PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Smokey Exhaust

d i c k i e s
16-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Need help,

I just took my leggie for a drive.... driving reasonably okay... reasonably i mean i wasnt going over 120km. i was at least going 100km uphill and manage to look back in the mirror for traffic, now what happened was when i looked back, the exhaust was smoking hard... by that i mean thick clouds of smoke.

stopped at my cousins on the way as soon as i saw it, had a look underneath the car.. nothing spilling from there (back and front of car)... he reckons did u change oil? i said i had put some in on the weekend. ie. saturday arvo.

He reckons, i might have put too much in, and its trying to get rid of excess oil? if that makes sense... i took his word for it, and he just reckons to drive it off.

So, what should i do.. whenever i plant my foot down (you know how we do being in a VR4 etc... ) thats when it somkes hard... now it aint so bad... the smoke is more blackish now., what do you think i should do.

mpau009
16-07-2007, 05:16 AM
Did you use a 30 weight oil by chance? I swapped mine from 5w-40 to 5w-30 about a month ago, and iv noticed considerably more black/grey smoke if i floor it. It all but goes away when its warm, but if i pull out of work hard, it leaves a big hazy mess behind:thinking:

I havent noticed any change in oil temp or pressure, and it doesnt seem to use any at this point, but yeah its really un-nerving, i think it probably means the turbos are getting a bit tired..

d i c k i e s
16-07-2007, 05:20 AM
i think i did... 15w-30.
yup same here.. no change in oil temp etc... just alota smoke when foot is planted to the floor...

it just worries me a bit, cos ive maintained her pretty well, last thing i need is it to cut or something on me.

pitslayer
16-07-2007, 05:50 AM
what colour is the smoke

d i c k i e s
16-07-2007, 05:57 AM
at first it was... thick grey/white....(colour of a burnout) now ive driven around a bit its just black.

pitslayer
16-07-2007, 06:55 AM
grey white is sometimes sign of headgasket going, is it black black, or is it bluey black, bluey black is oil burning... the only time ive had black smoke come out of my cars is A. ones a diesel lol and the other was my generator was buggered and the battery was so dead it just fire black smoke out.... checked the oil level since? it could be the oil i supposed but oil is usually a bluey black, well thats what ive always found

d i c k i e s
16-07-2007, 07:40 AM
after driving home:
at the moment its kinda hard to tell... it was a bluey black, now i cant really tell.(dark outside). when i start the car ummmm its grey white then black...

now its starting to chug. like ur bout to stall. (i have tiptronic)

just correction on oil... it was 15w40 (Shell Brand) - im guessing i shouldnt have used it...

bradc
16-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Mike - your car always has black smoke coming out of it!

Dickies - maybe it has a bit too much oil in it, was it only when you were flooring it, or just when driving normally?

Ohh and I wouldn't put 15w40 into a VR-4, especially if it isn't fully synthetic. Go for some nice 0w30 or 5w30 fully synth :D

pitslayer
16-07-2007, 08:16 AM
think this down to the wrong oil, thats a bit thick to be honest, probably just clogging it all up, like brad says, get some thinner oil :) maybe engine flush aswell, shame to waste oil aswell, it aint cheap these days, companys seem to price oil up as if its nessercary to making a car run, idiots when will they learn oil is just a novelty lol

hope its wrong oil thow, dont take my word for it thow, i dont know that much about these engines

bradc
16-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Just look at the 15w40 as a flush. Thats what I do, put in 4 litres of cheapish semi synth, drive around for a day, then come back and get another filter + change of oil to 0w30 fully synth :D

d i c k i e s
16-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Dickies - maybe it has a bit too much oil in it, was it only when you were flooring it, or just when driving normally?

its both bradc... when flooring it... smokes... driving normal smokes (not as much tho)

d i c k i e s
16-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Just look at the 15w40 as a flush. Thats what I do, put in 4 litres of cheapish semi synth, drive around for a day, then come back and get another filter + change of oil to 0w30 fully synth :D

you reckon it would work? cos at the moment i dont wanna drive it at all tomorrow.... im scared it might just crap out and blow up or something. ohh and it had a few little backfires.. and i wasnt in the car reving it or anything. i was at the back checking the exhaust.

Subaru ETA
16-07-2007, 09:52 AM
yeah id say its too much oil

also 30 oils make them smoek if the valvle stem seals are on there way out. quite common on mitsi v6...

d i c k i e s
16-07-2007, 10:19 AM
what should i do?

You See
16-07-2007, 11:19 AM
he reckons did u change oil? i said i had put some in on the weekend. ie. saturday arvo.
Full oil change or just topped up? ..if it was just topped up, was it the same grade? ..mixing the new with the old could contaminate it. /pan
Probably best to drain and fill with new oil with the above recommendation. I myself use Magnatec and Pro-ma additive and it works a treat! It's only semi-synthetic but haven't had any issues..plus it's usually on special at Supercheap! :iloveyou:
Good luck and keep us updated.

peter thomson
16-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I would try and check the cylinder compression values in case the head gasket has blown as the grey/white smoke on start up points to that .It may also have failed between 2 cylinders and that is why you are getting some backfiring. I have heard of channels being cut in the head and block when this happens from the hot gases going between the 2 cylinders.

d i c k i e s
16-07-2007, 07:29 PM
just topped up, with different oil...

d i c k i e s
16-07-2007, 09:46 PM
I would try and check the cylinder compression values in case the head gasket has blown as the grey/white smoke on start up points to that .It may also have failed between 2 cylinders and that is why you are getting some backfiring. I have heard of channels being cut in the head and block when this happens from the hot gases going between the 2 cylinders.

im not that car savy... dont know what im lookin for. :thinking:

d i c k i e s
17-07-2007, 03:49 AM
ive come to the conlcusion that i will need to take it in to get an oil change and filter.

Pitsop Porirua have quoted me $95-$105
Porirua Motors have quoted me $120

i would do this if i could? but i cant... couldnt find anything on how to change oil on this forum.

mpau009
17-07-2007, 04:02 AM
ive come to the conlcusion that i will need to take it in to get an oil change and filter.

Pitsop Porirua have quoted me $95-$105
Porirua Motors have quoted me $120

i would do this if i could? but i cant... couldnt find anything on how to change oil on this forum.

:afro: Do it your self, the reason theres no article, is because it really is that simple. you'll save yourself an easy $40-50 on those prices, and you can make sure you get decent oil.

I think it was around $70-odd for an oil and filter combo from repco, with some of that engine flush additive.

With that, you just put the flush in and leave the car on a fast idle for 10-15 minutes, which is enough time to jack the front up.

Then you turn the car off, and take out the sump plug (oil is really hot at this point, but i think its worth it)

Then, unscrew the oil filter, usually all i need is a rag, but a belt will help if you get stuck.

Take the oil filler cover off, to let the vacuum go, and wait for the oil to stop.

Then re-do in reverse.

Honestly unless youv got mechanical insurance, the last thing you want to do is waste good money paying someone to change you oil...

d i c k i e s
17-07-2007, 04:45 AM
Awesome bro. thanks or that.

if i had pictures to help me out i would do it... Honestly... i just dont have the tools to do it... my gf will kill me if i even attempted it, without knowing what im doing.

mpau009
17-07-2007, 05:02 AM
:scholar: Okey Dokey, sump, under the drivers side, sump plug on the back of it, filter in the middle by the front (freshly bashed up) downpipe.

Excuses remaining = 0:pimp2:

All you need is a 17mm socket, or spanner, or even an adjustable.

Come on, you know you want to..:happy:

It really is that simple, and then you just fill it up again, making sure to check the level a few times as the oil settles. Only thing to watch is that when you let the car down again the oil level moves a bit, especially if like me you like to jack the front really high for extra space.

Also, dont go nuts tightening the sump plug, or you'll damage the little washer which forms the seal.

Goku
17-07-2007, 05:28 AM
Also use axle stands.... always !

rayray24
17-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Dude i'm free tomorrow if you want me to come out and give you a hand?? I always change my own oil every 5000kms. Just pm me if you do.

d i c k i e s
17-07-2007, 10:52 AM
cool... ill let you know... i dont have any tools. i.e axel stands. and a proper jack.

what i need to do is save a bit more for oil and filter.

d i c k i e s
17-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Excuses remaining = 0:pimp2:

hahaha... ur a crack up bro.

rayray24
17-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Sweet as man. I have all of the tools you need. but i'm off to taupo on monday so if you need a hand it'll have to be this week aye.

d i c k i e s
17-07-2007, 11:47 AM
cool bro... ive also asked my mate to do it. $100 for him to change oil and filter. (he hasnt given me an answer yet)

rayray24
17-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Aye i won't charge you man. $100 sounds like pit stop prices to me. It's really easy, if you watch it been done then you can do it yourself next time.

d i c k i e s
17-07-2007, 12:01 PM
HONEST? if you can, and you have time... im keen bro. ill send u a PM

d i c k i e s
17-07-2007, 12:10 PM
what u reckon bout this? is this enough or good enough?

4L Mobil Super S 10W-40
Synthetic oil
Supreme performance Motor Oil.

rayray24
17-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Good oil man i use magna-tec 10w-30, But that will be good.

bradc
17-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I'd try to go with a 0w or 5w oil

d i c k i e s
18-07-2007, 01:31 AM
i just brought the above oil for $36.00

started the car up this morning... smoked hard again. didnt want to drive it (looks shame) i would drive it, if it was old dunga. but for smoke to come out of a car like mine is just wrong.

d i c k i e s
19-07-2007, 01:28 AM
UPDATE:

all sorted now, went over to rayrays pad last night... had help from his brother who was also keen and funny as!! . Appreciate it rayray. Thanks again bro. I owe you one. (check pm)

Car is running alot smoother, no lag and sh!t like before. Damn thing sounded like a damn subbie. (felt okay last night before the oil change, but feels even more better with the change).

Had a few issues, the bolt wasnt 17mm? i think it was 23mm wasnt it rayray?

Shocking pictures to follow later this arvo.

d i c k i e s
19-07-2007, 03:16 AM
Heres the pics from last night:

Oil bout to go in at this stage

The AFTERMATH!!! - This is a 6 Litre pan? (whole thing was full.)

Oil filter put in at this stage...

Draining oil into first 4 Litre Bottle

2nd bottle now!

Oil being poured in at this stage

Thats gonna a leave a mark... (Sorry Bro!!)

Everything all set, ready to go!

CANDEE
19-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Looks like everything is all sorted.. :)

Oh and nice red top battery.. :)

rayray24
19-07-2007, 03:56 AM
Umm yeah that was quite a bit of oil. The bolt was a strange size 23mm. That oil (which just missed) came out sweet.

I'm alway happy to help other member man anytime.

VR4 MAD
19-07-2007, 04:30 AM
Did you forget to put the undertray back on or.................are you missing this vital plastic stuff ??? Shame on you. /pan

Do a search on here regarding the importance on these bits to good cooling efficiency.

Good job with the help there Rayray.

/toycar

d i c k i e s
19-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Looks like everything is all sorted.. :)

Oh and nice red top battery.. :)

thanks, yeah ive heard its a good battery... it will have to be i guess to run everything.

d i c k i e s
19-07-2007, 04:45 AM
Did you forget to put the undertray back on or.................are you missing this vital plastic stuff ??? Shame on you. /pan

Do a search on here regarding the importance on these bits to good cooling efficiency.

Good job with the help there Rayray.

/toycar

what plastic stuff... cant remember if there ever was? /pan
Thanks again to rayray... misus is thankfull too. :inquisiti

CANDEE
19-07-2007, 04:49 AM
thanks, yeah ive heard its a good battery... it will have to be i guess to run everything.

They arent bad.. :) Ive got a yellow top in mine.. :) They are great if you a decent stereo in the car.. :)

d i c k i e s
19-07-2007, 05:23 AM
yeah ive got the Double DIN CD/MiniDisc Kenwood System... dont like it.. wanna get rid of it. it came with the car... so had no choice.

VR4 MAD
19-07-2007, 11:25 PM
yeah ive got the Double DIN CD/MiniDisc Kenwood System...came with the car....

Could well be the same unit that came with my first silver VR4. Motorised fold down fascia with MiniDisc slot behind??? Lots and lots of bl**dy flashing coloured lights on the display too.............if you like that sort of thing..../pan

If you need the manual for it, let me know the model number as I've got PDF versions for a variety of Kenwood models. Already passed on one to Dixon8 for his unit from a NZ new VR4.

/toycar

d i c k i e s
23-07-2007, 01:18 AM
I got the manual for it. Yeah, wanna get rid of it and get me single din.

Kenwood DPX-990MD.