PDA

View Full Version : 9G Galant - Further news

KiwiTT
21-12-2003, 08:47 PM
We all now know that this car is coming. However we are unsure as to it's market positioning.

In NZ and Australia, we have a Diamante (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.nz/diamante_sedan.html) INSERT INTO post VALUES (also called Verada and Magna is Australia). I have just read in the Australian Wheels magazine that this model is going to be replaced by the American 9G Galant in the 2005 model year.

This seems entirely possible as the current car has a 3.5 litre motor and the new 9G Galant has a 3.8 litre one. This would then be an upgrade of the existing Diamante range. Note also the similar frontend the existing model has to the one coming.

There you have it ...

Nick Mann
21-12-2003, 08:52 PM
If the 9g is bigger, would that leave a gap in the market between the Charisma and the Galant?

KiwiTT
21-12-2003, 08:55 PM
The 9G Galant is 2.4 Litre to 3.8 Litre
The Lancer is now 2.0 Litre

The Charisma INSERT INTO post VALUES (built at a Ford plant "Volvo" Holland) and the existing 8G Galant will be squeezed out of production.

Kieran
21-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Blerk!:sick: I'm tempted to go down to Mitsubishi's UK HQ in Cirencester and stage a protest if they bring that fowl looking heap of scrap over here!!! :veryangry :end: :io: :furious3: :gun1:

KiwiTT
21-12-2003, 09:09 PM
I don't think they will release it in the UK. The market for a big Mitsubishi is not there.

Only America and Australia are keen on big cars, where it should sell well.

Kieran
21-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I agree. Lucky us! We'll probably get the Lancer INSERT INTO post VALUES (which looks just as bad!)...

-LegnumVR4-
22-12-2003, 07:01 AM
We all now know that this car is coming. However we are unsure as to it's market positioning.

In NZ and Australia, we have a Diamante (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.nz/diamante_sedan.html) INSERT INTO post VALUES (also called Verada and Magna is Australia). I have just read in the Australian Wheels magazine that this model is going to be replaced by the American 9G Galant in the 2005 model year.

This seems entirely possible as the current car has a 3.5 litre motor and the new 9G Galant has a 3.8 litre one. This would then be an upgrade of the existing Diamante range. Note also the similar frontend the existing model has to the one coming.

There you have it ...

As fair as I've read the new Diamante/Manga is being designed in Ozzy. There is the all-new Diamante/Manga code name INSERT INTO post VALUES (PS41) and then there is the Mitsubishi big sedan INSERT INTO post VALUES (PS1). They are meant to be released in 2005.

KiwiTT
22-12-2003, 08:56 PM
There is a PS41 and a PS41L Long wheelbase model according to the Wheels article

I believe it will be a modified version of the Galant; similar to the Commodore based on the Omega.

zedy1
23-12-2003, 12:26 AM
I don't think they will release it in the UK. The market for a big Mitsubishi is not there.

Only America and Australia are keen on big cars, where it should sell well.
thats cus you guys get cheap fuel and labour

KiwiTT
23-12-2003, 12:30 AM
Zedy1: You are probably right.

However, big non-prestige cars do not sell well in Europe. e.g. Peugeot 60x, Omega/Carlton, Scorpio/Granada. And I think the 9G Galant would fit in that category.