PDA

View Full Version : Esprit forum show what's possible

WildCards
11-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Here’s a really heart-warming story from the Lotus Esprit forum (LEF), showing just what’s possible when online car enthusiasts work together. Site administrator ‘Bibs’ takes up the story:

“In the middle of 2006 a member signed up wanting a new car. He found one and did a straight swap with his concourse Fairlady for a S3 Esprit Turbo. Once home he found it lacking in pretty much all areas - despite a thorough inspection beforehand. Fortunately, Simon Pritchard, or BigSi as we know him, was a dab hand at car restoration and set about the long task of getting his ‘new’ car to the condition he would like to see it in. It would involve many hours of work over many months, or perhaps years, considering the problems with the car.

Unfortunately this was not to be. BigSi’s health conspired against him and he developed Reiters Syndrome on top of his existing lung condition. In turn, this lead to a mini-stroke, or TIA on New Year’s Eve: the first of five in succession. Despite this, BigSi still insisted on working on the car but when I found out that he had passed out in the drive while attempting to remove the rear callipers one day, I decided that enough was enough and it was time that his new friends at LEF stepped in to help, before he did himself some serious damage.

The job was underway: a secret area on our web-based forum was set up that all members bar BigSi could see, read and add to. He didn’t even know it existed so was completely in the dark about our plans. Our initial appeal for donations towards parts was overwhelming with hundreds of people who had never met BigSi - many of whom are abroad and are unlikely to ever do so - sending us what they could spare.

Our chief mechanic for the project, Troy Halliday was now refusing payment for his time as long as the smurf jokes stopped (he’s 5’ 5”!) and an LEF member in Wales, Simon Thomas, offered his garage, spare rooms and hospitality until the work was completed. We assembled a parts list of what we needed, Troy took BigSi’s car away on the auspice that it was to head with him to his garage in Hertfordshire so he could ‘hopefully get it running again’ and we were underway in our secret location 20 miles from BigSi’s home town.

Over the next five weeks literally hundreds of parts were fitted to the car with people from all over the UK heading to South Wales to help out. Members of LEF from Lancashire, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Hampshire, Kent and so on came along with spanners and oily things on the weekends while the three main men; Troy, Simon and Punky worked away all week, sometimes starting at 7am and working until 4am the next day. Along with all the hard work much fun was had with midnight BBQ’s and donations of beer arriving unexpectedly to ease the workers’ weary bones.

The work completed on the car would take up 7 pages in a list, so let’s say that the car was stripped of its engine, gearbox, all suspension parts and radiators, and all were either replaced with brand new OEM parts in most cases, or thoroughly restored to ‘as new’ condition. The engine was also given a full rebuild and the suspension replaced with the new Lotus developed Bilstein and Eibach setup. The chassis also received a full strip and repaint with protective paints to make it look as good as new and last another 20+ years. Our estimates are that somewhere in the region of 2,000 man hours were put into this work on the car, with many more hours spent behind the scenes sourcing parts, picking parts up and other associated activities.

The handover to BigSi was also a secret of course, planned entirely without his knowledge and keeping that from him wasn’t easy! Club Lotus hold an annual track day for its members at Castle Combe in Wiltshire and the plan was to have him trackside as his newly restored car whizzed past on the track. This was arranged with thanks to Alan Morgan of Club Lotus and the plan was set, however, we shelved the track idea following an accident the week before after which BigSi mentioned on the forum that he would never, ever take his car on the track…

55 Esprit’s turned up for the day and approximately 100 people - all keeping Mum about what was to happen. At 2pm, Alan Morgan led out in his Excel closely followed by Simon Thomas and Punky in BigSi’s car. The big man was shocked to say the least, and a very emotional afternoon followed with him seeing all the hard work which had been put into making his not so great Esprit into one of the finest looking and running Giugiaro Esprit’s on the road today.

Thanks must go to all the members of LEF who donated money, time, parts, expertise and beer to the project. Also, Lotus Cars for their help with sourcing parts and technical advice, Club Lotus for allowing the handover to happen on their trackday, South West Lotus for all of their assistance with parts, PNM Engineering, ESPRITism and Frosts for the supply of materials to us.”

I've got a bit of a cold at the minute, and the 205 needs finishing if you feel like opening up the super secret forum :p

MPBVr4
11-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Incredible generosity from the Lotus community. We have seen examples of this in CVR4 where members have gone beyond the call of duty to help others.

However, you've made your bed ......................./pan

BraindG
11-07-2007, 11:20 AM
fantastic, thats indeed what communities should be like, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside :D

Brunty
11-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I've got a bit of a cold at the minute, and the 205 needs finishing if you feel like opening up the super secret forum :p

*gallic shrug*

:happy:

I-S
11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I seem to recall a secret forum has been used here in the past...

White Lightning
11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Top story :thumbsup:

Are there any pics of the finished car?

WildCards
11-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Top story :thumbsup:

Are there any pics of the finished car?

Maybe on the LEF forum, link is in here (http://www.pistonheads.com/lotus/default.asp?storyId=16468)

stuey
11-07-2007, 01:59 PM
always really heartwarming to hear of stories like this....

Physician
11-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Good find Steve ......... thanks for posting it up for us.

I'd be a bit wary of us lot helping you out though .................. seems Members coming to help you drink all your booze. :thinking:

djwarden
11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Dibs on the beer providing job!/bounce :beerchug: :beerchug:

WildCards
11-07-2007, 02:38 PM
seems Members coming to help you drink all your booze. :thinking:

I don't see many members having an issue with this to be honest.

It is a nice, heart warming story though, I'd imagine the bloke was overwhelmed when presented with his car though, what could you ever do to repay such kindness?

WildCards
11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Some chatter in here (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=17&t=413614&i=0) from people involved and the man himself and some YouTube videos.

Vid 01 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NNmPJ5GXjU) This will tug those heart strings
Vid 02 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxm7kYI5EKI) Longer video showing the whole rebuild process

many thanks for the kind words guys.

the members of the forum went above and beyond on this one, i had no clue what was going on even on the day upto the last minute.

i had to make an impromptue speech on the day, but i think i covered it up in a few short words " lef is not just a forum or internet community, its mre than that its a family, a family that im proud to be a part of and im proud to have you all as my family" What i said was from my heart, these guys have been my support over the past few months, and my wife has been beside me every step of the way.

we have had a very rough past few years, however, we have never complained, never sought help and got on with things, the illness meant i lost a few jobs but i went back looking for work the very next day i could, i was not prepared to give in. I now have my own business which i have ran since the doctors refused to sign me fit for work, im like the old dog that wont go down, since new years i have had to slow down and put things on a back burner.

I still have problems everyday and its a constant re-learning curve and struggle, yet i am getting there, im more independant now and i lookforward to each new day with my wife and baby son.

For any community to get together and support a person they have never met or spoken to, people from other continents giving support makes you have to stand back.

in this day and age of uncertainty and fears, this brings a welcome ray of sunshine and hope to us all, it shows that inside us all there is still a soul and a good one at that, it shows that reguardless of nationalities, religions, or colour we as a race, as a people can cme together for a common good at a time when its needed most.

Everyday i am reminded that we all have something inside us a capacity for good in times of adversity and heartache.

I applaude everyone involved in this project and for the continued support we still recive from members and wellwishers even now.

we took the car to gaydon supercar sunday and it was taken into the arena for a public talk, many thanks to the gaydon staff.

it appeared in a local classic car show recently and drew many people to it, i spent much time talking about it with people.

this sunday it is due at the south west festival of motoring shw with a few other esprits.

both myself and kelly wish you all thanks and we look forward to presenting the car at as many shows as we can.

so i would once again like to thank everyone involved in this conspiracy and project, i look forward to returning the goodwill.

simon, kelly & cameron pritchard

SGHOM
11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
ok.... I cried. :baby: so what ??

bernmc
11-07-2007, 03:53 PM
I need another 150BHP out of my car, and around 5 grand to do the things I want. I'll be collapsing on the drive this saturday.

Get a bloody move on you lot :|

WildCards
11-07-2007, 04:40 PM
I need another 150BHP out of my car, and around 5 grand to do the things I want. I'll be collapsing on the drive this saturday.

Get in line sheep boy!!

bernmc
11-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Get in line sheep boy!!

No-one is going to help you with french ****, Firestarter!

And my need is greater - never mind the sniffles, I'll be collapsing in a heap :o!

Nutter_John
11-07-2007, 07:54 PM

Well give you and extra 150 bhp , just remove the brakes to save weight and turn the boost right up , may not last long but you go out with a bang :p

Nice story , can't see us lot on here ever doing anything like that for anyone

Funkstar
11-07-2007, 09:38 PM

I disagree. I'd be more than happy to get involved to help out a CVR4 friend in trouble. Wouldn't be much use, but I could chip in with the odd word of encouragment and pass some tools. :happy:

Crossbow
11-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Yes I can see this happen I might have a some tools to pass on as well if it helps/whip but the job to pass the beers on sound like my kind of job:beerchug:

djwarden
12-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Dibs on the beer providing job!/bounce :beerchug: :beerchug:

Sorry Crossbow beat you to it... :afro:

Kieran
12-07-2007, 08:34 AM

It already has... I'll never forget our dining room when returned after our wedding day!! BDA orchestrated that lot, but only because so many club members chivvied in!:iloveyou: :iloveyou: :iloveyou:

I-S
12-07-2007, 08:55 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8290

Unfortunately the hidden thread is now hidden to all members... Perhaps it could be made public now (although I don't remember everything that was said in it... I think K has seen it anyway).

Nick Mann
12-07-2007, 01:45 PM
The BBC have run the story too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6292354.stm

vr4moose
12-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Here’s a really heart-warming story from the Lotus Esprit forum (LEF), showing just what’s possible when online car enthusiasts work together. Site administrator ‘Bibs’ takes up the story:

“In the middle of 2006 a member signed up wanting a new car. He found one and did a straight swap with his concourse Fairlady for a S3 Esprit Turbo. Once home he found it lacking in pretty much all areas - despite a thorough inspection beforehand. Fortunately, Simon Pritchard, or BigSi as we know him, was a dab hand at car restoration and set about the long task of getting his ‘new’ car to the condition he would like to see it in. It would involve many hours of work over many months, or perhaps years, considering the problems with the car.

Unfortunately this was not to be. BigSi’s health conspired against him and he developed Reiters Syndrome on top of his existing lung condition. In turn, this lead to a mini-stroke, or TIA on New Year’s Eve: the first of five in succession. Despite this, BigSi still insisted on working on the car but when I found out that he had passed out in the drive while attempting to remove the rear callipers one day, I decided that enough was enough and it was time that his new friends at LEF stepped in to help, before he did himself some serious damage.

The job was underway: a secret area on our web-based forum was set up that all members bar BigSi could see, read and add to. He didn’t even know it existed so was completely in the dark about our plans. Our initial appeal for donations towards parts was overwhelming with hundreds of people who had never met BigSi - many of whom are abroad and are unlikely to ever do so - sending us what they could spare.

Our chief mechanic for the project, Troy Halliday was now refusing payment for his time as long as the smurf jokes stopped (he’s 5’ 5”!) and an LEF member in Wales, Simon Thomas, offered his garage, spare rooms and hospitality until the work was completed. We assembled a parts list of what we needed, Troy took BigSi’s car away on the auspice that it was to head with him to his garage in Hertfordshire so he could ‘hopefully get it running again’ and we were underway in our secret location 20 miles from BigSi’s home town.

Over the next five weeks literally hundreds of parts were fitted to the car with people from all over the UK heading to South Wales to help out. Members of LEF from Lancashire, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Hampshire, Kent and so on came along with spanners and oily things on the weekends while the three main men; Troy, Simon and Punky worked away all week, sometimes starting at 7am and working until 4am the next day. Along with all the hard work much fun was had with midnight BBQ’s and donations of beer arriving unexpectedly to ease the workers’ weary bones.

The work completed on the car would take up 7 pages in a list, so let’s say that the car was stripped of its engine, gearbox, all suspension parts and radiators, and all were either replaced with brand new OEM parts in most cases, or thoroughly restored to ‘as new’ condition. The engine was also given a full rebuild and the suspension replaced with the new Lotus developed Bilstein and Eibach setup. The chassis also received a full strip and repaint with protective paints to make it look as good as new and last another 20+ years. Our estimates are that somewhere in the region of 2,000 man hours were put into this work on the car, with many more hours spent behind the scenes sourcing parts, picking parts up and other associated activities.

The handover to BigSi was also a secret of course, planned entirely without his knowledge and keeping that from him wasn’t easy! Club Lotus hold an annual track day for its members at Castle Combe in Wiltshire and the plan was to have him trackside as his newly restored car whizzed past on the track. This was arranged with thanks to Alan Morgan of Club Lotus and the plan was set, however, we shelved the track idea following an accident the week before after which BigSi mentioned on the forum that he would never, ever take his car on the track…

55 Esprit’s turned up for the day and approximately 100 people - all keeping Mum about what was to happen. At 2pm, Alan Morgan led out in his Excel closely followed by Simon Thomas and Punky in BigSi’s car. The big man was shocked to say the least, and a very emotional afternoon followed with him seeing all the hard work which had been put into making his not so great Esprit into one of the finest looking and running Giugiaro Esprit’s on the road today.

Thanks must go to all the members of LEF who donated money, time, parts, expertise and beer to the project. Also, Lotus Cars for their help with sourcing parts and technical advice, Club Lotus for allowing the handover to happen on their trackday, South West Lotus for all of their assistance with parts, PNM Engineering, ESPRITism and Frosts for the supply of materials to us.”

I've got a bit of a cold at the minute, and the 205 needs finishing if you feel like opening up the super secret forum :p Great story...very touching. I must say that bernmc helped me out, when i bought my pipework from NZ, He went and fetched it from docks, and even brought it to my home and put it in my garage safe for me... it does happen in this life.