PDA

View Full Version : Ground cables...

slaine
01-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi there, good morning.

I have now almost all the parts I wanted to service the car, and I'm going to do it asap.
The thing is, I was going to change the battery and ground cables and then I saw that there is only 1 thick cable attached to the negative pole of the battery, and it goes screwed to right side of the engine.
I thought there should be at least 2 ground cables, like in my last car, I'm not sure if I must put another one and screw it somewhere else in the engine bay...
Thanks for your help and info :)

Nick Mann
01-07-2007, 03:20 PM
It should also bolt to the chassis - IIRC it does that quite close to the battery on the inner wing.

You can earth the battery as many times as you want! The connection to the engine/chassis is the most important part - unless you are using bell wire the point of most resistance will be the connections.

slaine
01-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi there,

Thanks for the info :)
I think I'll buy 2 cables and bolt them both, one where the actual one is in the engine and I'll put the new one in the chassis, right side of the battery there is space I think.

/thankyou

Nick Mann
01-07-2007, 05:25 PM
You need to earth to the chassis and the engine - I didn't make myself very clear on that one I guess! Somewhere there must be a earth strap to each. You can daisy chain the connections, but I would say the way you are going is better.

slaine
02-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Ok, thanks for that.
I hope I can get the time to do it this weekend :)