PDA

View Full Version : The VR-4 - Personal Comparison

KiwiTT
28-06-2007, 10:23 PM
I am not sure how many people think the same way I do about the VR-4, but I am getting bored reading car magazines describing the benefits of this performance car or that. I have just finished reading NZ Autocar May and June 2007 editions. In May, it had a comparison of 1999 BMW 328i Coupe vs 2007 BMW 335i Coupe, and in June, it had a review of the A5/S5. After reading these two articles, I was left with the impression of how good the VR-4 is.

The BMW article, finished with a comment of how simpler the older car was to the newer one and therefore somewhat better and therefore preferred, even though it was not as fast or refined. The comment can apply equally to the VR-4. The A5/S5 article was talking about the various technical features, the ability to move more torque to the rear, which the VR-4 has a passive form of, a future Porsche designed transmission in a later model, which the VR-4 has, and of course 4WD. I can't help but be left with the impression that the VR-4 is such a good car even today.

The VR-4 Type-S model, which is the top of the range model (excluding the Super VR-4 special) has so many items that are still being talked about as advanced features or options on new cars. These include;

Active-Stability-Control (ASC) (http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_other.htm#ESP), which is now known is electronic stability control and comes into play only when needed
Active-Yaw-Control (AYC) (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5952) (members-only), which allows the car to take corners a lot faster than normal carsThis is in addition to four-wheel-drive (4WD) (http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_4wd.htm), traction-control (TC) (http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_other.htm#TC), anti-lock-braking system (ABS) (http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_other.htm#ABS) and a 5-speed Tiptronic transmission (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5299) (members only), that really works. In addition, my personal car has the Ralliart Suspension Option, 17" alloys and Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres, transforms the car's handling to a new level.

While the VR-4 may not have the power of some of the newer performance cars, some members have seen fit to remedy this situation, to truly make the VR-4 as relevant today as it was when it was first released. After owning the car for nearly four years and almost losing it recently in an accident (since restored - see mine in members cars), I am even more convinced it is the car I want to own for as long as I can. And yes, I will still keep reading about performance cars in Auto Magazines, convinced in the knowledge that the VR-4 is still a great "Sports Saloon" even if it is over 10 years old.

Here are some comments from some reviews (available in the full members section) of this great car.

"Putting the power down cleanly is a four-wheel drive system that splits the torque 50:50 between the front and rear axles in normal driving, and then varying the ratio according to whichever end of the car needs it most.

Behind the wheel however, the drive feels a little rear-biased, which better suits sporty driving anyway. There's more traction than even the engine can defeat, and if you manage to get wheelspin in the Galant, it probably means you're on top of an oily patch." - Galant Warrior (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5765)

"If the Evolution were a small nimble race-bred sprint horse, the Galant VR-4 ... would be a tall muscular stallion, ..." - High Performance Imports (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14778)

"In terms of performance, the VR4 rivals strongly with its direct competitors such as Legacy RSK and Skyline 25GT, if not the more expensive Audi S4 and BMW M3. " - AutoZine (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158)

"Yes, as Star Trek's Spock would most probably have said, when describing the Mitsubishi Galant VR4: "It's an estate car, Jim, but not as we know it."
" - Top Gear (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5717)

"Now we've driven a Galant that eclipses all others, the stupendous permanent four-wheel drive, twin turbocharged V6-powered VR4. It has the same handsome, wedgy, BMW-influenced lines, but adds a purposeful deep chin spoiler, subtle side skirts and a chunky rear wing." - Autopoint (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144)

"It’s the innocuous sounding Galant VR4. Which in reality is about as innocuous as a hand grenade. On any road you care to choose, it would take an Audi S4 apart more swiftly than Mr. Creosote eating a lobster. And a BMW M3. A tussle with an Impreza Turbo would be interesting, but it’s by no means certain that the Subaru would win. Did I mention that the Galant is an automatic?" - AutoCar (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557)

"On the road, though, it’s the Galant that really shines. The weighty feel to the steering and armfuls of feedback from both helm and chassis encourage you to press on as soon as the traffic frees up. Any thoughts of the auto-box hampering progress are dismissed the first time you ask it to kick down. On only a couple of occasions did it need time to think before selecting the appropriate gear. Otherwise it delivers smooth, effortless and unobtrusive changes whenever your right foot demands.
" - EVO Magazine (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564)

bradc
28-06-2007, 10:29 PM
best post ever

ianturbo
28-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I am not sure how many people think the same way I do about the VR-4, but I am getting bored reading car magazines describing the benefits of this performance car or that. I have just finished reading NZ Autocar May and June 2007 editions. In May, it had a comparison of 1999 BMW 328i Coupe vs 2007 BMW 335i Coupe, and in June, it had a review of the A5/S5. After reading these two articles, I was left with the impression of how good the VR-4 is.

The BMW article, finished with a comment of how simpler the older car was to the newer one and therefore somewhat better and therefore preferred, even though it was not as fast or refined. The comment can apply equally to the VR-4. The A5/S5 article was talking about the various technical features, the ability to move more torque to the rear, which the VR-4 has a passive form of, a future Porsche designed transmission in a later model, which the VR-4 has, and of course 4WD. I can't help but be left with the impression that the VR-4 is such a good car even today.

The VR-4 Type-S model, which is the top of the range model (excluding the Super VR-4 special) has so many items that are still being talked about as advanced features or options on new cars. These include;
Active-Stability-Control (ASC), which is now known is electronic stability control and comes into play only when needed
Active-Yaw-Control (AYC) (members-only), which allows the car to take corners a lot faster than normal cars
This is in addition to four-wheel-drive (4WD), traction-control (TC), anti-lock-braking system (ABS) and a 5-speed Tiptronic transmission (members only), that really works. In addition, my personal car has the Ralliart Suspension Option, 17" alloys and Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres, transforms the car's handling to a new level.

While the VR-4 may not have the power of some of the newer performance cars, some members have seen fit to remedy this situation, to truly make the VR-4 as relevant today as it was when it was first released. After owning the car for nearly four years and almost losing it recently in an accident (since restored - see mine in members cars), I am even more convinced it is the car I want to own for as long as I can. And yes, I will still keep reading about performance cars in Auto Magazines, convinced in the knowledge that the VR-4 is still a great "Sports Saloon" even it is over 10 years old.

that a top post mate , i ain't got mine yet but hopefully in next month !

Compressor
28-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Well said!!!!

Mark 4
28-06-2007, 11:23 PM
ABSAFoo KIN LOOTELY !

Davezj
28-06-2007, 11:34 PM
great post couldn't agre more.

they are great cars.

Kenneth
28-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Great post :)

The VR-4 is definitely a lot of car and I think hugely underrated :)

VR4 MAD
29-06-2007, 02:42 AM
I have to agree 100%. That's just the reasoning I used to get one after I discovered the hidden wonders of the VR4 specification.

And it was an unknown car which, until recent mass importing here into NZ, was a wonderful 'wolf in sheep's clothing', surprising anyone silly enough to try it on./pan

Now the bl**dy police know what they are capable of, and we are marked for special attention unfortunately. /Grrr

Oh well................ :pimp2:

/toycar

d i c k i e s
29-06-2007, 03:58 AM
it was an unknown car which, until recent mass importing here into NZ, was a wonderful 'wolf in sheep's clothing', surprising anyone silly enough to try it on./pan

Now the bl**dy police know what they are capable of, and we are marked for special attention unfortunately. /Grrr

/toycar

Agreed! ive been pulled up more in my old 1993 VR4 GALANT, than i have in my leggie... cops new it was twin turbo etc.. when they asked... is it a twin turbo? Yup.. VR4s are pretty quick cars? im like yeah?... but u managed to pull me over. /Grrr

Paul Beazer
29-06-2007, 07:23 AM
I still want one!!!

Beastlee
29-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Rep delivered for the very correct and informative review!
I keep getting ready to remove my adverts and the sale signs off the car for the very reasons above!

White Lightning
29-06-2007, 08:59 PM
/yes

Excellent post. As I have said before I did not fully appreciate just how good the VR-4 is until I took it to the 'Ring and Spa recently and put it through it's paces in the wet/damp conditions.

It is an awesome car ... :afro:

Brunty
29-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Nice post!

I took a shine to the VR4 based purely on looks, at the time I'd only ever driven low powered, basic cars - motorbikes were my thrill ride. So I never really had an appreciation of what 280 odd bhp would be like to drive, same for AWD, AYC etc.....etc.....

Just brilliant - the perfect combination? I certainly can't think of one car that can provide everything the VR4 can. It's amazing that a 7 year old car (10 year old design) is still right up there with some of the best cars on the roads.

It continues to be a better car than I am a driver - and I'm frequently surprised at what I discover the car can do (especially being able to get an American style fridge in the back of the estate!). Much like the article you quoted I reckon more recent cars would close that gap considerably without improving my driving skills.

The sad thing is that Mitubishi have decided not to continue to develop the Galant in this guise.

Funkstar
29-06-2007, 11:23 PM
^^ Agree with you entirely Brunty. I also went for the VR4 for the sheer terrifying front end looks, only to eventually appreciate what a hell of an all rounder it is. The comfort of a executive\luxury car, the looks of........nothing else, and the control of a pure breed race car; albeit the more modern, grown up family mans race car.

DefeXion
30-06-2007, 12:35 AM
I declare that VR4 should be official renamed from "subaru eater" to "everything else eater"

KHK
30-06-2007, 04:57 AM

Oh well................ :pimp2:

/toycar

really marked for special attention by police???

djwarden
30-06-2007, 05:33 AM
I declare that VR4 should be official renamed from "subaru eater" to "everything else eater"

Need I say more? :pimp2:

william
30-06-2007, 09:08 AM
I have been fortunate enough to have owned various sporty BMW's ( M3, 333i, 327iS (SA only model), 540i manual) and various warm Alfa's. I agree that nothing comes close when you look at "bang for bucks". I like the looks, it is a comfortable car, the Leggie doubles as a ute for removal and carting around of all sorts of household odd and ends, it goes like the clappers, is reliable, utterly affordable, tows my 2 ton boat no problem. What other car would do that? That is why I have my second one!

Xeroid
30-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Well, of course ....., we've known this all the time, it's quite obvious,... isn't it ?

We thought EVERYBODY knew ..... :speechles

Yeah, the model/theme should have continued ..
Maybe it has, sort of, Evo X looks distinctly Galant styled to me and one day they'll figure it out ...it needs a 2.5 litre V6 Twin Turb ...

Or we'll do a transplant ... :evil2:

KiwiTT
01-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Thanks for your comments guys. Most club members know what a good car the VR-4 is, but there are still some who don't. This is why I felt the need to prepare this article/post.

After getting the car back from the "crash", I reaffirmed why the VR-4 is such a good car.

Xeroid
01-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Now the bl**dy police know what they are capable of, and we are marked for special attention unfortunately.

Yep, for sure, every time we roll out either of them the Eagle Police chopper appears:-policema
Dunno how they know we are about to go for a blat but there they are ...waiting !!
Got them fooled now, we take them both out at once ...and they have got only one chopper /haz

True story from last week:
Wifes car had reached it's 3 year mechanical warranty end and she wanted to extend it for another two years.
So around comes the AA man to do a full check of EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb .
First comment " These are VERY safe cars !!"
Second Comment " This is a beautiful example of the model and in top condition"
Big TICK for another two year warranty.
So servicing every 5000 km is worth it, he found nothing wrong.

All we have to do is convince Jeremy Clarkson.

KiwiTT
01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Big TICK for another two year warranty.I got another 3 years.

I know why ... you'll be upgrading to the EVO X, ... Maybe/rally

Xeroid
02-07-2007, 03:27 AM
I got another 3 years.

I know why ... you'll be upgrading to the EVO X, ... Maybe/rally

Wot do you mean... maybe ? !!!!

Liz and I will sell our first born ......could be a while, I've had a nip and tuck.:pimp2:

KiwiTT
16-10-2007, 01:57 AM
I put together a little spreadsheet of mid-sized sports sedans. It shows that the VR-4 compares well with some illustrious company.

Prices are for cars currently on offer in NZ in 2007 from www.trademe.co.nz

Make and Model
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA (N/A)
Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 - NZ$82,990 (new)
Audi A4 3.2 Quattro - NZ$105,900 (new)
Audi RS2 (1994) - NZ$30,000 (used)
Audi S4 (1996) - NZ$31,995 (used)
Audi S4 (2006) - NZ$145,900 (new)
BMW 330i Sedan (2000) - NZ$23,500 (used)
BMW 330i Sedan (2007) - NZ$103,900 (new)
BMW 335i Sedan - NZ$111,900 (new)
BMW M5 (E28) 3.4 (1985) - NZ$34,000 (used)
BMW M5 (E34) 3.5 (1988) - NZ$23,990 (used)
BMW M5 (E34) 3.8 (1992) - (N/A)
Ford Mondeo 2.5T - NZ$17,990 (used)
Ford Sierra RS Cosworth 4x4 - NZ$15,000 (used)
Ford Mondeo ST220 (N/A)
Honda Accord Euro-R - NZ$12,500 (used)
Honda Accord Type-R - NZ$16,990 (used)
Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Sport - NZ$79,990 (new)
Lexus IS350 - $64,999 (used)
Mazda 6 MPS - NZ$59,950 (new)
Mercedes C32 AMG - NZ$55,000 (used)
Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Type-S - NZ$65,000(new) - NZ$10,000 (used)
Opel Vectra OPC (N/A)
Rover MG ZT260 - NZ$69,990 (used)
Saab 9-3 Aero XWD - NZ$84,000
Subaru Legacy B4 GT Spec B - NZ$22,900 (used)
Subaru Legacy B4 RSK - NZ$8,000 (used)
Volkswagen Passat 3.6 VR6 (N/A)
Volkswagen Passat W8 - NZ$25,990 (used)
Volvo S60R - NZ$34,990 (used)

valmes
20-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Great writeup!

valmes
20-10-2007, 06:51 AM
I put together a little spreadsheet of mid-sized sports sedans. It shows that the VR-4 compares well with some illustrious company.

Btw I think in this spreadsheet you just need to add column with a current price tag for all those models...

It would be hard to beat the VR-4 by features&hp per dollar/pound spent on it ;)

KiwiTT
20-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks Valmes. As you know, from my write-up I agree with you. I would be hard-pressed to find a replacement. The EVO-X maybe, but at NZ$60,000+, it is 5-7 times more expensive than a second-hand VR-4 now.

I'll probably spend another $10-$20,000 keeping the VR-4 on the road another 5-7 years, by which time it will still be great car.

KiwiTT
23-10-2007, 03:49 AM
Btw I think in this spreadsheet you just need to add column with a current price tag for all those models... Added new and used Prices

grimmrimmer
28-12-2007, 08:33 AM
i had an str legnum and thought it was good and all my friends agreed until recently i got a 2000 VR4 LEGNUM TYPE S and now non of my friends will come for a drive with me any more my farthers porsch looks and behaves like a lamb and my brothers rally edition pug is feeling disapointing

J7869
18-03-2008, 08:37 PM
the legnum vr4 is 'bad'.....am 22....was gonna buy an evo....or maybe n impreza...but value for money this is the dogs bollo*ks.....its got everything.....even a touchscreen(MMSC or wateva) which is like STILL more or less new in 2008.......n to say it aint as powerful as some of the newer cars like audi RS4's...(yeh the 400 bhp 1z).....ive got a mate that has 1 n around town i dont think he gets about 400bhp V8 4.2 LITRES worth infront of me when we go at it.....3-4....MAYBE 5 car gap?...haha........they all still feel threatned from that front end n the mysterious 'vr4' badge!!.....maybe going for a volvo t5 now......i like he vr4 twin turbo but heard alot about the t5's.....except the kinda grandad interiors....lol.....mines been written off from behind by a driver who was over the limit by about 3 times....n driving a land-rover discovery into me at about 55mph...while i was at red lights.....you would have thot the boot wood have disappeared but id say the thing was pretty damn strongly built as it needs a bumper bootlid n maybe jiggin out abit........great cars...n its cool that not many people really know how great.

pretoria monster
26-06-2008, 10:48 AM
guys, i need some help. According to my brother who drove the car at the time this happened, he was travelling at around 140kph and accidentally shifted into neutral. The revs went up to about 8000 and then the car started to smoke and misfire. There is now a lot of white smoke when you start the car but no weird engine noises. All the turbo hoses seems intact and i suspect that one of the turbos is gone. Any ideas?

bradc
26-06-2008, 10:55 AM
what country are you in? for a start this is the wrong place to ask it, but I'd suggest resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery and trying to drive it again

Fully
28-06-2008, 02:01 PM
^^ still going to get white smoke, Yes I would say it might be a blown turbo.

VR4DVL
23-08-2008, 12:12 PM
the legnum vr4 is 'bad'.....am 22....was gonna buy an evo....or maybe n impreza...but value for money this is the dogs bollo*ks.....its got everything.....even a touchscreen(MMSC or wateva) which is like STILL more or less new in 2008.......n to say it aint as powerful as some of the newer cars like audi RS4's...(yeh the 400 bhp 1z).....ive got a mate that has 1 n around town i dont think he gets about 400bhp V8 4.2 LITRES worth infront of me when we go at it.....3-4....MAYBE 5 car gap?...haha........they all still feel threatned from that front end n the mysterious 'vr4' badge!!.....maybe going for a volvo t5 now......i like he vr4 twin turbo but heard alot about the t5's.....except the kinda grandad interiors....lol.....mines been written off from behind by a driver who was over the limit by about 3 times....n driving a land-rover discovery into me at about 55mph...while i was at red lights.....you would have thot the boot wood have disappeared but id say the thing was pretty damn strongly built as it needs a bumper bootlid n maybe jiggin out abit........great cars...n its cool that not many people really know how great.

i rekon a VR4 on N20 (nitrous) tuned to about 245Kw-260KW should easily keep up with an Audi RS4 considering the RS4 makes somewhere around about 300KW? (correct me if i'm wrong) but other than that i agree the VR4 is the best value for money, it still keeps up with the later model V8's of today for example the 5.4 Litre XR8's and SS Commodores funnily enough the VR4's do struggle quiet alot to keep up with an XR6 Turbo but even still for a car that's rated at 206KW it's doing something right consider the tiny turbo's in it.

d i c k i e s
23-08-2008, 12:16 PM
hey aaron.... long time!!!

i like the fact our cars are 10+ years older than these newer cars and we can still keep up and do some damage if you know what i mean? even if our cars are stock.

Ryan
25-08-2008, 08:36 PM
I'd say white smoke would likely be a head gasket, rather than a blown turbo.

Louis
25-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Just watched a shoot out between the new VW estate, "the fastest production VW estate," does 0 - 62mph (100k) in 5.8 secs.
And the audi is so clever it has traction control, and a system that if you overcook it a bit on a corner, it will transfer power to where it thinks it needs it.
These are two brand new cars!, and the technology which is their main selling points, were on the VR4 10 years ago.
VR4's rule! (especialy Legnums lol)

sampsulo
24-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Hi Guys, I'm In Namibia...my boss back in Zambia has a leggie...had no idea what the hell it was until he started up the engine...boy did i want one....but only in sedan! but alas i have found one! if i win the bid! its mine...all mine! forget the GT Four i wanted!