PDA

View Full Version : The best braking system for my becoming Avance VR-4 left hand drive?

WeVo
08-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi folk,

how you know i'm planing to upgrade my Avance V6 to left hand drive Avance VR-4.
Now i'm looking for a perfect braking system.

The Brake discs should be perforated and slitted.
Can you approve a braking system for example from brembo etc.
Thanks a lot!

Markus

bradc
08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Do you know if your car has the same front brake setup as a normal facelift RHD VR-4? If so you can install a set of brembo brakes straight from an evo5-9

WeVo
08-07-2007, 10:58 PM
No i don't think so. The rear break is very very small for my taste to small for the v6 too!

But how can i descover that?
Thx

Beastlee
09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
If you're converting to VR-4 then you wil need the hubs, discs and calipers to match at the rear so that would solve your problem.

If the front is different then perhaps the same change could be made but ensure you use the parts from a facelift.

I'm sure someone will come along and correct me but the theory works.

bradc
09-07-2007, 09:11 AM
ohh thats a good point. Is the car a 4 stud or 5 stud? If it is 4 stud then you are going to need to replace basically the entire brake assembly.

MarkSanne
09-07-2007, 10:43 AM
This is the setup of my standard V6 (dual piston) brakes on my converted Left Hand Drive V6 'Elegance' -> VR4.

uploaded/1887/1183974170.jpg

The brakes (if it is the dual-piston version) is not that bad. The discs are changed to Brembo's (drilled and slotted).

The brakehoses have been changed to braided stainless (GoodRidge).

You can see a couple of more pictures on this topic (dutch):
http://forum.mitsubishi-owners-club.nl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3437

Beastlee
09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Mark,

Your car is fantastic. I really wish I could change my interior to the black leather with electric seats but they are sooo rare and I'd need all of the black interior panels to match.

Those twin-pot brakes must be more powerful than the VR4 ones? Or have I just not been looking at the VR-4 brakes properly.

Briaded hoses should be on mine in the next month thanks to Dunly!

MarkSanne
09-07-2007, 11:07 AM
@Beastlee: are you telling me the VR4 does not have dual-pot brakes?! (and thanks for the compliment about the car!)

Even though this setup works good, months ago I have bought a set of 3000GT (four-pot!) brakes that bolt on without any problem.

The thing is, I'll need a new set of discs as well and that's where things go wrong/get difficult. The spacing in the 3000GT brakes is very slighty different compared to the dual-pot V6 brakes. Also GoodRidge made a set of set of custom braided stainless hoses to fit (also laying around for months now). So all I need is a proper set of disc brakes.

Ever since my current set of Brembo discs, hoses and brake-pads is just 6 months old (installed the last braided hose just yesterday however...), I think it is a bit of a waste to change now. So I think it will take me some more months of driving with this (fine) setup before installing the 3000GT's (and finding the prober discbrake).

Beastlee
09-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Mark,

I've only done work on the rears, single pot, since I had the car and never paid enough attention when I had the front wheels off to notice.

Something I noticed at the weekend when working on the old SAAB was that the VR-4 brakes are far superior to those fitted to the SAAB 9000 Aero and both cars weigh the same! The Aero isn't much slower either but the brakes are certainly no where near as good as the VR-4!

MarkSanne
09-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Mitsubishi produces good to excellent brakes. The mitsu brake-discs however is (in my opinion and years of personal experience) another thing. I've never had a set on any of my Galants that stayed straight longer than 6 months or so. But there are lots of alternative discs so never any Mitsu-discs for me again! :)

WildCards
09-07-2007, 11:50 AM
VR-4 front brakes are twin pot sliders, and the rears are single. WeVo, I think TheVee and PSBarham have upgraded their V6 brakes if you do a search.