PDA

View Full Version : And you thought galant headlamps were a pain...

I-S
29-06-2007, 02:28 PM
At lunchtime I attempted to help a guy at work change the dip beam bulbs in his Avensis, because the headlamps were really really dim.

First off, getting to the back of the galant headlamps is easy by comparison. Loads of room!

Then trying to get the bulb out, the support broke off the reflector! /Grrr

Ooops. Now got to glue it back together to put the bulb in. Damn crappy toyota build quality...

I-S
02-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Turns out that it's an acknowledged design flaw, and Toyota are replacing them with metal ones.

pezza
02-07-2007, 04:20 PM
You would think that this is a routine job that should be made easy for most car owners .. and so why are these jobs so fiddly? I don't get it :thinking:

I am now ok with the headlamps on Galant, but the sidelights? :speechles *Esp without removing headlamp bulbs first*

Throbbe
02-07-2007, 04:39 PM
You would think that this is a routine job that should be made easy for most car owners .. and so why are these jobs so fiddly? I don't get it :thinking:

So people take it to the dealer to get it done.

I-S
02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
I can do all 4 headlamp bulbs in 10 mins - sidelights are a pain though like you say.

On the renault laguna you have to remove the front bumper in order to change a headlamp bulb! When asked about this, renault's response was along the lines of "This car was designed to get a 5* NCAP crash rating. Not for maintenance"... I find this mind boggling as surely a duff headlamp bulb is a serious safety issue? And what about those countries where it's a legal requirement to carry a spare set of bulbs and change a bulb by the roadside if you have one go?

In the scheme of things, the galant is actually not so bad!

pezza
02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
So people take it to the dealer to get it done.

Or better still, have halfrauds charge 4.99 fitting service per bulb /yes

pezza
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I can do all 4 headlamp bulbs in 10 mins - sidelights are a pain though like you say.

On the renault laguna you have to remove the front bumper in order to change a headlamp bulb! When asked about this, renault's response was along the lines of "This car was designed to get a 5* NCAP crash rating. Not for maintenance"... I find this mind boggling as surely a duff headlamp bulb is a serious safety issue? And what about those countries where it's a legal requirement to carry a spare set of bulbs and change a bulb by the roadside if you have one go?

You can just see it, calling the AA to help remove bumper in order change bulb!! /pan

I-S
23-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, the story came to an end yesterday - the toyota failed MOT due to light output (or lack thereof) from the headlamps. It went to toyota who carried out the recall work (two brand new headlamps) and passed. The new units are supposed to be better sealed and metal bulb holders so that should be that...

Paul Beazer
23-08-2007, 12:50 PM
I know mondeo mk 2s you have to remove the headlamps too. At the time i found it rather surprising, but these days nothing surprises me.

ianturbo
14-09-2007, 10:48 PM
You can just see it, calling the AA to help remove bumper in order change bulb!! /pan
toyota yaris are the same , bumper off for a bulb /Grrr