PDA

View Full Version : B*****d Bearings

scc
06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Have major issues with wheel bearing changes. I'm changing the two rear hubs and front driver hub.

So far I've snapped a bolt in two for the rears, and for the front, the damn hub thing just wont come off.

I reckon I snapped the rear bolt because I smacked each one on the head to shift the bearing out. I'm not going to do the same for the front. Is there another way to get the front bearing off without smiting each bolt in turn?

Cheers,
scc

SGHOM
06-07-2007, 10:42 PM
must admit they are a bit of a pain.

give WRD a call, & we'll replace the bolts we snap !! :thinking:

BraindG
06-07-2007, 10:51 PM
when you say hub wont come off.. you mean of the assembly? or the bearing wont come off the bit that has the bolts on it?

do a search on my username, then dremel (if thats how its spelt) - also search the articles area for my name and bearings.

scc
06-07-2007, 11:41 PM
I meant the hub assembly. :(

Cheers,
scc

Kieran
06-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Dunno if this will help with your situ, but when I needed to remove a driveshaft, a 3 legged hub puller worked very well. I think Pezz had issues getting the hubs off because they:d rust-welded themselves to the driveshaft splines - I soaked this area in WD-40 and then gently pressed the driveshaft ouyt by winding in the hub puller on it. With this out, you could then remove the wheel bearing bolts and use a prybar to 'persuade' the hub assembly from the hub carrier (if that makes any sense!!)

scc
06-07-2007, 11:56 PM
I hammered in the drive shaft, and took all bolts off, and the hub assembly appears to have rusted itself on the hub carrier. I'll try a bigger hammer tomorrow :D (or get a 3 leg puller as you suggested)

cheers,
scc

BraindG
07-07-2007, 12:19 AM
but the bolts back in so that theres about half a cm between the head and the assembly, then put a 14 mm socket on it, and an extention..then hit it, take xocket off.. move to next bolt around and hit it, go round and round till the bolts are hard against the asembly.. then undo the bolts a wee bit.. and again hit each in turn till the bolts are hard against the assembly.. by this time the assembly should be nearly off, just get a fattish screwdrive and wedge it off...

Paul Beazer
11-07-2007, 09:23 PM
SCC is share your pain! Took longer to get the bearing assembly out than taking it apart and putting it back together. Lots of WD40 and hammers, BIG ONES!

scc
11-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, it was a painful experience! Going to pay a local mechanic 50 quid to punch out the assembly. It's just impossible to get enough swing from the hammers to knock out the hub with the car just on axle stands.

I take it you were successful?

Cheers,
scc

BraindG
11-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Take the assembly off the car :D

then get a dremel - http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248190&postcount=19