PDA

View Full Version : Eagle F1 GS-D3 Bargain!

timiano
17-07-2007, 02:40 PM
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

I think that represents rather good value!

I-S
17-07-2007, 03:06 PM
+£10 each for fitting, valving and balancing. For the most part, it's not worth it I've found. Certainly Kumho tyres can be obtained locally fitted valved and balanced for less than the mytyres price. My new goodyears would have worked out a little cheaper through mytyres, but I am not at home to have them delivered, and I'd have had to have taken them to the tyre place, etc and I got the tracking done for free, so although the headline price locally was a little higher, once everything was taken into account then it was a better deal.

White Lightning
17-07-2007, 03:08 PM
+£10 each for fitting, valving and balancing. For the most part, it's not worth it I've found.

It is if you've got a mate who fits tyres and does it for the cost of a couple of beers ... :smug:

WildCards
17-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Fitting is £5 a corner at a lot of places in Leicester i've found, but Isaac's right, I think alot of compaies have had to start being very competitive with their prices since so many people started buying online.

I-S
17-07-2007, 03:29 PM
White lightning - sure. Always good to know people.

But my point is just that it's worth ringing around. Don't bother with the chains like crap-fit, hi-q, ats, etc. Smaller local places are generally better (eg Pro-fit in oldham, Micheldever tyres in hampshire). Some are awful (one I put the phone down when one of the first questions they asked me was "new or part worn?". Another the guy barely spoke english "You come in shop you give me money we talk"). If you have the time to be at home and get them delivered and know someone or are prepared to sort the whole thing out then mytyres can be worth it, but the hassle and taking time out from my holiday allowance to save £5 a corner doesn't always add up.

timiano
17-07-2007, 04:43 PM
White lightning - sure. Always good to know people.

But my point is just that it's worth ringing around. Don't bother with the chains like crap-fit, hi-q, ats, etc. Smaller local places are generally better (eg Pro-fit in oldham, Micheldever tyres in hampshire). Some are awful (one I put the phone down when one of the first questions they asked me was "new or part worn?". Another the guy barely spoke english "You come in shop you give me money we talk"). If you have the time to be at home and get them delivered and know someone or are prepared to sort the whole thing out then mytyres can be worth it, but the hassle and taking time out from my holiday allowance to save £5 a corner doesn't always add up.

After a lot of ringing around, the cheapest I could get fitted was just over £400. Even online, using various I could only find them fitted for the same, or about £370 delivered.

But, I do have a mate who does it for a living, who'll do it for the price of a few beers. And, the missus only works part time. £317 is a massive saving for me.

I-S
17-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Fair enough, good deal then!

stuartturbo
17-07-2007, 10:10 PM
must admit that mytyres for me where more than local suppliers went to krapfix for 225/35/18 for £400 after phoning round originally they wanted £1000??? in other local branch. SOME difference??
blackcircle where good but still more than the local place that they could send them to be fitted?? National tyre where running an offer

I-S
17-07-2007, 10:26 PM
National tyre aren't bad. Ebley tyres (in gloucestershire area) are AWFUL.

timiano
16-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Just thought I'd say,

I've had the GSD3s on for a while now, and although not used them in complete anger, I would say that I preferred the Toyo Proxies.

They're a good tyre, but I think it's the sidewall that is a bit softer, so there seems to be a little more roll when cornering, and the steering feels a little more retarded, rather than sharp and direct.

Grip they may, but point you in the right direction at the shove of the wheel, so-so.

Tim

Davezj
16-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Whats all this about getting them delivered at home. Get them delivered to work. bobs you uncle.
They can't be that anal at work to stop you getting them delivered there, can they.

Spirit
16-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Always been an advocate of GSD-3's and would recommend them to anyone, but last 4 sets have been FK-452's due to savings and the rate I kill them.

I must admit though, after a wet day at Spa, I may follow Mr Vee's recommendation and try the Toyo's next.

timiano
16-10-2007, 10:57 PM
One thing I forgot to mention.

Is the road noise with the Eagle F1 GSD3s is 16 gazillion times better than the Toyo Proxies. Not silent, but a very good tyre for cruising miles of motorway.

It's not that I wouldn't recommend them, I just think that the Toyos feel like they were more suited to track driving - regardless of wet conditions. I can see why the GSD3s would be rated a better road tyre though.

ianturbo
16-10-2007, 11:47 PM
i have 225/45 / 17 on my enkile things ,is this wrong size ??
ian
and is this why i'm goin through tyres like lewis ??

timiano
17-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Nah, I don't think so.

I think it means they'll just be a little touch more stretched, and offer less protection to kerbing.

Someone with more experience will probably confirm though.

bradc
17-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Ian, how big are your wheels?

ianturbo
17-10-2007, 01:47 PM
19633mitsi enkle things 17+8 i think
ian

timiano
17-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeh, your rubber doesn't protrude as much as mine. I have exactly the same wheels btw.

PS: You could fit a small horse between your wheels and arches...get it low!

The Vee
17-10-2007, 03:39 PM
One thing I forgot to mention.

Is the road noise with the Eagle F1 GSD3s is 16 gazillion times better than the Toyo Proxies. Not silent, but a very good tyre for cruising miles of motorway.

It's not that I wouldn't recommend them, I just think that the Toyos feel like they were more suited to track driving - regardless of wet conditions. I can see why the GSD3s would be rated a better road tyre though.

Hmmm wonder if that's coz they're new. While I rated the GSD3s very good and quiet, found the Toyo no noisier and on some roads quiter. Were yours the latest "R" spec. Would agree with the tyrewall comment. As I mentioned elsewhere, I think you can possibly feel smaller things like joints in road surfaces a little more but only as a notice the difference type thing. Rated GSD3 No1 for ages but for me the latest Toyo just pipped them especially in the wet.

ianturbo
17-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeh, your rubber doesn't protrude as much as mine. I have exactly the same wheels btw.

PS: You could fit a small horse between your wheels and arches...get it low!
/YMaster , i only had it a few months yet give me time !!
ian

russcook
17-10-2007, 05:28 PM
19633mitsi enkle things 17+8 i think
ian

I have 235/45/17s TOYOs on my Enkeis.

stuey
17-10-2007, 06:52 PM
the newer Toyo Proxies are very popular among the TVR crowd, who are generally very 'sporting' drivers. Was gonna go for the Gsd3's, but might try the Toyo's as mine need replacing soon..

stuartturbo
17-10-2007, 08:08 PM
one of the car mag does have the tyre review this month but cannot remeber what one doh

bradc
17-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Those wheels were specced with 235/45 from Mitsi originally on evo's, but 225/45 is perfectly fine as well to run on them.