PDA

View Full Version : Power loss past 180kmph

Mante
22-12-2003, 06:45 AM
Well its way past it but since its past the speedo Im guessing it would be roughly 192 kmph or 120mph. The ironic part is either power is not restored until the car drops below 180 kmph. Is this the Fuel cut that people mention or something else? Maybe something to do with "safe mode" INSERT INTO post VALUES (something of which Im still unsure about) feature?

Kieran
22-12-2003, 08:07 AM
Is your car still restricted by any chance? I think JDM VR-4s were limited to 118mph to comply with Japanese regulations. I'd check this out.

Removing the restriction isn't too difficult from what I gather, but if your model was from Japan, check the tyres have been changed, as they too may only be rated for 120ish MPH.

Nick VR4
22-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Sounds like your car is still restricted to approx 112mph
It also may be in safe mode what RON are you using it should be 98+

Mante
22-12-2003, 04:26 PM
kieranThe tires are V rated bridgestones, to my knowledge V rated tires can withstand up to 149mph for an hour. So how to remove the restriction?

nickvr4 I have been using 93 octane, it was mentioned that I would know when safe mode was reached when the engine light came on. Thankfully I havent had that problem.

zedy1
23-12-2003, 12:45 AM
min octane is 95 ron so use that and reset the ecu if i is resriced then you can ibstall the apexi rev speed meter and that will sort it out

Spirit
23-12-2003, 02:36 AM
I have been using 93 octane, it was mentioned that I would know when safe mode was reached when the engine light came on. Thankfully I havent had that problem.

I understood 97 ron was minimum, anything below this would put the ECU in safe mode and reduce the power considerably to protect the engine - do not think the engine light comes on though mate. Can you get 97+ where you are ? If so, do as Mo said and fill up, then reset the ECU and you should notice a big improvement, and of course de-restrict also if required.

Mante
23-12-2003, 02:41 AM
93 is usually the highest grade BUT I just remembered that a certain gas station is famous for selling 94 octane INSERT INTO post VALUES (used to be 95 a couple years ago but was lowered due to insane priceing) Filled the tank but I guess I have to wait until and run 94 with tolene octane boost until next fill up.

How do I de restrict the car? that apexi rev speed meter or the hks fcd? if it is the fcd Im in the process of getting on not sure if I will use it due to complaints you guys give it

Spirit
23-12-2003, 02:53 AM
You can use the Apexi RSM to de-restrict the car - it's an option when you wire it into the ECU. They are considerably cheaper in the US than here in the UK - in fact here is one for sale http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33596&item=2449001283 - for $195 "Buy It Now" - this is what I would go for

-LegnumVR4-
24-12-2003, 05:36 AM
I understood 97 ron was minimum, anything below this would put the ECU in safe mode and reduce the power considerably to protect the engine - do not think the engine light comes on though mate. Can you get 97+ where you are ? If so, do as Mo said and fill up, then reset the ECU and you should notice a big improvement, and of course de-restrict also if required.

I can only run 96 here and haven't had any problems with 'safe mode'. Did a 14 flat 1/4 mile with it too.

Your car is still restricted to the 180k mark, the ECU lets u travel passed the 180k mark then cuts power until u drop below 180k again then starts over.