PDA

View Full Version : gym goers?

pitslayer
29-06-2007, 01:01 AM
apparently theres a place called a "Gym" where people can go and "excersise???" anyone on here go to one of these "gyms". if so whats the score with them lol, im supposed to be going to one tomorow, what kind of attire etc, whats recomeneded to do. if anyone is into this kind of stuff
heres an idea on me, and what would you recomend
5`11, weigh about 7.5 stone (lol yes i do actually weigh that)
i smoke
i drink
i dont eat healthy, vast amounts of steak, fast food, sammidges etc
stairs are my second ultimate weakness, first being bullets.
i dont do anything physical, apart from get in car, drive to pub, get out car sit have a pint, then go home. usually
anyone got any ideas, i dont want to wake up saturday, going "meaaarrghh" feeling like ive been riding a horse whilst being done up the wrongun,(not that ive ever done that:inquisiti )
any ideas?

Kenneth
29-06-2007, 01:43 AM
7.5 stone is ~48Kg. I assume you are going to put on some weight?

Gyms have their place, but I think you need to be prepared for what is required to get the results you want to achieve.
I went to the gym for a while (about 6 months) and my experience was that the program I was given was good for what I wanted, however they didn't give any information on how I had to eat so that I could do the program properly.

Don't worry about your attire, its no biggie. shorts and t-shirt is sufficient. If you sweat a lot and are likely to leave sweat marks on the machines, then you should take a small towel as well.

If you are looking to put some weight on and would like to hear my experience in that area, holler :)

pitslayer
29-06-2007, 01:57 AM
i physically cant put any wieght on lol. ive tryed loads of things, but yeh id love to hear what you did, dont fancy going down the medicinal route with those pills you buy in the biggest tub in the world. prefer to do it naturally, and unfortunatly the steak and pizza pasties arent doing it

steak and pizza pastie, is one steak fried up, and then stuck in a pre cooked pizzaand folded over to make a pastie shape lol......mmmmm culd do with one of htem right now

Kenneth
29-06-2007, 02:54 AM
I had the same problem.

A problem is that any weight you are going to put on is going to have to first go through your mouth (:inquisiti )

The way to do this is to eat lots. The gym is good in ensuring that the weight will stay on as muscle, though it does take a bit longer.

There are 2 food groups that you need to account for
Carbohydrates & Proteins. Often you will hear people telling you that you should have a lot of protein if you want to build muscle. This may or may not be true, however you might as well try it.
The big thing is to make sure you have plenty of carbohydrates too (this was my mistake... I didn't have enough carbs) as this is the fuel your body runs on.

Carbohydrates so that your body operates at peak performance and Proteins for building muscle.

"Protein shakes" are one way to get protein, but apparently milk powder is just as good (but cheaper). This is good for before and after the gym.
Steak is good too, so you don't have to skimp on that.

What I would recommend though is that you eat your carbs and protein separately. Its a pain in the backside, but because they are different food types you will digest them better separately (less work means more can get converted to weight)

You will need to eat regularly too. At least 3 full meals a day plus snacks and any protein foods. Having set meal times will help considerably if you do not already.

There is no quick and easy way to put on weight if your body is not naturally inclined to do so. If you are serious about it, you may want to quit smoking. This should at least help pay for the extra food you will consume.

pitslayer
29-06-2007, 03:08 AM
skimp on steak lol, i could never skimp on steak.
so lots of carbs then, what would you personally recomend on eating. i go for the
it tastes good, screw whats in it im hungry
obviously potatoes, and crisps, and chips. im not a massive crisp eater. i eat a relativly balanced diet, ill always have salad with sammidges(unless its a steak sammidge)

i see what your saying with set meals aswell, it could work, if i wasnt so crap at time keeping lol, always running late for something. i suppose if i took food with me, on the go like 3 meals i could do that.

id love to put on wieght ive been 48kg since i was 13 lol, i physically can not put on wieght, i mean i used to be big into my bike riding, and weight never changed, i used to do at least at least 8 miles a day on my bike and 20 miles on a saturday.

Kenneth
29-06-2007, 03:19 AM
It sounds to me like most of the issue is with your lifestyle.

you MUST eat regular meals if you want to put on weight. I put on 10kg just by doing this.
I was always fairly light, though not quite as light as you are. I would have sworn I couldn't put on weight either, but a simple lifestyle change proved that I was wrong.

I used to eat quite a lot in the morning and during the day, then not so much at dinner because I was either busy, not hungry or just feeling lazy. Eating a decent sized dinner every night has made a huge difference.

If you want lots of carbs, also think pasta. There is lots of pasta around now with stuff you can buy from the supermarket that you only need to put in boiling water for a couple of minutes.

pitslayer
29-06-2007, 03:30 AM
not a massive fan of pasta, not something i would eat out of choice. but ill give it a go, might go cook some now, and make up a sauce. and i get to throw food at a wall aswell lol
yeh my lifestyle althought pretty orsum, is not the best way to live i know. i do need to change it quite a bit, smoking is something i do need to give up, my mate gave up smoking and put loads of weight on since....but then again he does drink a lot of lager lol

Joanne
29-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Rice and bread are also carbs - but best to stick with the brown stuff. Oats for breakfast are all good too :)

pitslayer
29-06-2007, 04:14 AM
see is this one of my downfalls. i dont like pasta that much, and i dont like rice.
im a mexican man myself, but i can imagine that has very little in the way of carbs. i got some pasta now, the cheese gets rid of the taste from the sauce and the pasta, which has no taste anyway lol. the main reasons i dont eat pasta, i find the sauces to tomatoey which means ive got to make my own sauce, and that takes time. i would eat those little pasta thingeys you buy in shops, but they all look disgusting, im not a fussy eater, but if i dont like the look of something i wont eat it. im wierd like that
so it makes things easier
foods pitslayer dislikes
pasta
rice
porridge
fish-except tuna, when mixed with mayonaise it can be a vital ingredient in a tasty sammidge.
blancmange-wtf is that stuff its just like bad jelly, no one likes bad jelly.
everything else ill eat
oh and lamb, as lambs dirty stringy meat

god im so awkward /pan myself lol

MGV6
29-06-2007, 07:03 AM
i physically cant put any wieght on lol. ive tryed loads of things, but yeh id love to hear what you did, dont fancy going down the medicinal route with those pills you buy in the biggest tub in the world. prefer to do it naturally, and unfortunatly the steak and pizza pasties arent doing it

steak and pizza pastie, is one steak fried up, and then stuck in a pre cooked pizzaand folded over to make a pastie shape lol......mmmmm culd do with one of htem right now

Sounds like you fall into the classic "ectomorph" category. My first advice would be to start reading this http://musclegaintips.com/

Lillywotsername
29-06-2007, 09:38 AM
I wish I had your problem..... gaining weight is what I do best. ;)

Anyway... have you been recommended to go by your doctor or is it something you are doing on your own?

The best thing I would suggest is speaking to someone at the gym that actually knows what they are talking about. Most decent gyms will have somebody available to sort out programs and can advise you on diet ect to help you gain weight. Don't try and go in blind as you can do more harm than good.

TAR
29-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Going back to your first post - going to the gym will make you feel sh*t the first few times /haz

Seriously though, if the gym is any good, they will take you through an induction (partly for health & safety) to make sure you know how to use the equipment. They should also assess your fitness level and come up with a program to assist you in your desire to gain weight as muscle.

Remember that exercise will burn off calories and fat, so if you don't have those in abundance (like us old gits) you may see a drop in your weight before you see a build up in muscle!!

WildCards
29-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Blimey, and to think you've got half a stone of hair on your noggin aswell! 7.5 stone you featherweight, i'm almost double the man you are :p

That said, I was like you until I started doing weights, I ran everyday and lifted weights at home every evening. My protein & carb consumption went through the roof and while I maintained the excersize it wasn't a problem, once I stopped though all my hard work went to fat. Hence, the FB I am now.

Take it in small steps, eat more fish than meat, plenty of rice and pasta, less bread and build muscle for stamina not strength (More reps, lower weight/resistance).

Crickle
29-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I'd say first thing to look at is your heart rate. If you eat all that junk, have no carbs to burn and smoke, you're gonna sick, dizzy and chest pain after about 15 mins on any machine. Make sure you breathe too!

I only know cos I used to smoke, be a size 18 weighing 13+ stone eating vienetta and pizza every night. Took a year at the gym to get down to 9st 13lb and completely fat free. Not that size now obviously thank god, i looked like an Ethiopian at 5 ft 9..

Make sure you eat protein after you work out too, feeds the muscle or he muscle will eat its self.
Also low weights high reps for toning
High weights lower reps for muscle building

Don't work out until an hour after you have eaten and have a quick cardio warm up to get yourself ready for the PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it burns, its good, if it makes you high, its good! If you feel like you are gonna poop your pants then stop. Could be a prolapse!

Please for gods sake do not google that image, i just did!

Wodjno
29-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Your only 19 years of age Dude..

Don't worry to much about weight and all that.. Just eat healthy and get a decent Aerobic and An-Aerobic Routine set up. For a starters it sounds like you just need some Aerobic activity to ensure your body is fit and supple.. Then once your body is nice and healthy you can start hitting the heavy weights.. Heavy weights is the only weigh you will gain bulk of Muscle. On every apparatus you use, you want to find the Maximum 1 Rep weight that is possible for you. Then drop down to 1/3 of that weight and start doing 3 sets of 12(30 secs between each set) 3 times a week (Mon, Weds, Fri). After each week passes increase the weight a small amount. You want to be aiming to get to your Max 1 rep weight by week 8.. Also by week 8 you need to have reduced your reps down to 6-8. you will find that by week 8, your once Max 1 rep weight will now be easily repped 6-8 times. You will now be at the point of pushing past this and start to build bulk. The most important thing is not to push to far to soon..... Most people who do this either Injure themselves badly or quit... I know this cos i've done both many times..

If you get to 8 weeks following the above, your a better man than me..

And you'll also be on the way to achieving what you set out to achieve..

But going back to my 1st statement.. Your only 19.. In 10 years time you will probably be trying to lose weight as your metabolism slows down and all you eat just go's straight to where you don't want it to go..

Good luck :scholar:

PS... 1 of the most overlooked things when trying to build muscle bulk is stretching.. Stretch your muscles before every weights session and you will definitely get bigger gains faster and more safely with less risk of injury./yes

Wodjno
29-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Please for gods sake do not google that image, i just did!

Which image ?? Poop your pants :speechles

EDIT: Oh Ohh!! :speechles It was Prolapse wasn't it /Fever :sick2: :sick: :undecided :embarasse :uhoh2: :toilet: :o :uhoh: :vulcan: :lipsrseal /dunce :shocked: :anxious: /JawDroppi :thumbsdow :stars:

orionn2o
29-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I was just going to ask the age question...

If you're 19, give it 6 years! By the time you're 25, you'll wish that the weight would stay off!

Although you should still look after yourself a bit more.. for the lifestyle you appear to lead, you are a classic mid 50's heart attack patient...

Crickle
29-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I was just going to ask the age question...

If you're 19, give it 6 years! By the time you're 25, you'll wish that the weight would stay off!

Although you should still look after yourself a bit more.. for the lifestyle you appear to lead, you are a classic mid 50's heart attack patient...

Its true, someone I love dearly will die from the very same thing younger than his years if he doesnt buck up!!! My apologies to all you drinkers and smokers out there but they are the two main things that will kill you off quicker!

Remember one more thing tho, when you start building muscle, you need to stick at it for life pretty much cos when you stop, it seems to all turn to fat and loose skin... yuck!
:speechles

Brunty
29-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I've sent you a PM - hope it's of interest.

If you ask gym type questions you'll get loads of suggestions some of it might even be appropriate/useful. The theory is simple it's the practise that gets confusing.

Calories in (Steak wrapped in pizza) > Calories out (driving to the pub) = WEIGHT GAIN

This is FACT. Consult an expert not a car forum!

pitslayer
29-06-2007, 03:32 PM
brunty, cheers for the pm, it was really appreciated given you some rep aswell for it, really helpfull .

crickle, drink and fags are like class a drugs, but they wont ban them, because the government makes so much revenue of them. alcohol is as dangerous, if not more than crack or heroin. same with smoking as smoking is so addictive.

and ive had a thought aswell.....what is a person who goes to a gym called?
gym goer? sounds a bit wierd "oh your a gym goer aswell areyou " "im who now???"
gymmer?
gym davidsons?
gym beam?
any insight on to that one lol

Brunty
29-06-2007, 03:44 PM

This particular gym goer is called a "fat bastard".

WildCards
29-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Fit... usually.

Crickle
29-06-2007, 03:46 PM
/pan /haz

Lillywotsername
29-06-2007, 09:36 PM
:iloveyou: Steve.... you and me both Darling.

ingocaius
29-06-2007, 11:22 PM
ive been training for about 19 years i weighed 11.5 stone when i started got seriously into it got to 18 stone and was going to compete in bodybuilding but wrecked my knee heavy lifting .
still train and am about 17 stone lol.
gaining muscle is 33% training 33% eating and33% rest its bloody hard work which is why so many people give up but if i could do it anyone can.