PDA

View Full Version : Another damn newbie to educate!

simmyoto
17-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Hi all,

I came across the Legnum earlier this week on my travels through ebay motors as i am on the hunt for a new motor with a bit of poke.

I'm a 25 yr old reformed biker from grimsby. I recently sold my honda blackbird and have instead been pottering around in a work supplied 05 Clio which feels like driving a shopping trolley!

after doing my research i found this wonderful site dedicated to the vr4- i must say it has been extremely useful- especially the buyers guide.

So here i am, i'm looking for a legnum actually, i liked the idea of the tiptronic initially but after seeing the info about it's problems on here i might go for a manual instead.

I'm off over to a car import company called ebony and ivory in s****horpe later in the week to have a look at a couple of legnums in stock ther, but if anyone on here is looking to move on a good car at a reasonable price i would be ver interested.

Rob!

thecustomer
17-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi & welcome

I wouldn't worry too much about the auto box - it's the fluids inside them that are the problem. /pan

A good flush & amsoil atf might set you back £150 - but makes a huge difference to the box's everyday performance.

imho

:happy:
Will

Nick VR4
17-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi and Welcome

Ebony and Ivory are members on here as well

Nick Mann
17-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Take heed of Wills advice. The auto is fine if it has the right oil in it. Most peoples issues with it are lack of maintenance or incorrect maintenance.

Good luck in your search!

simmyoto
17-07-2007, 06:22 PM
what is generally thought to be better? a fresh import or a car thats been in the uk for a few years with a service history for those years?

Crickle
17-07-2007, 06:27 PM
s****horpe later in the week
Lol sorry i never noticed that s****horpe had a swear word in the middle lol! WTG!!!

I wonder what other words are like that on here!!:inquisiti

BTW, welcome Simmy :)

thecustomer
17-07-2007, 07:49 PM
what is generally thought to be better? a fresh import or a car thats been in the uk for a few years with a service history for those years?

good question

I think "it depends"

- a fresh import from one of the better importers, with known auction grade (preferably grade 4), 2 sets of keys, handbooks etc, undersealed, converted to Miles, derestricted, with a warranty, should give you a feeling of security

- so too should a UK car, that's been serviced regularly, with receipts.

Chances are that good quality will be reflected in the price
And chances are that a well maintained car will pay you back with fewer surp£rises.

Will

simmyoto
17-07-2007, 09:05 PM
so what sorpt of price should i be looking at for a decent legnum then? i have seen prices varing from as little as £3200 up to £7000- realistically my budget is around £4500 - £5000 do you think this will be enough to secure a decent car?

bradc
17-07-2007, 09:22 PM
If you're looking for a 1996 Legnum then 4500 will get you a damned good car. If you are searching for a newer car like a 1999 or something, expect to get an average car for that price.

simmyoto
17-07-2007, 09:34 PM
not too overly concerned abut age- its milage and car quality im after, anyone know any going other than those in the classifieds?

ANTHONY
18-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Lol sorry i never noticed that s****horpe had a swear word in the middle lol! WTG!!!

I wonder what other words are like that on here :)/Hijackcould be the start of a new game

simmyoto
19-07-2007, 09:10 AM
So if i was to buy a legnum what work would people recommend immediately for "peace of mind", usually when i buy a car or bike i always put it in for a service just to be sure, what would a fluid and filters service cost me for a legnum? and does anyone know of anywhere nearish to the grimsby area who is capable of doing it properly?

Nick Mann
19-07-2007, 10:31 AM
WRD motorsport on here is a group of people who know more about the VR4 than anyone else. They are based in Stoke.

There are articles in the members section telling you how to do the fluid changes everywhere if you want to DIY. The auto box needs a compatable oil to give you peace of mind, so look at spending a good amount on 10 litres of Amsoil ATF for a full flush. I have used dexron III, then with an added friction modifier, then finally Amsoil and I would certainly recommend the Amsoil, even with the associated cost.

The cam belt is an every 45000 miles jobbie, and with 4 cams and no room to work it is not a cheap job, so budget for that if there is no record of a change.

simmyoto
19-07-2007, 11:06 AM
One more question- Type s ? ? is there a difference between a vr4 and a vr4 type s- i have seen them both advertised and was just wondering if there was actually a model difference or if some people just don't put type s on there adverts.

Nick Mann
19-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Both!

The Type-S before the facelift had TCL and ASC on top of the AYC that the standard car had.
After the facelift the standard VR4 was dropped, the Type-V was introduced with no AYC and the Type-S lost the TCL.

To be frank, there is not much to be gained with TCL. I for one think it spoils the driveability of the VR4 when you are pressing on. When looking at adverts, the colour/trim/gearbox type is far more important to look at than whether the owner is calling it a Type-S or not!

simmyoto
19-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Mr Mann seems to be the Clubvr4 oracle! all info is very much appreciated, initially i was looking for a Leather interior, but seeing the price cars with this fetch i think i may have a cloth and have it re-covered, would anyone advise against this?

Lillywotsername
19-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Mr Mann seems to be the Clubvr4 oracle!
You can tell that you are new to the site...... ;) :) The oracle of the club would be Professor Kieran... /haz

Kieran
19-07-2007, 05:37 PM
You can tell that you are new to the site...... ;) :) The oracle of the club would be Professor Kieran... /haz

:iloveyou: :iloveyou: :iloveyou:

Extra cupboard love for Lilly this weekend! ;) ;)

Welcome, simmyoto! Nick's covered everything I think, there's loads of info and many knowledgable members on here, so enjoy! /Welcome

simmyoto
19-07-2007, 08:11 PM
i'm plnning on coming to the JAE on sunday so may just get to meet some of you!

Nick Mann
19-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Aye! Kieran knows a lot more cr@p than me. But please come and see us - we can talk about equipment and specifications until you are bored to tears!!

thecustomer
19-07-2007, 10:59 PM
i'm plnning on coming to the JAE on sunday so may just get to meet some of you!

freshmeat
freshmeat
freshmeat

they'll tell you everything you need to know
and a heck of a lot that you don't
/pan

simmyoto
19-07-2007, 11:14 PM
lol, i look forward to it, might even pay my membership dues on the day so i can get me one of those special key-rings that i've heard so much about!

simmyoto
20-07-2007, 08:08 AM
BOV or Recalculating BOV?
ok, am i right in thinking a BOV is what i used to think of as a dump valve? i.e. a valve that releases the pressure from the turbo after the accelerator is released giving that telling woosh sound and a recalculating bof re-circulates the excess pressure to the exhaust therefore not giving the woosh?

if i am is there any performance benefit from the recalculating bov over the standard type bov?

Nick Mann
20-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Our expert in the membership field will probably not be there on the day, so it is probably better to do the membership thing on-line. But come and meet us first! We might put you off......

Your assumptions are correct regarding recirculating/vent-to-atmosphere dump valves. The cars are re-circulating as standard, and some people have had issues changing to vent to atmosphere. If you search for metered and recirculating or something like that you should come up with some threads that explain it very well.