PDA

View Full Version : Back to my wurring noise......

jayjay99
03-07-2007, 09:45 AM
I submitted a thread here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23104&highlight=wurring) about a wurring noise when I turn left I know I've gotta look into it and plan to try and get it up on ramps this weekend. It's getting a fair bit worse and I've got a feeling it might have something to do with the AYC. The other day I was coasting at about 60 and nudged the wheel to the left ever so slightly and you could hear the wurring but as I did I also noticed the first bar on the AYC light up, I nudged it slightly back and forth and the bar came on and off in time with the wurring noise. I wasn't turning anywhere near as hard for the need of any kind of yaw control...... it hasn't done it since but if I snap it a bit harder I can get the light on but I feel that is probably normal. In the past i've thought I'd seen a little flash down there but in the time it took my eyes to move it had gone out, I don't think I was seeing things now. I checked the AYC fluid and it was clean and at a perfect level and I had the car serviced not too long ago at WRD.

Any ideas?

bradc
03-07-2007, 10:07 AM
the AYC shouldn't light up so easily. Are all of your tyres of the same age and approximate wear as well as brand? Are they all pumped up evenly?

And lastly, did WRD change all of the oils in the rear diff or just some?

Nutter_John
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
We changed the diff and clutch pack , checked the AYC fuild

Sounds like it's your AYC pump if you drive down the road at 20mph and flick left the right does all three lights come on , and do you hear the whirring noise ?

jayjay99
03-07-2007, 11:15 AM
All the tires are toyo proxies with similar treads, a couple were a bit low but are now pumped up.

I've never seen three lights on it, obviously have never pushed it hard enough! Or been concentrating too much to see it.
If I did what you were saying I wouldn't get all three, if I snapped it hard enough I'd get one but that's it. When I got that one bar the other day easily it was a one off but it pointed me in a direction.
And it only whirrs on the left turns, so when rocking it it would be.......whirr......quiet.......whirr......quiet.. .....whirr......quiet..... and so on.

Nutter_John
03-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah but doing the flick should induce full 3 bar action , basically you are making the AYC think your losing control ( but your not )

If it is only happening on left truns I wonder if it could be a stuck actuator on the pump

jayjay99
04-07-2007, 08:14 AM
I guess I'll have to really yank it to get three bars. Stuck actuator? that don't sound good.

Nick Mann
04-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Could it be a wheel bearing and the noise increase on sharp turns coincides with the AYC activation?

jayjay99
04-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Ok, I'll get it up on ramps this weekend and give the wheels a rock.

jayjay99
08-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Yeah but doing the flick should induce full 3 bar action , basically you are making the AYC think your losing control ( but your not )

If it is only happening on left truns I wonder if it could be a stuck actuator on the pump

I did the 'flick' a few times and managed to get all three lights to come up so all would seem fine there, I'm going to the garage tomorrow to put it on the ramps so I'll give the wheels a shake and see if I can find a loose bearing.

jayjay99
09-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I had the car up on the ramp this weekend, checked all the bearings but couldn't find any wobble at all! Also got a level bar and checked loads of arms but nothing seemed out of the ordinary, tried turning the steering while the car was stationary but it didn't make a sound so that would make me think it's not the pas pump.......I'm at a loss, I even done a wheel alighnment, that didn't do anything. I might get a few things together that I need done and bring it up to you guys at WRD at some point to have a look at.
While I was under there I removed the BOV and in the cap that blocks off the return hose there was some oil, not alot but I was under the impression it was just air going through there, anyone know how oil could end up in there? After all was connected up I did start to get a bit of blue smoke out the back but it seems fine now.

Nutter_John
09-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Don't worry about the Oil in the Dump valve pipe , when I took mine off I got about 1/2 pint of water and oil out of it .

Jay we can sort something out for me to have a quick look at it one evening as i'm only 30 miles from you .

Jimbo
09-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Just plucked a random thought out of the air.....probably hogwash, but thought I'd share my experiences (get it down to Richy and John and I'm sure they'll sort it as they always do...but I may as well just say this though....)

I once had, not quite a whirring sound, but more of a scraping sound from my diff (very difficult to actually tell where noises are coming from....I remember one such rear-sounding noise from another guy's car was actually finally diagnosed and fixed as being abnormal tyre noise...very odd) and it was always, always in sync with the AYC lights....thanks to WRD, H7, Nick Mann, and others we realised it was the clutchpack fluid.

With yours not coming on in sync with the AYC in all cases then I'll offer this as well. As my old V-reg got older it developed a strange noise from the power steering, but only on left handers (I think...might have been right, my memory is going).....that sounded like "whirring" more than anything else.

Hope you get it sorted.

jayjay99
09-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Don't worry about the Oil in the Dump valve pipe , when I took mine off I got about 1/2 pint of water and oil out of it .

Jay we can sort something out for me to have a quick look at it one evening as i'm only 30 miles from you .

Ah ok, cool, let me know any time you have free and I'll come up and meet up with you. A friend offered another suggestion that it could possibly be abnormal tyre wear as the front right tyre is start to bald off on the edge, I can never seem to get even wear..... maybe that has something to do with it.... I have the presures up to 36psi all round but it still seems to look low. Before I pumped it up last it was at 30psi and I still had the wuring noise then.... dunno. I don't wanna fork out for 2 new tyres just yet though as I'm getting alloys very soon and that's just a waste of £200

With yours not coming on in sync with the AYC in all cases then I'll offer this as well. As my old V-reg got older it developed a strange noise from the power steering, but only on left handers (I think...might have been right, my memory is going).....that sounded like "whirring" more than anything else.

Alright mate, did that still do it when the car was sitting still? That's the only reason I ruled mine out cos it doesn't in tis case.

jayjay99
10-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Just ruled out the tyres, I swaped the back wheels with the front wheels. No change.

uploaded/2685/1184094718.jpg

Beastlee
10-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow, a floating car. I knew VR-4s were legendary but that's amazing. /pan

Out of interest where is the back support? Would be handy to know when it comes to AYC change time as I can possibly get it on a ramp.

jayjay99
10-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Lol, I was waiting for someone to say that! I was gonna say "where do you find a VR-4 with no wheels? Exactly where you left it!" /duh

I wasn't sure but my mate put them here and it sat there for quite a while with no problems at all!

uploaded/2685/1184099863.jpg

uploaded/2685/1184100004.jpg

uploaded/2685/1184100047.jpg

uploaded/2685/1184100141.jpg

Beastlee
11-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the pics. Unless someone comes along to advise otherwise I know where to put them now.

Just something I noted from those pics is you have P6000s on it. Both my SAAB Aero and the VR-4 came fitted with them and the difference made by replacing them was amazing. My preference was to fit Toyo Proxies T1-R in both cases and the wear was considerbly less despite the huge leap in grip.

MarkSanne
11-07-2007, 09:11 AM
About them Toyo proxies T1: got them too and loving 'em!! Lots of grip and very, very acceptable wear. Before the toyo's the car had bridgestone's which were noisier, had less grip and weared off FAST!

So I'm 'sticking' to Toyo's!

jayjay99
11-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Oh I have toyo proxies on the front, you can see them in the third picture, I did have them all round but the back ones wore down and I didn't wanna buy more as I'm just about to get new alloys. Toyo proxies are by far the best tyre I've had on her, those and eagle F1's. When I get the new alloys I'll be getting toyos all round.

Beastlee
11-07-2007, 10:24 AM
If you have different tyres front and rear is it possible this is causing an upset witht he AYC. I know it only does it when turning left but I do wonder.

jayjay99
11-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Hmm.... there's so many things it could be, ok, I'll see if it goes when I change the alloys.

Nutter_John
11-07-2007, 04:21 PM
How about a mini meet tomorrow evening then Jay ?

jayjay99
11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah ok, where abouts are you thinking?

Nutter_John
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Stoke on Trent :p

your richmond ain't you so how about south mimms services as it is about half way , plus you never know some other reprabates may turn up

jayjay99
11-07-2007, 05:25 PM
stoke's a tad far..... :) South mimms is cool, shall I post up in the meets section, see if anyone's gonna be around?

Nutter_John
11-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah why not ,what time is good with you

jayjay99
11-07-2007, 05:50 PM
from 5 I'm free.

Nutter_John
11-07-2007, 05:57 PM
7:30 pm then ?

jayjay99
11-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Ok, I'll aim for 7:30pm, I'll post in the other section. Thanks alot mate.

jayjay99
01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Problem would seem to have been solved now, well, is in the process. Droped it off to the nice guys at Eurospec and the reason it was so hard to determine where at the front the sound was coming from was because it was BOTH front wheel bearings that were on their way out! First has been replaced just waiting for delivery of the second. Cheers Guys!

phosty
02-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Hmmn - seems I have a similar noise. But I am fairly sure it's connected to the AYC because if I go round a roundabout just slow enough to keep the AYC lights off I get no noise - but as soon as I get the first bar up i hear a kind of 'thrumming'.

Could it be as simple as requiring an AYC fluid change? I have noticed I have a small AYC fluid leak (odd spots on the drive way and I saw a drip under the AYC Diff housing).

During normal driving I hear the AYC pump whirring away quite frequently - I had assumed it was normal but I'm beginning to think it could be due to the leak.

AYC level is fine and I have no warning lamps up.

Should you be able to hear the AYC system in action when you get the bars up?

jayjay99
11-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Hmm... my noise was deffinatly from the front and as such shouldn't really have anything to do with the ayc which is the back. I picked up my car yesterday and it is now as smooth and as silent as anything! Only thing is now I have a problem that the first ayc bar is nearly always on, can't be related cos the bearings were at the front and ayc operates at the back. Get rid of one problem only to get another!

bradc
11-08-2007, 11:03 AM
check your tyre pressure and the amount of tread left needs to be even across all tyres.

jayjay99
11-08-2007, 12:38 PM
ok, i'll check it

Waylander2
12-08-2007, 03:27 AM
Mine used to make a slight noise too sounded like it was from the boot region, when i got the 100000km service done they flushed the system out and the noise went away.

Only used to make it when going around right hand corners didnt mater if it was under acceleration or not.

Think they might have changed a filter in there aswell but not to sure on that one.

Later