PDA

View Full Version : Pop Splutter Bang whoosh...

BraindG
01-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Had a weird one on the way home, did a wee search but maybe not search for right thing.

I joined motorway earlier and I floored it, which gave a bit of wheel spin but then Bang, Pop.. splutter and loss of power (as in bhp)... I let go of the old make it go faster pedal, at which point it was like nothing happened - the pop was like when the inlet pipe pops off under boost - that loud pop of pressure being released.

I took it canny after that, but I started putting more power down as i got closer to home just to test it out and it seemed fine :inquisiti.

Anything spring to mind? I do need a full service belts/oils all round

bradc
01-07-2007, 12:22 AM
it wasn't fuel cut due to high boost?

BraindG
01-07-2007, 12:29 AM
doubt it, ive never had fuel cut before - but, now i type this i remember something.

My boost controller bleeped at me earlier (separate situation), you know the warning bleep which Ive set at 1.2 bar - but i was on the 1.0 setting which is very unusual :speechles

Also, i noticed earlier for the first time.. . hmm.. maybe linked actually- but both dials on the boost controller are flashing you know on the hks evc5 ? its got a control box with two dials for boost levels - normally if i have the evc set to setting A only the left dial is lit, as if to say im active - yet.. with evc on setting a, both are currently flashing :inquisiti.

right, this needs some investigation - anyone know why both dials would be flashing?

ill go check pipes and stuff in the morning.

bradc
01-07-2007, 12:35 AM
maybe it was something to do with running at 1.0 bar, then you spun the wheels, so it spiked or something?

djwarden
01-07-2007, 02:14 AM
maybe it was something to do with running at 1.0 bar, then you spun the wheels, so it spiked or something?

Not the most knowledgable on turbos but after a lengthy google it does seem that to be a good explanation.

(Yes i do google most questions on here so i can learn something) :thinking:

White Lightning
01-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Barry - Mitsy (our little kitten) loves your avatar ... she has just been sitting looking at the screen on my laptop fascinated by it ...

Not helpful to your problem ... just thought I'd mention it ... /haz

BraindG
01-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Not the most knowledgable on turbos but after a lengthy google it does seem that to be a good explanation.

(Yes i do google most questions on here so i can learn something) :thinking:
Tis indeed very possible - i was sliding sideways then I planted more power down to get moving in a more forwards manner. Does the evc just kill all power if it hits the warning level? i thought it just bleeped at you and you had to pay attention and ease off?

Oh, just checked all the pipe work and electrics, it all seems fine to me.

Barry - Mitsy (our little kitten) loves your avatar ... she has just been sitting looking at the screen on my laptop fascinated by it ...
Heh, my work here is done :scholar:

Nutter_John
01-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Sounds like you hit fuel cut , it does feel like when the elbow comes off

rayray24
02-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Yep i'll go with fuel cut!! Had this happen a few days ago (running the same 0.98 bar) and by the sounds of what you said and the fact that 1 bar is 2 times what the car came with, i would say you have found your answer.

BraindG
02-07-2007, 09:29 AM
its just odd though, i have never in my life sufferef from fuel cut, so i dont understand, unless it was the wheels spinning that caused it..

if its not that, then im thinking i have a problem cos, well... why would i never have an issue with it, and then all of a sudden it starts?

rayray24
02-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Maybe the turbos were having a good day and were pushing out a little more psi than normal?Colder day? Car was going downhill? I don't think the wheels spining would of helped thou!!

Nutter_John
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Fuel cut is not based on boost but load index , if the car went into a cell in the ECU that it doesn't like it will cut for safety

Load index is a combination of lots of things so it is very hard to define at which point it will hit

mpau009
02-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Having hit fuel cut a good dozen times, setting up a couple of boost controllers, as well as blowing the intake pipe off 3 (very annoying) times, i can say they are definately different experiences.:5shots:

Fuel Cut: Short sharp cut, like hitting something, will chuck you forward in the seatbelt if you are accelerating at the time, and how hard you hit it.

Intake Pipe: BANG Splutter splutter stall... Check undies, turn key while coasting to a stop.. see clouds of black smoke. Blood drains from face.. Plug back in, turn key, all is good again..:scholar:

Sounds like you hit fuel cut for whatever reason, quite often id get it if i floored it, and changed quickly from 3rd to 4th my boost would spike over 1 bar

Wodjno
02-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Intake Pipe: BANG Splutter splutter stall... Check undies, turn key while coasting to a stop.. see clouds of black smoke. Blood drains from face.. Plug back in, turn key, all is good again..:scholar:

Get yourself a Nice piece of Quality Oak :scholar:

BraindG
02-07-2007, 12:54 PM
or a ratchet strap :scholar:

Eurospec
02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Fuel cut i would say is a definate posibility, or a poss a boost spike if the rpms suddenly increased on load, and that caused fuel cut.

Could also be the end of the clutch, but i think thats more unlikely.

Cheers,

Ben.

BraindG
02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Could also be the end of the clutch, but i think thats more unlikely.

hmmm, wouldn't say never there ben.. i glazed my clutch, and at the 5000 mile stage i removed clutch for a review - here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13836). it already looked half worn away and that was over a year ago! - p.s. im ordering one (same) next week.

so, when you said possibly clutch, would it do the same thing as what i described above?

mpau009
03-07-2007, 06:08 AM

/haz Yeah i should, another thing i didnt think of was when i put the IAT sensor from the MAP2 on, i put it in that elbow and ran the cable all nicely back into the car... So when the elbow blew off, it ripped the wires out of the sensor/pan

Still hopefully i'll be rid of all those pipes by the end of the year./rally

Eurospec
03-07-2007, 10:57 AM
hmmm, wouldn't say never there ben.. i glazed my clutch, and at the 5000 mile stage i removed clutch for a review - here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13836). it already looked half worn away and that was over a year ago! - p.s. im ordering one (same) next week.

so, when you said possibly clutch, would it do the same thing as what i described above?

Well, possibly........

So you drive along and boot it. The wheels spin. That is a huge load on the clutch to spin all 4. Did it snake about as it span them? I'm thinking, did it try and spin them but the clutch let go, just letting the revs ride right up?

What certainly does happen when a clutch or other drive train thing, such as a transfer box or similar, goes when you are on the move under load is you will certainly get a big shunt and a bang as all the lash comes back out of the drive train. Typically its like vrooooombangaaah. You feel it as well as hear it.

Sometimes, if its a clutch, if you leave it to cool down (ie dont slip it) it will come back to life a bit. Rag on it hard and it will let go again, but often they will stand a bit of right foot.

If it is the clutch or drive train, it will be easilly replicated by trying again. If it does it twice, then stop before something gets really broken.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ben.

BraindG
07-07-2007, 10:06 PM
K, bit of an update - it happened again today! -

earlier on today i was fiddling with boost controller and as such i reset the last max boost indicator (it can hold in memory the last highest peak) So I cleared that and switched the controller off

Within minutes of setting off "beeep beeeep beeep" /Grrr with a sharp jolt of the car. :inquisiti

now, the boost was off, so the boost should be at default, yet it peaked at 1.01 ( ive got 1 set as setting A's warning level) :speechles , like wtf..

Any ideas on what could be causing it to boost way over what it should be?

Nothings been changed, ive not added bits, removed bits - all has been fine for over a year.

Nutter_John
07-07-2007, 10:23 PM
one word answers the question

WOUTER ~~~~~~ think about it :D

BraindG
07-07-2007, 10:29 PM
one word answers the question

WOUTER ~~~~~~ think about it :D
:afro: WOUTER!!!!!.... What did you do?! :p

ill go double check under the bonnet tomorrow, cheers John :iloveyou:

BraindG
07-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Nothings been changed, ive not added bits, removed bits - all has been fine for over a year.
For those who are wondering why wouters been mentioned :D cast your mind back to Japfest.