PDA

View Full Version : hello all, info needed on ATF leaks

leevr4
03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
hello

can anyone give me any information on ATF leaks, if anyone else has had same problem or if you know where it maybe coming from on a vr4.
cheers lee

Nick Mann
03-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Almost certainly the flexible hose from the cooling pipe in front of the intercooler going up the side of the engine bay.

An hour with some 3/8" hose and a few new jubilee clips should solve the problem.

Good luck!

Funkstar
03-07-2007, 09:21 PM
One of the most common problems and the problem I'm currently having on mine is the Tourqe Converter seal which tends to go. This will lead to a slow loss of ATF fluid from the gearbox.

Mine has been like this for a while now, and whilst annoying, I haven't got round to getting it sorted yet. I beleive the part only costs £15ish from Mitsu, but for them to fix it your looking at about £800 for labour and such. I know WRD will do it for much cheaper. PM richyrich, nutterjohn or SGHOM if you need any help with that.

There is a way of finding out if this is the problem you may be having, but I can't seem to remember off the top of my head. A quick search for "ATF leak" should bring up a few threads for you.

Best of luck.

leevr4
03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
many thanks, will give it a try

Kieran
03-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Nick and Funkstar are bang on the money. If the leak appears to be around the joint between the gearbox and the engine, then it's more likely to be the T/C seal that's letting go. Usually you'll see a lot of ATF collect on the joint, especially after a long run.

Funkstar
03-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Lee, here's a post I made in the same vain a while back. Might give you a little more help:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13808

Nick Mann
03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I forgot about the T/C seal! /pan

I hope it's not - the seal itself is cheap, but the labour cost/DIY time is high.

leevr4
03-07-2007, 09:39 PM
cheers guys, cars going in garage on thursday, at least i can give him something to go at, i will post again when i get car back and let you know what the problem is. any other info will be greatly appreciated

Nutter_John
03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
the TC seal takes around 10 hrs to take the bits off and put them back , but the change of the 10 quid seal takes 5 mins

leevr4
03-07-2007, 10:17 PM
thanks WRD will probably ringing you soon

Nutter_John
03-07-2007, 10:20 PM
No Probs , and we are only 30 mins down the a50 from you as well :D

amsoil
05-07-2007, 01:10 AM
cheers guys, cars going in garage on thursday, at least i can give him something to go at, i will post again when i get car back and let you know what the problem is. any other info will be greatly appreciated

I think if your garage finds it to be the TC seal I would seriously consider saying thanks and getting it to WRD chop chop. They have done this job before , know these cars have never had a bad word said about there work and they will save you money. Just seems common sense to me?