PDA

View Full Version : STR tip to manual

DefeXion
29-06-2007, 11:15 PM
What parts will I need to convert a tiptronic legnum to a manual legnum? I have been kindly informed about the whereabouts of a manual legnum str by bradc, and want to know what parts I should be asking for quotes on. Thanks.

bradc
29-06-2007, 11:19 PM
you will need the gearbox, clutch, clutch master and slave cylinders, the shifter, linkages, and other various small brackets and lines.

I last saw that STR about a month ago and it had all of that, although by now someone might have taken off with some of it.

DefeXion
29-06-2007, 11:22 PM
I will go check it out. Takanini you say?

bradc
29-06-2007, 11:32 PM
yep, just off the motorway there. It is a white one.

andrew38
03-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Sorry but this may be a daft question but why would you want to change a Porsche derived 5 speed tiptronic gearbox to a 5 speed stick shift? For the hassle, grief and cost I dont see it.

DefeXion
04-07-2007, 03:09 AM
str is 4 speed and the gearshifting isn't that clean any more. I tap up a gear and it revs its nuts off before locking into the next gear. I've had the whole box rebuilt before after I blew it up and it was better for a while, but it slowly got worse again.

the 97's were touchy gearboxes. the 98 and upwards were indestructible.

bradc
04-07-2007, 04:41 AM
and because porsche derived doesn't actually mean it is going to work :)

andrew38
04-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Fair enough didn't know the 4 speeds were problematical, I have often wondered why Mitsy had two boxes a 4 and 5 speed. Good luck with the conversion.

DefeXion
04-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Fair enough didn't know the 4 speeds were problematical, I have often wondered why Mitsy had two boxes a 4 and 5 speed. Good luck with the conversion.

Thanks :D. I hope I have good luck finding the parts first aswell. :bananadan

Oggie
15-07-2007, 06:32 AM
str is 4 speed and the gearshifting isn't that clean any more. I tap up a gear and it revs its nuts off before locking into the next gear. I've had the whole box rebuilt before after I blew it up and it was better for a while, but it slowly got worse again.

the 97's were touchy gearboxes. the 98 and upwards were indestructible.

I so didnt need to read this thread lol

I been told my gearboz/tiptronic is slugish to change down. but i use the tip gear change so i never notice it.

also I find thet when I change into top gear I find its a more of a sudden jolt when it changes. but after ten mins of highway driving its smoother than pam andersons ass.

Subaru ETA
15-07-2007, 07:28 AM
give her a trans flush wit the proper oil and see how that works oggie

Oggie
15-07-2007, 11:12 AM
give her a trans flush wit the proper oil and see how that works oggie

yeah easier said than done.... question is. how?

I never done auto boxes b4. only manual. and help would be grand.

DefeXion
15-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I so didnt need to read this thread lol

Haha, yeah sorry. I'm kind of honest.

I been told my gearboz/tiptronic is slugish to change down. but i use the tip gear change so i never notice it.

Like you, I'm always on tip aswell, so I can't say I have noticed any problems in changes downs. I find the change down is very good actually. I usually tap down then blip the throttle a bit to make it smoother (and more manual sounding :happy: )

I could imagine it being slugish when in D though. You're pretty much driving on the brakes in D.

also I find thet when I change into top gear I find its a more of a sudden jolt when it changes. but after ten mins of highway driving its smoother than pam andersons ass.

I find that aswell. I figure it's because I do alot more hard changing in the low gears so they wear out quicker (esp. 1st to second). I rarely do 7000RPM from 3rd into 4th because 7000rpm in 3rd = speedlimiter.

Oggie
15-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Haha, yeah sorry. I'm kind of honest.

Like you, I'm always on tip aswell, so I can't say I have noticed any problems in changes downs. I find the change down is very good actually. I usually tap down then blip the throttle a bit to make it smoother (and more manual sounding :happy: )

I could imagine it being slugish when in D though. You're pretty much driving on the brakes in D.

I find that aswell. I figure it's because I do alot more hard changing in the low gears so they wear out quicker (esp. 1st to second). I rarely do 7000RPM from 3rd into 4th because 7000rpm in 3rd = speedlimiter.

ERK!

I try to baby my car in a lot of ways. but i do enjoy a good blasting of the webs out of the pipes. only time i get my revs that high is if i am in a hurry which aint that often. lucky if mine reach 5k usually about 4k rpm.