PDA

View Full Version : Towing Info

Hilly
04-07-2007, 12:12 PM
My dad is so impressed with my Galant he wants one. They've got a GDi Estate at our local dealer, the only problem is it's an automatic and he tows a caravan.

Apparently you need a second radiator for the gearbox to stop it overheating if you want to tow with an automatic, does anyone know it it will have this?

:inquisiti

Paul Beazer
04-07-2007, 12:41 PM
My dad is so impressed with my Galant he wants one. They've got a GDi Estate at our local dealer, the only problem is it's an automatic and he tows a caravan.

Apparently you need a second radiator for the gearbox to stop it overheating if you want to tow with an automatic, does anyone know it it will have this?

:inquisiti

It wont have one as standard, they are available as an aftermarket fitment.

Article HERE (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4799&highlight=gearbox+oil+cooler)

I-S
04-07-2007, 02:36 PM
The GDI engine's characteristics should be great for towing (torquey from low revs).

The F4A42 auto box has been known to strip output splines and there is a belief (myself included) that towing may be part of the cause of this. Certainly I'd suggest a cooler (several members have them fitted) and use Amsoil ATF which lowers the gearbox running temperature for a given load in addition to being more tolerant of higher temperatures than other fluids are.

Couple of things on the GDI - it needs a good thrash once in a while to stop coking up (it has huge amounts of EGR and coking has been a problem. V-power or fuel system cleaners don't help because they can't clean the intake valves (as the fuel is injected straight into the cylinder). Regular oil changes with full synthetic oil are recommended.

amsoil
05-07-2007, 01:00 AM
As the chaps above have said + consider putting in some new diff oil, normally people have Amsoils SVG 75-90 but they now have SVT 75-110 which is expecially designed for such towing http://performanceoilsltd.co.uk/amsoil_gear_lubricant.html
Is it good? well Amsoil reckon its good for a minimum of 50,000 miles and upto 250,000!!! as in put it in the once only. You will need just the one bottle.

Kierans excellent article on what and how much goes where is here http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13815&highlight=amsoil+ayc

DefeXion
12-07-2007, 03:33 AM
Also, the breaks on the GDi's are quite small for towing a caravan. I would suggest at least upgrading the pads and possibly the discs if your dad plans on doing long trips. It's very hilly in NZ, so the problem is more exagerated here.

I-S
12-07-2007, 08:30 AM
UK GDIs have the 275mm brake setup like the V6.

Gly
12-07-2007, 08:54 AM
and you should run them on the highest octane possible to get the most out of them...

personally i wouldn't touch any mitsi GDI,
fine in japan on there 100octane min,

but utter crap on anything less...
they run VERY high compression so are really no good on 91/95 octane

I-S
12-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Mine's fine.

bradc
12-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Isaac, you've got a great one that is quite fuel efficient. My GDI wasn't bad either (I never saw the gdi light come on, EVER, but it got about 9L/100km). Kenneths one was terrible though, his used about 12-13L/100km, which is just as much as a VR-4.

imho they can vary over quite a wide range from excellent to terrible and without dealer support and proper 100 octane fuel it isn't worth the risk. The n/a 6A13 sohc is a superb reliable engine that doesn't have any fancy trickery going on at all and is the best engine that mitsi put into 8G's, apart from the 6A13TT

I-S
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Perhaps because yours were japanese imports which did, as Gly said, require 100RON fuel, whereas mine is a UK tuned one which is set up for 95RON and the GDI light is on most of the time?

Subaru ETA
12-07-2007, 11:06 AM
yeah the ones i test drove before buying the old str were always running with the gdi/econo light on until you floored it...

Kieran
14-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Perhaps because yours were japanese imports which did, as Gly said, require 100RON fuel, whereas mine is a UK tuned one which is set up for 95RON and the GDI light is on most of the time?

Yeah, that's why the UK didn't get the gdi straight away - Mitsubishi spent quite a while sussing out how to make it run correctly with lower grade UK fuel. Just look at the power outputs - the JDM 1.8GDi is rated at 150bhp. The UK Spec 2.4GDi is rated at 147bhp.

Rambaud
14-07-2007, 10:37 PM

Isaac,

What mpg are you getting currently with 95 RON petrol?

I-S
14-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Bit early to tell, but so far as the data below:

Rambaud
14-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Impressive.

Filled up this afternoon with 34.58 litres after 292 miles = 38.38 m.p.g. Fully laden + air-con, so not bad for an auto 'box. :)

This was wih Shell V-Power.

Rambaud
17-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Is Amsoil ATF overkill for the 2.4 GDI Tip 'Box?

Kieran
17-07-2007, 07:33 PM

No. The FWD gearboxes require the almost mythical MitsuTwitty Diamond SP-II also - Amsoil is the only choice you have in all honesty... Well, it's not, but you know what I mean...:scholar:

Rambaud
17-07-2007, 07:56 PM
No. The FWD gearboxes require the almost mythical MitsuTwitty Diamond SP-II also - Amsoil is the only choice you have in all honesty... Well, it's not, but you know what I mean...:scholar:

I was afraid that might be the case, Kieran. :)

Wallet looks like it will be getting even lighter. :(

I-S
17-07-2007, 07:58 PM

Absolutely not. My GLS auto loved it - it cooked its fluid, and mitsu screwed the change. Put in Amsoil and smmmmmoooooooottttthhhhhhhhhhh resulted. Plus, nigh-on 20000 miles later, the fluid is still very RED and perfectly smooth (my brother has that car now).

I would thoroughly recommend it.

amsoil
17-07-2007, 08:07 PM

No its a necessity IMHO There are realisticly only 2 choices meeting the Mitzi spec. One its Mitzi's own Diamond SPII/III and the other is Amsoil ATF which exceeds the spec by some way. Mitzi's own from what I can find is not a real synthetic (correct me if I'm wrong please) and therefore has a life of only a fraction of the lefe expectancy of Amsoils real synthetic ATF. Additionally the Amsoil ATF will take upto 100 degrees more temperature than other fluids with no ill effect. When you then come to the price which appears to be similar ? although I have heard of Mitzi's own being much more expensive dependant upon where and if you can find it, it starts to become a bit of a no brainer. Same price or less , lasts a number of times longer, takes more heat and abuse, even cleans the insides of the box because of how its formulated etc etc
So save your gearbox save on the changes and have a better product with a better ride.