PDA

View Full Version : Cooked Amsoil ATF !

Solardavid350
08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
After some very spirited driving today i had the 3rd atf gear stuck and `N` flashing.
I have only just changed the ATF to Amsoil just 2 weeks ago and the full flush too.
Do i get a refund from Amsoil? haha or maybe they will `give` me another 12 litres?
I cooked the oil in just 4 miles FFS albeit around a very twisty uphill mountain road near where i live..but i wouldn`t expect that to happen with the claims about the stuff.
Maybe a better oil cooler time?

MPBVr4
08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
That takes some doing Amsoil is supposed to be rated 100oC higher
than normal. Sounds like you need a cooler or slow down a bit/pan

Solardavid350
08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Whatttt??? Slow down?..nooo never.

I-S
08-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Or there is another problem? Perhaps the system is blocked or airlocked?

However, although the amsoil will resist high-temp breakdown better and tends to run cooler, it won't change the point at which the gearbox electronics call time in terms of temperature.

Wodjno
08-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Or there is another problem? Perhaps the system is blocked or airlocked?

However, although the amsoil will resist high-temp breakdown better and tends to run cooler, it won't change the point at which the gearbox electronics call time in terms of temperature.

Agree with Isaac..

If you check your fluid colour and it's Brown ! Then it's cooked :thinking:

But i bet it's still a rich red colour /yes

I had my "N" light flashing after every lap at the Nurburgring :D

But the Amsoil was still bright red ...

The only way you will stop the "N" light coming on after ragging the gearbox is to fit an aftermarket oil cooler ...

As Isaac says the ECU will always put the gearbox into safe mode once a certain criteria is met /yes

Fit a cooler or you'll be fitting a new gearbox and empying it of top quality Amsoil /pan

Kieran
08-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Wodj and isaac have hit the nail on the head here. The gearbox ECU will still shout for it's mummy at the same temperature, irrespective of the ATF in there. I noticed on track that after a few laps, the shift was more 'slurred' - I had this happen in my GLS too - it was a sign that the ATF was getting hot and a bit thin.... However, after a couple of sessions of combe, I took my GLS home and emptied about 8 litres of coffee out of it. When I got my VR-4 home (after a smooth gearchanging ride back, something that couldn't be said of the GLS!) and the fluid was still red, having dipped it and also emptied some of the sump contents into a jar to double check.

Check your levels and the condition of your fluid; You may be under/over full, and if you have toasted it, then it sounds like you need a better ATF colling solution! As Isaac says, is the standard one maybe plugged up or something?:inquisiti

amsoil
08-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Can't believe you have cooked the fluid, especially in 2 weeks! We have a chap who drag races every other weekend putting 1400 bhp through the box (or was it 1600 but you get the picture) He only changes it at the end of the season as part of his preping for the next seasons abuse. If the fluids changes from bright red PM me and I'll send you a test kit for you to send to an independant Lab. Not trying to pass the buck here but this stuff is stunning and pretty well unbreakable. Without being funny I would think that for Amsoils ATF to fail in 2 days you would have to have it at a temperature well exceeding the melting point of the ally cases never mind the seals. Just check that dip stick!

leevr4
08-07-2007, 09:12 PM
just a quick word about amsoil oils i spoke to don last week about my groaning rear end [ha ha]. hesaid i needed svg oil in the rear diff but he also said it wasnt a mechanic in a bottle, well don im sorry but it is, problem solved no more noises what so ever, cheers don will recomend amsoil to everyone. cheers again lee

Solardavid350
08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
yep its still nice and ruby red and is within the dipstick marks.
As you say maybe the ECU registers the temp and kicks in safe mode.
I was pushing the car and me to the limits mind you and its a very twisty uphill mountain road about 4 miles,so i was putting alot of stress on everything.

But damn did i have a huge grin on my face...with my new brakes,EBC and alloys and tires she can really hold the road and goes like..stink !
This road sorts out the boys from the men , its the A4069 from llandovery to brynamman.but its the bit from Llangadog to brynamman is the bizz, anyone else been on it?
If you go the other way its even more fun,but have brillant brakes if you try to push it !!!!
When i did it 1st time with std brakes they faded after 1 mile and nearly s**t myself when trying to slow for a tight corner.."f**k wheres my brakes ! ?" she took the corner...just !
Thats when i knew for sure i needed brake upgrade.

WildCards
09-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I had a decent drive to, around and out of Llandovery last year. Brilliant roads but as you've said, make sure your brakes are up to scratch.