PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of doing a rear camera jobbie

jayjay99
08-07-2007, 02:28 AM
Now I've got this 'all singing, all dancing' stereo I was thinking of wiring in a reverse camera as it has that feature too. I was thinking of mounting it in the underside of the spoiler pointing down towards the bumper. anyone know how easy it is to get inside the spoiler etc? Or even if this is a good idea?

bradc
08-07-2007, 04:13 AM
I'd prefer to have a fount mounted one :) Or if it only has one input then have a switch that lets you change between the two cameras

FNFAST VR4
08-07-2007, 06:33 AM
I'd prefer to have a fount mounted one :) Or if it only has one input then have a switch that lets you change between the two cameras

That's a really good idea, I'm forever bashing the front of my car on things, would save me a few bob in the long run.

What are those parking sensors like you can get installed?

jayjay99
08-07-2007, 11:10 AM
That would be a hell of a lot easier to install than one in the spoiler, I do have a video switching block thing, 4 inputs and 1 output. Was, at one point, gonna have for example, a camera on the front, one on the rear and two underneath between the wheels one looking forward and one looking back!

Those sensors are good, I had them installed on my last Galant, but in the rear they are wired to the reverse lights, so in the front you'd have to wire them to a switch or something otherwise they'd be constantly going off at traffis lights etc.

djwarden
08-07-2007, 12:54 PM
What are those parking sensors like you can get installed?

The best sensor kits have 4 sensors in, there are kits with two but for a car like the galant you would be better off with a 4 sensor kit as it gives a more accurate reading, and look for kits with a range meter on so you can actually see how close you are instead of just relying on the beeps. The kits are fairly easy to install and the sensors themselves can be color coded to the car so you dont have 4 black things on your bumper

- edit -
The sensors must be mounted on plastic not metal as metal resonates the signal and will always give a zero range reading so the kit wont work

jayjay99
08-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I had the four sensor set, worked very well, I didn't have the range meter though but it's deffinatly something I'd get the next time.

MarkSanne
09-07-2007, 10:06 AM
I've added a rear-view camera in my bumper. See the pics in this (dutch) topic:
http://forum.mitsubishi-owners-club.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3437

(also a lot of other stuff and upgrades on my VR2)

jayjay99
09-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I've added a rear-view camera in my bumper. See the pics in this (dutch) topic:
http://forum.mitsubishi-owners-club.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3437

(also a lot of other stuff and upgrades on my VR2)

Ah yes, I do remember seeing some of your pics on here. Do they have more options over there in Holland for changing body panels, ie, bonnet, bodykit? Probably will be driving though there before the year is out and wanna do some part shopping.

MarkSanne
09-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Ah yes, I do remember seeing some of your pics on here. Do they have more options over there in Holland for changing body panels, ie, bonnet, bodykit? Probably will be driving though there before the year is out and wanna do some part shopping.

No, actually it is quite hard to find nice/good parts, especially for me with the VR4 engine that almost nobody knows a thing about. But I've got some useful websites/webshops and my MD (aka "dutch driver") connection (he has a tuning company (MD-performance.nl) that specializes in Japanese car brands, but mostly Mitsubishi). He can deliver everything you need at a fair price.

jayjay99
09-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I see, I've seen a few bits in germany but have difficulty searching due to not being able to speak the local lingo :)

Ah, that's cool, if I do go through there I'd probably pick up as I think it would cost a bomb to send, ie a bonnet or bumpers across to the UK wouldn't it?

MarkSanne
09-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I see, I've seen a few bits in germany but have difficulty searching due to not being able to speak the local lingo :)

Ah, that's cool, if I do go through there I'd probably pick up as I think it would cost a bomb to send, ie a bonnet or bumpers across to the UK wouldn't it?

I dunno what shipping that kind of large object would cost. I'll post this topic to him and ask him for a reply.

jayjay99
09-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Cool, thanks very much!

DefeXion
10-07-2007, 03:01 AM
If you have got the wagon, then a reverse camera isn't quite so nescesary. You pretty much have 15-20 cm from the rear window until the bumper hits the wall. (There is still ooo ahh factor involved for passengers though :D)

I'd go for frount mounting the camera. That way, if you goto a track day, you can wire it up to a video recorder to record your laps. Add a datalogger on top of that, and you can have a full analysis of your driving.

If you have a sedan... that's a different story :P

jayjay99
10-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I have a wagon, I have mounted a camera on the front before but just temporary to do some filming, would be nice to get perminantly mounted one.

nightbeaver
09-08-2007, 12:34 AM
I hope your going to mount your second camera on top of a 2metre high piece of rigid wire (attached to the spoiler), looking towards the front of your car. Then you can drive your car from chase cam, just like in my fav video games! (bit dangerous though..) :D

jayjay99
13-08-2007, 11:37 AM
That would be wicked! I can picture it now! Wonder if something temporary can be constructed. :evilgrin: