PDA

View Full Version : GTO Turbo Calipers

Spader
04-07-2007, 04:46 AM
Does anyone know if the Mitsi GTO Turbo calipers will fit on a 96 VR-4? I've had awful brake issues and have reconditioned the ABS Pump, changed wheel sensors, replaced rotors and have now found that it appears to be a stuffed caliper. All previous work was done on the advice of mechanics....
The Mitsi GTO Turbo has standard 4 pot calipers on the front and we use them on our race car (Holden Torana) but I dont have a spare set to check with...

DefeXion
04-07-2007, 05:15 AM
All I know is that the GTO turbo caliper only sat a couple of mm away from the stock wheel, so you will probably have more problems with the wheel housing it than the car holding it.

Anyone else?

Catalan
04-07-2007, 08:12 AM
The Mitsi GTO Turbo has standard 4 pot calipers on the front and we use them on our race car (Holden Torana) but I dont have a spare set to check with...

they needed hand made housting to hub, and many space under wheels, and they heavy :( , is better to buy a kit from anybody (stop-tech, d2, maybe in UK accessible more budget kits :) ) , or get it from stock evo 7-8-9.

Nick Mann
04-07-2007, 09:54 AM
A couple of people have tried, but no-one has succeeded yet AFAIK. I would say Catalan's post title is a fair summary!

The 96 VR4 will not take the same brakes as Evos without a change of hub carrier. A search on hub carrier will bring up plenty of info on that.

There are pre-facelift cars with big-brake conversions, but I think they start at 4 figures for the cheaper ones!

Catalan
04-07-2007, 10:07 AM
A couple of people have tried, but no-one has succeeded yet AFAIK. I would say Catalan's post title is a fair summary!

The 96 VR4 will not take the same brakes as Evos without a change of hub carrier. A search on hub carrier will bring up plenty of info on that.

There are pre-facelift cars with big-brake conversions, but I think they start at 4 figures for the cheaper ones!

for EVO's brake, change hub carrier( got it from facelift galant) , and abs sensors needed change too

I was install brembo (from evo-8) on pre-facelift

here is links to photos :)
http://www.transeng.ru/vadya/brembo/

One man from Russian VR-4 Club install breakes from GTO on pre-facelift legnum vr-4, but they sold vr-4 around 1 years ago :(
and buy evo :)

He hand made custom hub carrier, look like flat poker :)))

Eurospec
04-07-2007, 10:10 AM
The std brakes are a bit of a cross between Evo and FTO, and as a result, the GTO calipers wont go on.

To get them on you would need custom brackets (Remember different callipers between Mk1 and Mk2 GTO) and they would be a long way out from the hub fixing points. I dont like that idea as i think they would flex like a good un!

The callipers themselves are massive (ie fat) so you need huge wheels or spacers to clear them.

Cheers,

Ben.

Spader
05-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Oh well I guess I'll give that idea a miss. Thanks for the info guys

KHK
05-07-2007, 03:01 AM
GTO calipers DO NOT need huge wheel.
17x7JJ alloy with the usual offset can house the GTO calipers

ONLY issue that needs concern is the need to either
1) replace with facelift hubs and abs (perfect modification with GTO calipers)
or
2) handmake brakets for the bolts, good or not depends on craftsmanship

with such big calipers and big brake disc, braking effect is much better than standard for sure

Gly
05-07-2007, 07:51 AM
GTO calipers DO NOT need huge wheel.
17x7JJ alloy with the usual offset can house the GTO calipers

ONLY issue that needs concern is the need to either
1) replace with facelift hubs and abs (perfect modification with GTO calipers)
or

wrong... you need a wheel that clear brembos, as the gto brakes are the same size (width wise).

also wrong... the gto breaks do not bolt on pre or post facelift. you will need adaptor plates for them to go on either car.

Catalan
05-07-2007, 01:43 PM
wrong... you need a wheel that clear brembos, as the gto brakes are the same size (width wise).

also wrong... the gto breaks do not bolt on pre or post facelift. you will need adaptor plates for them to go on either car.

but also if facelift hub carrier, the make adaptor unreal, no space ...

from our club 2 guys with facelift vr-4 miss this thing, and they say - no space for adaptor on facelift, only on pre-facelift it possible.

ps
the one install 8-pot from d2 racing :)
the other guy install brembos from evo
after failed expirience with GTO brakes.

taylor
15-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Sorry to dig up an old topic but I am wondering what the stopping power is compared to Brembos.

I have spied a set of fronts here in NZ with adapter plates that aparently fit a Legnum, Im thinking they are off a EVO 4

MarkSanne
15-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I have a set of 4-pot GTO (or 3000GT as we call them here) that are waiting for a custom set of disc brakes and a set of 'standard' adapterplates. The Crimson Inc 17" wheels that I have on the Legnum will fit these lightweight calipers and keep a good 6-8mm clearance.

Next to that: these GTO calipers are an exact replica of a type of Brembo caliper set. "Dutch Driver" has a set of those and every, every detail matches. Only difference is the colour and the brandname on them.

To be continued as soon as we have the brake discs and adapter-plates!

bradc
15-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I thought the GTO calipers were oem'ed by Sumitomo?

GTOpete
15-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I thought the GTO calipers were oem'ed by Sumitomo?

yes thats correct, they are pretty much the same as early Skylines (R32) and 300zx brakes.
GTO brakes also have pretty much the worst seals of all the jap cars of that era so thats something to think about.

unclepaulie
16-09-2010, 12:30 AM
here's a little something i found:

http://tunersnation.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_319_320_321&products_id=882

im 99% sure the 2g eclipse shares the same 130mm bolt spacing as the PFL vr4's

could be a decent option. other aussies didnt like the idea of brackets though

bradc
16-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Evo 1-3 and eclipse 2g are all 130mm. I think eclipse 2g is the only 130mm car to have 5 stud hubs. That kit will work fine on a pfl

taylor
16-09-2010, 03:13 AM
Evo 1-3 and eclipse 2g are all 130mm. I think eclipse 2g is the only 130mm car to have 5 stud hubs. That kit will work fine on a pfl

Do you think they would be a good upgrade brad? i can get my hands on some front ones cheaply, and have adapters made up already..

or should i spend more and get brembos and change hubcarriers and abs sensors and have to put up with squeal???

bradc
16-09-2010, 07:40 AM
The GTO ones would be a good upgrade yes.

They have about the same amount of chance of squealing though, the squealing formula largely is size of disc^2 x pad compound. Once the combination is over a certain level you tend to get squeal ;)