illuminated glovebox
Power Steering
Rear seat heater ducts
Retractable grab handles
Sun visors

Rear window demister
Digital "timewarp" clock
Electrically adjustable/folding/heated door mirrors
Trip meter
Remote fuel lid opener
Headlamp levelling device
Instrument display with digital meters
Instrument panel dimmer
Lights on warning buzzer
Remote boot lid opener
Tachometer

Interior light with Delay function
Door courtesy lamps
Personal lamps front/rear
Luggage area lamp

Rear seat centre armrest
Driver's seat dual height adjustment
Driver's seat lumbar support adjustment
Front seats adjustable slide and recline
3 point seatbelts (front x2, rear x3)
60/40 split folding backrests rear

Those specs are assuming you're after a saloon.

lboots
02-07-2007, 10:18 PM
mines got some gucci leather recaro seats.

Mark 4
03-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Hey Isaac, are you sure that you don't live in Brighton ?