PDA

View Full Version : Galant 2.5 V6 using oil

(mick)
29-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi,

Any of you guys out there found the Galant V6 to use a bit of oil and need topping up now and then. Is this normal??

Cheers,

Mick

Nick Mann
29-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Yep! Mine would go from max to min in 9000 miles. Sometimes a bit more. A top up between services was not uncommon! The VR4 is even worse!!

Paul Beazer
29-06-2007, 01:56 PM
They do use a bit, mine needs a 1/4pt every couple of months or so. How much is yours using?

Paul Beazer
29-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Yep! Mine would go from max to min in 9000 miles. Sometimes a bit more. A top up between services was not uncommon! The VR4 is even worse!!
You talking about my one now?

Nick Mann
29-06-2007, 02:05 PM
You talking about my one now?

I know yours used a bit because of the M40 experience ten minutes into your ownership!!! /pan /duh

But no - I didn't have yours for long - I had my first one nearly three years.

I-S
29-06-2007, 02:32 PM
My GLS never used any oil... My parent's 6G72 3.0 shogun does use a bit, and my GDI remains to be seen.

(mick)
29-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys-seems from posts so far a bit of oil usage is normal on the V6.

bradc
29-06-2007, 09:52 PM
My VR-4's have never used a drop, always right up at the max mark. My gdi did though. The simple rule is that some engines will use a little bit of oil, and others won't. As long as you don't need to fill up the oil every week then you don't have much to worry about :)

Paul Beazer
02-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I know yours used a bit because of the M40 experience ten minutes into your ownership!!! /pan /duh

But no - I didn't have yours for long - I had my first one nearly three years.

I was worried when that happened, but then you hadnt checked it had you, you slacker!??!

Still its not using much, just a little top up every other month, i can live with that!

Hilly
04-07-2007, 12:18 PM
No other Japanese car i've had has ever used much oil so i was suprised and a little worried the other week on the way back from seeing Muse at Wembley (had to get that in) when the warning light came on, slowed down from the 110 i was doing and went into the next services and topped it up.

Glad to see it's not unusual, just need to keep an eye on it.

:speechles

Rambaud
04-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I topped my GDI with .5 of a litre a week ago - probably only the first one from the last service about 10,000 miles ago.

But the oil light flickered on for a second on Monday, so I decided to check the oil when I returned. When I did, oil was all over the engine bay! :(

And a belt had started to squeal even when turning at low speed (power steering belt?).

The oil filler cap was missing! I could have sworn I had put it back on correctly, but obviously not.

Car has been in the local Mitsi garage for the past 3 days - bill is already £700 and rising! :(

I-S
04-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Rambaud - from what I've seen so far from my GDI and things I've read elsewhere is that changing the oil on the GDI more often than that is strongly recommended as it picks up large amounts of carbon out of the engine.

Rambaud
04-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Rambaud - from what I've seen so far from my GDI and things I've read elsewhere is that changing the oil on the GDI more often than that is strongly recommended as it picks up large amounts of carbon out of the engine.

Isaac,

Yes, I have been reading the same thing.

I have only done 3500 miles since I bought it, so I decided to leave the oil change to its service & MOT, which is also being done today (while on holiday in Scotland) - which is also partly responsible for the big bill coming.

I shall probably get WRD to do another oil change when I get the auto gearbox fluid changed.

I-S
04-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Fair enough - mine was at about 10k from last change when I bought it, and it didn't look pleasant. Got it home and oil changed within the hour. New oil turned black straight away, so that's coming out soon, hopefully that will carry out quite a bit of the muck...

Rambaud
04-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Yes, the oil is looking very dark. I shall be interested to see how long it takes to change back to a filthy colour after today's service.

psbarham
04-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi,

Any of you guys out there found the Galant V6 to use a bit of oil and need topping up now and then. Is this normal??

Cheers,

Mick

about 1/4 of a litre in 5000 miles of short (nowhere near full temp) journeys , which after 145000 odd miles i can sort of forgive it