PDA

View Full Version : Hooray!!!

bernmc
01-07-2007, 07:59 AM
NO more smoking in public places! Wot a great day!

:thumbsup:/GJ/bounce:thumbsup:

/Hissy(SGHOM)

Lillywotsername
01-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Its going to make my life a bit easier now.... i know I can go to a pub without having to be sat there craving a cigarette cos everyone else is smoking around me.

Crickle
01-07-2007, 09:58 AM
My poor freind was on the phone to me last night saying " Oh its not fair, i can't smoke anywhere, my life is over. bla bla bla bla bla!!!"
I think its the best thing the government could have done! Its one the things I totally agree with. /woot2

I've had 8 months of no social life cos pubs were far too much of a temptation with the smoke! Now I can go out and not be tempted! yay! Its been a tough cold turkey year!! /pan

BRING IT ON!!!! Who's coming pub? Playing pool again yay!! :smug::smug::smug:

Ooh even better, no grey faced stinky yellow toothed smoker next to my dinner tables anymore "Do you mind if I eat whilst you smoke you unhealthy poisenous freak"!!/grr

Sorry Barry and Gowf, i know you guys smoke. No offence! Just something I feel strongly about! /nag/nag/nag/nag/nag/nag/nag/nag/nag/nag/nag/nag

Nutter_John
01-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Gowf doesn't smoke

Crickle
01-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm sure I saw him smoking!

Nutter_John
01-07-2007, 10:02 AM
that was the achool vapour :D

I'm sure he was a none smoker , ah well maybe the amount of beer he drank pickled his mind slightly

Guess your one of these ex smokers who hate smokers :p

steve190
01-07-2007, 10:04 AM
We've had this law in Scotland for a year now, as far as I know no one has died because they cannot smoke in a public place. They might get hypothermia standing outside a pub smoking though. :)

Crickle
01-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't hate them I just find the smell makes me sick and fills me with rage because I don't want it in my face! But when I'm drunk its like waving a blue steak in front of my face! I just want them, all of them, could eat the box too. Its tough!

Lillywotsername
01-07-2007, 10:22 AM
I think Garath does smoke..... or is he just like Ben?????? Only smokes when on the ale????

Kieran
01-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Yep - A good move that should help many to kick the habit, and improve things for non-smokers too. How nice it will be to wander into a pub with no smoke in there.:iloveyou:

ritch_w
01-07-2007, 10:25 AM
we've had it up here for a couple of years now, its great going for a pint or a meal and not coming home smelling like an ashtray.

i'm on holiday in england next week and think its a good thing, i'm looking forward to not stinking of fags after taking the family out for a meal!

Xeroid
01-07-2007, 10:31 AM
NZ has had it now for about 3 years I think, bloody magic. No smell on your clothes, no blue fug in a room.
Quite weird now, we've got a few diehards at work and the door was open to the deck outside where their little shelter is and a whiff blew in. Very acrid now, haven't smelt it for so long.
Doesn't seem to have stopped some people though, they'd rather die from hypothermia than pack it in.

SGHOM
01-07-2007, 10:35 AM
/Hissy(SGHOM)
It's ok Bern.... I've stopped.

Crickle
01-07-2007, 10:40 AM

Well done Fred! Keep up the good work !!

Lillywotsername
01-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Woohoo.... WTG Darling.

White Lightning
01-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Couldn't agree more an excellent move by the Government this one /yes

I just wish the ban covered private clubs (which it does not) as I will still have to suffer the smoke when playing my snooker matches every Monday night ... /Grrr

steve190
01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Couldn't agree more an excellent move by the Government this one /yes

Yes, the government appears to be doing something without loosing revenue. :speechles /Grrr :inquisiti

Crickle
01-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Yes, the government appears to be doing something without loosing revenue. :speechles /Grrr :inquisiti

Does make you think tho.. why are they doing it? They will ultimately lose money on cigs as people will stop smoking but then they will gain on the money saved from heart, lung and asthma patients and medicine in about 30 years. Kinda makes sense actually.

I only wish that many moons ago when tobacco was first introduced we all knew then what we know now! Shame it has to be so damaging!

Anyone fancy quitting? www.quitnet.com

steve190
01-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I only wish that many moons ago when tobacco was first introduced we all knew then what we know now! Shame it has to be so damaging!

Same could also be said for that other legal substance - alcohol :chugchug: , all the damage it does, I've woken up more than once with my lower back protesting :sick2: :sick: after a seriously long drinking binge.
And the armed forces do binge big style /drinkswine /drinkswine :party2: :givemebee :beerchug: :beerbang: :5shots: :runkest:

Lillywotsername
01-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Personally I think alcohol does more damage to peoples lives than tobacco. In this binge drinking society more and more people are having their lives ruined by alcohol.

Ok yes, innocents are affected by passive smoking but how many people are killed as a result of alcohol related incidents each year and they haven't had a drink themselves.

If you want to have a nanny culture then stamp down on the binge drinkers as well as the smokers.

/gets off soap box

Nick VR4
01-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Well been to a Christening today got the a Social Club for a drink or three and not being allowed to smoke was pants

I can understand why but pint & ciggy is good, pint and no ciggy is /Grrr

Walked down the main road after to another social club and every pub we past lots of people smoking outside, some shouting swearing etc with families and kids walking past, not very nice and quiet unnerving at times

So now at home with pint and a ciggy :afro::afro:

I-S
01-07-2007, 05:39 PM
My local actually banned it a few months ago because they refurbished the interior and figured that there was no point in having smoking for a few months with all the new paint and furniture, then banning anyway. Definite improvement.

Similarly, when my dad took over at the place he runs, one of the very first things he did on his first day was sent out an email to all staff saying "This is now a non-smoking building". Caused some complaint at first, but he's had thanks from all the non-smokers and the 3 (out of a total of about 45 employees) who've quit smoking because of it.

Smokers might complain about being told what to do or not to do, but for the non-smoking majority it's a matter of not having second-hand smoked forced upon us. It is your choice whether or not to smoke at home or in your car, but there's no right for smokers to make everyone else breathe it in the workplace, pub or similar.

Crossbow
01-07-2007, 05:58 PM
WOWW /thankyou now you can go to the pub with out smelling :sick2: like you rolled in the ash try/Grrr

Crickle
01-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Hehe.... Its fantastic.... My sister and I can't wait to go out next weekend!

As for lillys mention of alcohol and binge drinking! I totally agree... TOOOOOO many people do it, hurt others or themselves and don't even realise or remember it as it causes blanks... or so they say! I can't say i have ever had a blank in my life!

How do you make people realise those kinds of things tho? Is there not a bingers anonymous lol?

ianturbo
01-07-2007, 09:36 PM
good coments , but i'm off to a smoke free pub to get leathered and come home with no smoke smell !! pity i don't have a dog , then misses would never know were i been !! exepet for wobble on way in !

SGHOM
01-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Woohoo.... WTG Darling.

When I said stopped... I meant smoking in public places. :afro:
I now wander the streets aimlessly 24/7, fag in hand ! /Grrr /pan /pan

Kieran
01-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah, the more I think about it, the happier I am. Okay, I'm a lifelong non-smoker, but then I did suffer about 12 years with my parents smoking - dad was a 60 a day man untill he quit many moons ago.... And the house, and (eventually!!) his temper is much the better for it.

I must admit I wouldn't mind my friends smoking whilst I'm around them... Mainly because I am in control of whether or not I expose myself to a known health hazard - but when I step into a smoky pub where you can't get away from it?! Ewww! no ta!

BraindG
01-07-2007, 10:58 PM
One thing i noticed at Japshow was that no-one smoked inside the gazebo :D - which from memory... :thinking: is the first time ive ever seen it happen - I was quietly very happy about that.